CP Castles

Mar 20, 2012
Is the wall a func_detail or another entity that isn't classified under world geometry?

Have you used manually positioning (alt + drag) to position any walls? Are there any gaps between the floor/ceiling or neighboring walls of that wall?

Are you using area portals? (Area portal leaks can sometimes give odd pointfiles that lead to solid geometry)

Have you used the 'Carve Tool' at all throughout the making of this map?

Are there any entities out in the void?

If you answered "yes" for any of those, specify which one and the manner of that particular circumstance.

If you answered "no" for all of those, remake the wall and double check that there are no leaks anywhere else the map.

playnwinplayer

L1: Registered
Jul 24, 2012
Is the wall a func_detail or another entity that isn't classified under world geometry?

Have you used manually positioning (alt + drag) to position any walls? Are there any gaps between the floor/ceiling or neighboring walls of that wall?

Are you using area portals? (Area portal leaks can sometimes give odd pointfiles that lead to solid geometry)

Have you used the 'Carve Tool' at all throughout the making of this map?

Are there any entities out in the void?

If you answered "yes" for any of those, specify which one and the manner of that particular circumstance.

If you answered "no" for all of those, remake the wall and double check that there are no leaks anywhere else the map.

It is just a brush, not an entity.
I am not using area portals.
I used carve quite a bit, but not on this wall.
No entities out of the world.

Mar 20, 2012
playnwinplayer said:
I used carve quite a bit, but not on this wall.

Yikes. The carve tool is a bit of archaic device for the Source SDK and, as you're probably about to hear from numerous other mappers, is highly discouraged. This is because the carve tool creates a lot of unnecessary brushes and, in the making of these brushes, can create what is called a "micro-leak" - a leak that is difficult to notice. It also makes optimizing a total nightmare.

Even if the point file isn't directing itself right towards an offending carved brush, it is possible the carve brushes is causing the leak. I suggest you remove all carved brush and try to recreate the brushes using vertex editing (Shift + V). You're aiming to get a few balanced brushes rather than a spiral of many little brushes.

Remove and replace those, and if you still have the leak, then report back. Worst case scenario, you can PM your .vmf to me and I'll take a look to see what might be causing the leak.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
Yikes. The carve tool is a bit of archaic device for the Source SDK and, as you're probably about to hear from numerous other mappers, is highly discouraged. This is because the carve tool creates a lot of unnecessary brushes and, in the making of these brushes, can create what is called a "micro-leak" - a leak that is difficult to notice. It also makes optimizing a total nightmare.

Even if the point file isn't directing itself right towards an offending carved brush, it is possible the carve brushes is causing the leak. I suggest you remove all carved brush and try to recreate the brushes using vertex editing (Shift + V). You're aiming to get a few balanced brushes rather than a spiral of many little brushes.

Remove and replace those, and if you still have the leak, then report back. Worst case scenario, you can PM your .vmf to me and I'll take a look to see what might be causing the leak.
There is a vertex edit tool?!?!?!? THANK YOU!!!! I am used to Blender, and I was hoping for something like this. I used carve quite liberally, so it might take me a while.

Thank you SO much for your help!

Mar 20, 2012
No problem. Just make sure the brushes you vertex edit are acceptable solids. Each time you finish vertex editing, press alt + p (the error checker) and make sure there's no "Invalid Solid Structures."

The Source engine relies completely on convex geometry to draw its spacial dimensions. Concave geometry is invalid and will cause your map to crash or, worst, corrupt the file.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
No problem. Just make sure the brushes you vertex edit are acceptable solids. Each time you finish vertex editing, press alt + p (the error checker) and make sure there's no "Invalid Solid Structures."

The Source engine relies completely on convex geometry to draw its spacial dimensions. Concave geometry is invalid and will cause your map to crash or, worst, corrupt the file.
Thanks for the tip. But no concave? Bummer...

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
And with the medics, they are not somewhat balanced, seeing as the crossbow does little damage as is, less than a melee hit on average.
Not everyone will have a crossbow, huntsman, eyelander, etc. Designing a map or even a specific area that goes by the thought of hoping that some one picks medic to play, with the crossbow, and wants to use it isn't all that good for making a decent, playable, map.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
Not everyone will have a crossbow, huntsman, eyelander, etc. Designing a map or even a specific area that goes by the thought of hoping that some one picks medic to play, with the crossbow, and wants to use it isn't all that good for making a decent, playable, map.
In case you missed it, that was a reply to a guy suggesting that the medic would be OP. I disagree, because the crossbow is weak unless at long range, which makes it more balanced.

The area is not based on the crossbow, but at first appearances, the map appears to give a HUGE advantage to ranged, I.E. Huntsman and Crossbow.

Refer to my other posts for my explanation as to why it is balanced.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
you know what, I think I like you. but you can't have balance arguments when your map is not sealed, was built with the carve tool and doesn't have cubemaps. if you want my opinion, balance is the least of your concerns.
This is my first map, and a friend recommended I use carve. And apperantly that prevented me from having a sealed map. And I know how cubemaps work, I was going to do that after I fixed all the problems, as cubemaps were not high on my priority list.

And I still worry about balance.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
I am hosting a small server. My url is:

playnwin.servegame.com

you may have to directly connect. I am hosting this map, and make a post if anything is wrong, could be better, or you want bots. Or if it crashes.

playnwinplayer

Jul 24, 2012
Everyone check this map out, and tell me if it turns out okay, with the long ranges being difficult for ranged, after all.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
From the screenshots, it looks like you could need some more geometry - possibly some that isn't so squarish.
In this picture for example, you can see that a castle can consist of more than boxes, ranging over circular or octagonal towers, as well as bridges and overhanging roofs.

If you could spice the areas of combat up a bit, that would be nice too. Flat open boxes is the most boring layout ever (and something most people here have seen far too many times before) Do something creative to the space!