Contest idea thread!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I also think you're totally wrong about mapping = modeling. Not to deny that modeling is indeed an artform in its own and a very important part of game design but modeling compliments the work you do in your mapping. The map has to contain the base brushwork with really the models only there to make it look pretty, and since the gameplay is fantasticly more important than the aesthetics having beautiful custom models falls to a very insignificant part of mapping, especially as we have so many great models at our disposal already.

I would answer it with a quote to myself that I said above:

Yes you're right on the modelling is not the same as mapping , it's just I think modelling is part of mapping.

So what I think is you can't map without models (unless you're doing a orange box), so if you want to make something not common in the game, you need to know modelling.

You'd think the same for a texturing contest, but the texturing contests we've had so far have recieved very little intrest and since modeling requires even more unique skills I doubt we'd get many (if any).

Perhaps a trial-run of a modeling contest would be best, say we pick a theme like 'mining' and allow people to submit either a model, a texture, a small section of a map (or any combination of the three). This would allow us to gauge how many people are interested in modeling or texturing for contests

I think texture contest are not well planned. Doing a texture without any reason it's not very cool. But making a prop that you can add to your map is something that people likes more than doing a texture if you're not going to use it.

So making a modelling contest would encourage those who wants to start modelling, then we could make a prop-pack of the entries so everyone can use it on their map.

For example, first modelling contest, Making a Mining Prop. People will use all the models made on the contest for the dustbowl-like maps.

I'm remotely interested in modeling, but turned off by the concept I'd have to buy software to do it.

You can use XSI MOD Tool, it's free and it has its own Valve format exporter/importer

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
So what I think is you can't map without models (unless you're doing a orange box), so if you want to make something not common in the game, you need to know modelling.

i guess my 40+ hl1/2, 20+ doom/heretic/hexan, 10+ wolfenstein3d maps aren't maps after all.

modelling is a new concept in map making, they are completely unnessary to complete a map, they just complement something that is already there.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
i guess my 40+ hl1/2, 20+ doom/heretic/hexan, 10+ wolfenstein3d maps aren't maps after all.

modelling is a new concept in map making, they are completely unnessary to complete a map, they just complement something that is already there.

We're talking about Source... you know?

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
We're talking about Source... you know?

yes. Source is one of many engines that have been used to make a FPS environment. If i remember correctly, you did bring up another game in your post too. something about how another game uses 100% models? I point out the older games because they had no models at all and were extreamely successful because the mapping was done properly and made to be interesting.

My point is that your looking at one aspect that is actually fairly new to the gaming world. If you look over everyones post, they agree that models are good and useful mapping tools. The difference is that we think the models add to the map, where your protraying that models are the map when they are not.

We are trying to show you that the brushs make the environment we all play in. they provide the gameplay, the flow of a player movement, and for the base for everything else. If your base is lacking, it doesn't matter how many extra details you add (aka models) you still end up with a square room with some random obstructions which look pretty.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
People, let's stay on track here, this is mapping with the TF2 Source SDK. Plenty of other engines exist, other games exists, and on and on.

We concern ourselves with TF2. Let's have TF2 Source-centric contests, and keep discussion to TF2 level creation.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
yes. Source is one of many engines that have been used to make a FPS environment. If i remember correctly, you did bring up another game in your post too. something about how another game uses 100% models? I point out the older games because they had no models at all and were extreamely successful because the mapping was done properly and made to be interesting.

My point is that your looking at one aspect that is actually fairly new to the gaming world. If you look over everyones post, they agree that models are good and useful mapping tools. The difference is that we think the models add to the map, where your protraying that models are the map when they are not.

I also said HL1 was brush based. And again, I said models are as important as brushes, I didn't say models were the things that makes the map.

And let's just end the discussion here.

kthnxbai :closedeyes:

Sep 12, 2008
I think someone will have to group all the good idea's togheter (probably an admin or moderator), and make a voting thread:
Vote for the idea you like, and when you don't like the idea with the most votes, it's your problem cause it looks like others do like it.. and hopefully/maybe there won't be any discussion anymore..

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
And let's just end the discussion here.

kthnxbai :closedeyes:

SOOOOoooo close to ending that argument in a civil manner, lol.

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
You know, all the contests so far have been straight forward items with a serious nature. Maybe the next should be something purely for the fun of it.

So, how bout just a 'silly map' contest. Keep it sorta small maybe 5 or 6 rooms. I bet more people than me have some odd idea for a map that we know would never work as a normal map, but would be fun just to see it/build it/make people laugh/etc.

Jan 31, 2008
You know, all the contests so far have been straight forward items with a serious nature. Maybe the next should be something purely for the fun of it.

So, how bout just a 'silly map' contest. Keep it sorta small maybe 5 or 6 rooms. I bet more people than me have some odd idea for a map that we know would never work as a normal map, but would be fun just to see it/build it/make people laugh/etc.

This would be nice.
Sometimes you can get tired of mapping serious maps.
Would be cool to see some creative maps to have fun in :)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008

Is this Mario Cart silly or what?

On another note, how about creating a fully functional building using lighting, and custom textures, with a limited amount of props, so the mapper in question needs to try and make the building look pretty without too much aid of props.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
We should wait for the Scout Update to come around, and see if we can make a contest out of the new gametype.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
I was going to say that :p

We could also have a skybox contest ;)

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i think doing a push type map contest for the competitive community would be sweet.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Perhaps a trial-run of a modeling contest would be best, say we pick a theme like 'mining' and allow people to submit either a model, a texture, a small section of a map (or any combination of the three). This would allow us to gauge how many people are interested in modeling or texturing for contests.
This is a great idea, and is in my opinion what we should go for. It really makes the contest more appealing. And by this, if someone wants to submit a model they actually CAN and will probably be voted high too!
I was going to say that :p

We could also have a skybox contest ;)

You are talking about a 3d skybox, right? or a skybox texture?

Feb 14, 2008
This is a great idea, and is in my opinion what we should go for. It really makes the contest more appealing. And by this, if someone wants to submit a model they actually CAN and will probably be voted high too!

You are talking about a 3d skybox, right? or a skybox texture?

Both.

Making a push map for the comps is a cool idea... as that's sort of the point of my latest endeavour, but mine is to create a decent 5 CP map.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
yeah, do you mean A/D?