Contest idea thread!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Ah.

Well, I'm all for a linear CP map contest, although there are already tons of linear CP maps out there. I'd say we wait and see what the Scout update brings - if anything.

Ceiling Man

L3: Member
Jan 27, 2009
I have an idea:

░▒▓Around the World▓▒░

What you have to do is:

Recreate a location somewhere around the world in Team Fortress 2 (NYC, Niagara Falls... The Taj Mahal), it can be any gametype as long as it has the TF2 feel to it.

I was inspired for this contest while I was working on Ancient Mesopotamia. (A school project which I feel like turning into a map)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I have an idea:

░▒▓Around the World▓▒░

What you have to do is:

Recreate a location somewhere around the world in Team Fortress 2 (NYC, Niagara Falls... The Taj Mahal), it can be any gametype as long as it has the TF2 feel to it.

I was inspired for this contest while I was working on Ancient Mesopotamia. (A school project which I feel like turning into a map)

Nice Idea, if it happens I may just do it on my own street... muahahahah

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ah.

Well, I'm all for a linear CP map contest, although there are already tons of linear CP maps out there. I'd say we wait and see what the Scout update brings - if anything.

If the intention is to fill in gaps where few good custom maps exist...
- thanks to the last contest there are an abundance of pl maps
- there are alot of linear cp maps, though not many "good" ones per say...but then the official ones (well, granery) aren't exactly spectacular, so id say this has potential
- multi-stage attack and defend maps (dustbowl) are in very short supply, a few months back i did alot of research on them with the express purpose of a server dedicated specifically to that gametype, I found about 6 maps that were playable, by playable I mean all the setup gates worked, the rounds transitioned cleanly, the cap times were reasonable, and the lighting wasn't painful. Of these playable maps only 1 or 2 could be called a "final", so...I don't know, I think this gametype needs some work, I would recommend this for a contest
- gravelpit types almost fall into the same category as dustbowl maps, but triple the numbers i gave for dustbowl
- ctf probably has the most custom maps in comparison to everything else...but very few good ones in a final state
- arena is well covered

its always possible that a contest could be made where each person only made one round and then the maps were combined...but I remember how the groups payload colab failed...

Memento Mori

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
How about the Double Mapper Contest (which seems to already be going on in WIP) where you have to make a map with someone else?

Feb 14, 2008
I'm all for 5 CP maps. We need more of them.

And with that double mapper idea... yo MuffinMan!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I'd probably be more inclinded to a multi-stage A/D like dustbowl.

It can be fun gameplay to try and get that next stage as opposed to 5 point caps that just mean you attack from the other team color.

Might be good to limit it to 2 points for a contest, that way they won't get too big and are more likely to be finished. Then if anyone wants to add or have a 3rd stage ready for post-contest release it would be up to them.

It would also be alot easier to gametest a bunch of 2 stage maps than it would 3 stage maps.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Doubler mapper idea sounds good.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
That double-mapper idea isn't bad at all. It would be a very fun experience to work together with someone else on a map, so I'm definitely supporting that idea.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
But what's a good way to group people? The only fair thing I can think of is to have random assignments.

No that wouldn't work, you'd end up with people dropping off the face of the internet (as they do) and we'd end up with a big fat zero finished maps. The only way to make a paired up contest work is if people picked their partners themselves and even then I don't think we'd get many (if any) final entries, considering the map that has inspired all the duo talk can't be entered.

personally I think this would fail as epically as the last multi-person map that was attempted. However as I'm not someone who is likely to drop of the face of the internet I think if I set up something like a round robin and I had tight scheduals for everyone to stick to it might just work.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, I tried doing a 3-person collaboration awhile ago, and it didn't turn out so well. I don't know if it's the best idea, considering your entry relies heavily on another person that you don't know IRL

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
The only way to make a paired up contest work is if people picked their partners themselves and even then I don't think we'd get many (if any) final entries, considering the map that has inspired all the duo talk can't be entered.
We couldn't enter rr_vista? :(

HAHA, jokes aside, I'd totally do it with a new map anyways. With anyone. As long as they tried with me and whatnot.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Bomb cart contest? >.>

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
wait you're making a map with someone else?? I thought you and chrono were making two separate maps....
We're collabing on two maps. He's been really :|ish to me about not sharing the .vmf of it right now.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
The main thing I think would happen is that the elite mappers would collab together and it leaves the noobs like me together with other noobs. So it would have to be a skilled mapper paired with a noob mapper or something like that.

~M