CP cow_dustbowl_a1

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
Welcome to Cow_Dustbowl_a1

You may be asking yourself: BT, what the fuck? Did you just switch out the control points for cows?

The answer is yes and no. The gameplay is still A/D with BLU attacking and RED defending. The layout is the same, and yes, there are cows at the 6 points. BUT:

If you look at the screenshots, you’ll notice that the first cow has a green ! above its head. Whenever anyone from BLU is within a certain radius of the cow, this green ! will appear. Even disguised and cloaked spies.

You may notice a red “do not” sign on some of the screenshots. This appears when any member from RED is near the cow, including disguised and cloaked spies.

Why are these icons necessary? Because this gamemode is NOT CAPTURE POINTS.

This game mode involves killing the enemy team’s cow. Using a melee weapon. Yes, you heard me right. BLU has to actually run up to the cow and hit it with any melee weapon in order to capture the point. Rockets, bullets, fire, etc. do not work. Only melee weapons. To make it more difficult, the cow cannot be felled if a member of the RED team is close enough to the cow to make the “do not” sign appear.

Unfortunately, the mode runs on the honor system, because a single spy can ruin a game by stealthily prodding the cow when RED is not paying attention.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I made it and because it exists and you have to be aware of it. Also, since I made it, I am providing YOU, reader, with the link to the map download: Here

If you actually play this with a small group of people, PLEASE take a demo of it and upload a youtube video or send me the .demo file or something.

I make these ridiculous things so they can be played.

Disclaimer: This is very not serious. A game mode consisting of cows that needs to be melee hit is not a serious game mode because of the Spy class and because ubers make it hilariously unbalanced toward the BLU team.

Also I am aware there are lighting errors, but it takes 30 minutes to compile and this is not serious at alllllll.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
I can't yell at you for this because I made koth_cow last weekend.

I've had the cow_ gametype in my folders for far too long. It originally was just thrown into a map I was working on, but no one wants to play a new gametype on a dev_textured map, so I just threw it into dustbowl.

I'm sure the gameplay is horrid, but it was hilarious to watch people run at the cows with their melee weapons out and swing it just as the "do not" sign appeared.

If anyone puts this on a server or anything, please let me know! I'm not so much interested in how it plays as I am interested in if you have fun~

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
You should make a map where red has a barnyard, with a pasture of like 5 to 9 cows, and blu has to go in and destroy each one.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
You should make a map where red has a barnyard, with a pasture of like 5 to 9 cows, and blu has to go in and destroy each one.

That was the original idea, except a lone cow with no RED people on it takes about .2 seconds to kill and it only really becomes a game when there's 1 cow left.

I had an idea for a map that was peace-sign shaped and each of the sections would have 3-5 cows in it before going on to another section, but it relied too heavily on me making displacements.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
peta man... watch out for peta

Could you include the entity setup for this along with cowbowl? And have you thought about making it medieval mode...

Cloak and Dagger Spy on Red? D :

Needs more cowbell.

fubarFX: That's why they're cardboard. No actual cows were harmed in the making of this map. Plus, these cows are invulnerable to everything except melee weapons? Although maybe it does encourage people to use cows as target practice. Whoops!

Terwonick: I can make a separate file with the entity setup, but it needs to connect to the capture points you're using? It's kind of complex, because it keeps all of the same capture point entities, hence why you see the floating "RED" holograms above the cows. I had to do a lot of copy/pasting outputs from the capture areas into the cow entities to get it to work...and I don't want anyone copy/pasting the entity setup into their map thinking it'll work right away?

Hopefully that makes sense. It's complicated, but I'll try...soon.

EDIT: Whooops! Medieval mode! I didn't want the map to force it. If the server owner wants to force medieval mode, then that is fine, but pyros with airblasts become crazy useful for making sure someone running at the cow with a melee weapon out don't make it in time.

Behind You: That's why the defending the cow radius is kind of small. You could conceivably get a pyro to light the whole area up pretty quick or run about crazily with your melee weapon to find the spy.

Annnd also part of why the mode runs on the honor system. Spies can really ruin the mode due to their ability to cloak/disguise and murder the cows.

grazr: If there was a model and sound and if the mode had its own map, I would definitely have the final cow under a giant cowbell that rung when the BLU team was close.

Last edited: