Contest idea thread!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah collabs can be a pain with 2 dedicated mappers. Start throwing in a bunch of peopel who 'want' to map, or 'have time' to map. Or you do work and someone else takes their time....

I think another small contest could be cool.

Much like the one where we made a building.

But this time maybe a L bend 'hallway'. Like we have 5 blocks of 512x512 space to use.
3 of them HAVE to be in a line. The other 2 can be places anywhere. So you could make a zig-zag, and L bend, a T shape... They just have to share verts like you do for displacements.

As tall as you want (at least tall enough for good sticky jumps).

So instead of one building it can be several, inside and out. At the end they could be put together in blocks to make a payload or CP map.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
Adding my vote for a small contest like the spawn room one

I'd really like to participate in one of these, but I'm at the very bottom of the learning curve!

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
something small would be nice. the payload one was pretty big and is still going even though its already over. Something quick, painless and easy to vote on without lots of play testing to get that precise vote rating we all want to give.

ProfFiendish

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2008
Asymmetrical CTF or CP! Yes!

That would be a lot of fun in my opinion; the contest could just be to block out an asymmetrical map with dev textures, and the entries would be rated on balance.

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008

That would be a lot of fun in my opinion; the contest could just be to block out an asymmetrical map with dev textures, and the entries would be rated on balance.

I like that idea a lot.

no props, textures and lighting to worry about. Just raw map layout.

Definatly a contest for every skill level!

ProfFiendish

Nov 15, 2008
*sigh*... Muffin's probably right on that. But for hopefully there would be a few decent entries, so that the winner wouldn't be a "cp_orange".

The reason I suggest dev-texturing is that it would make the contest more informal and put the focus on map layout and balance, which would be the most important for asymmetrical maps.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I should probably mention that despite what I said, I totally agree that a contest focused on gameplay only would be great.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008

I like this alot! Would be fun to see how balanced you can actually get things like that :)

Anyway, I would like to suggest a contest where you have to do something that makes it better to detail maps for the Alpine theme. Right now there's not really many things for detailing, only one ground texture and things like that. You could make a poster, a model, a prefab, anything. The entries would have to be useable, look good and fit into the alpine theme.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I like this alot! Would be fun to see how balanced you can actually get things like that :)

Anyway, I would like to suggest a contest where you have to do something that makes it better to detail maps for the Alpine theme. Right now there's not really many things for detailing, only one ground texture and things like that. You could make a poster, a model, a prefab, anything. The entries would have to be useable, look good and fit into the alpine theme.

I like this idea. So I +1 it :D

~M

Sep 12, 2008
I should wait a bit until the scout update comes out.. You don't know what they've got left for us, a new alpine themed map perhaps?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Who knows... we still might get the rumored Third Community Map with it's fan-made gamemode

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah.
Maybe something like a contest with the new gamemode?

ProfFiendish

Nov 15, 2008
I should wait a bit until the scout update comes out.. You don't know what they've got left for us, a new alpine themed map perhaps?

The double payload looks desert-themed, so I think this is probably unlikely.

In which case, an alpine-themed modelling/texturing contest would be pretty nice.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
I say the next contest should be the best central point for a symmetrical CP map.
Voted on detail/gameplay(maybe just detail)

ProfFiendish

Nov 15, 2008
Gameplay! Gameplay is more important!

But yeah, that's another good idea for a contest.