Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming

Contest idea thread!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by FaTony, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think the reasoning for not featuring it was because it wasn't made by us.

2. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Has this idea been pitched:
    Back to school content pack competition,
    Models, Textures, Props, Maps all in the theme of school and education and 1950's school quality.
    Each catogory would have its own competition and the best content would make it into a custom content pack. (Excluding the maps)

3. tyler

aa tyler

Positive Ratings:
    What kinds of maps would use those?

4. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Just all the top maps that clearly were shown. If thats 3 maps or 5 shouldnt matter as long as the maps have proven themselve to work.

However, 1 issue is there:
    The map must have the results known before phase 2 starts. This can take a while and during that waiting moment no progress can happen. Many prob dont want to wait for that when their map would be borderline. So i rather see just a few maps especialy delivered for such contest.

5. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    School themed maps with hidden purposes, tight corridoors, small areas mostly for flanking, sounds like a good idea....
    Also im not the pro mapper here, school is a theme not a layout.

6. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mortimer Stroodle

Mortimer Stroodle L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Given that Valve has just posted a blog saying that the tf2 halloween this year will be a community update, I think a Halloween Event contest would be a good choice. If you guys could organize it to end in about a month, a quick contest to make event versions of Valve maps would give Valve a lot of choices for event maps to add. I don't know if you guys would have enough time, though.

8. Tumby

aa Tumby

Positive Ratings:
    Way too late for that kinda stuff now. It's really hard to make a proper map within a month. Heck, I've been spending a month now making a halloween reskin of lumberyard and I still don't have a 3D skybox.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    You cant really flank in junction

10. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    If we hand valve a glorious map for halloween, they wont do anything themselves. Though its great they include the community, dont take advantage and only use community content valve.

11. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Man, I can't wait to shoot up these mercenaries in this map I based on my school.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    No worse than rockstar games...

13. Lain

aa Lain heath ledger with some dreads

Positive Ratings:
    I was thinking of doing an event version of a 5cp when i can't think of mapping ideas, but I don't know what gimmick you would attach to 5cp. Because unlike Koth_ or PLR_ to win most of the team actually has to play the game.

this could be you!

Actually I remember back on DoomWorld there was a guy who made columbine levels before they shot up the place. Too bad the levels where shit (Cyberdemon and Baron spam).

14. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure that is illegal.

15. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Has there been a gimmick contest, the goal is to make the map with the most interesting / funny / impressive gimmicks in it.

16. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like this idea, what about an low-gravity/space contest or a dodgeball map contest or a special delivery (ultimate gimmick) contest?

17. radarhead

aa radarhead Oh?? You're a TF2 mapper? Where's your fursona

Positive Ratings:
    It's called the april fools gameday... well, except that isn't judged. BUT IT SHOULD BE

18. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    well this has been done before or half of it koth + plr dynamic contest someone problemly has thought about already:psyduck:

19. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't one of the shooters make Doom levels based on the school for practice or something?

20. Kingdom

Kingdom L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    So, I had this idea and decided to quickly make up some concept art for the idea.

The concept of the contest would be to make maps in and around bush-lands / grasslands type areas. I feel that there is real potential for this type of locale that I rarely see in any maps despite the odd one here and there. Seeing that some of TF2's lore is also based in Australia I feel like there might be some cool ideas there as well (Australium Mine anyone?). So that's my idea and I'd love to hear what you think.

Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming