Badlands Classic.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I noticed you said you making stairs where ladders should be. Why do this? You can make ladders in TF2, for reference check out cp_beach. I've played the map and the ladder works great.
They are not real ladders, real ladders do not exist in the game code. Those are just very thin stairs so that you run up them quickly and vertically, try going down them and you'll see what I mean.

rubexcube

L1: Registered
Dec 18, 2007
I like the way the stairs are looking. Could be a better way to go. The ladder in beach is a bit of a pain in the ass to navigate especially when you are a scout.

Kirko

L2: Junior Member
Jan 16, 2008
u dont need all the signs. people new to the map will hardly even look at them. they just wonder around and will figure it out. its not a tough map to learn where stuff is. really like that ur making this map turn out great. badlands is one of my favorite maps for tfc. make sure to not jib us engies on the metal and building spots tho by the flag. i like the water in the valley too.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
u dont need all the signs. people new to the map will hardly even look at them. they just wonder around and will figure it out. its not a tough map to learn where stuff is. really like that ur making this map turn out great. badlands is one of my favorite maps for tfc. make sure to not jib us engies on the metal and building spots tho by the flag. i like the water in the valley too.

Do not remove signage. I've found in Beta tests (ones where I stand right over the person's shoulder [Thank LANs]) that new people do use signs to navigate. Badlands was one of the largest TFC maps, both volume and alternate pathways considered, and it follows that it's one of the toughest to learn. Maybe you don't have a problem with it because it's "one of your favorite maps for tfc."

Kirko

Jan 16, 2008
Do not remove signage. I've found in Beta tests (ones where I stand right over the person's shoulder [Thank LANs]) that new people do use signs to navigate. Badlands was one of the largest TFC maps, both volume and alternate pathways considered, and it follows that it's one of the toughest to learn. Maybe you don't have a problem with it because it's "one of your favorite maps for tfc."

idk. i think dustbowl is hardest to learn. i mean badlands is just a base with a spiral, a bridge, and a valley. no really that hard.

P

Pookiemccoo

I just played the b2 version of this map. First of all, job well done!!!
A few minor remarks:
- I'd remove the health/ammo packs from the sniper nest overlooking the canyon, there is a resup nearby and without the health/ammo packs snipers are at least forced to retreat once in a while.
- In one of the resups you added 2 siderooms with no real purpose (other than confusing me ;) ). I think there is no reason to keep these.

Other than these remarks I think the map is absolutely fabulous :)

Kirko

Jan 16, 2008
A few minor remarks:
- I'd remove the health/ammo packs from the sniper nest overlooking the canyon, there is a resup nearby and without the health/ammo packs snipers are at least forced to retreat once in a while.
- In one of the resups you added 2 siderooms with no real purpose (other than confusing me ;) ). I think there is no reason to keep these.

those packs are there on the first one. and there is no real purpose of them because the other team cant even use them. but it helps so if there is a sniper who snipes there(never saw a sniper there playing the game its just a boring spot) to defend his side better without having to run back because by time he would of gotten back they would already be up there.

P

Pookiemccoo

those packs are there on the first one. and there is no real purpose of them because the other team cant even use them. but it helps so if there is a sniper who snipes there(never saw a sniper there playing the game its just a boring spot) to defend his side better without having to run back because by time he would of gotten back they would already be up there.

Are we talking about the same sniper nest? Because I remember picking up the powerups inside the enemy nest. I'm talking about the nest covering the 'back entrance' to the base. The resup is just around the corner for the players defending that spot, so there is ample time to run back and forth.

Kirko

Jan 16, 2008
Are we talking about the same sniper nest? Because I remember picking up the powerups inside the enemy nest. I'm talking about the nest covering the 'back entrance' to the base. The resup is just around the corner for the players defending that spot, so there is ample time to run back and forth.

but then the enemy doesnt have any healthpacks/ammo for them. they cant use that resupply.

P

Pookiemccoo

but then the enemy doesnt have any healthpacks/ammo for them. they cant use that resupply.

True. But I think adding the powerups to the lower sniperdeck (the one you have to crouch to get into) might do the trick :) That way enemy snipers can be chased away.

Another small error I found, it's possible to sticky jump on top of the canyon.
Screenshot of me facing enemy sniper nests. Promptly got me called a cheater. I really didn't jump 'through' the map or walls or anything, but it's possible to sticky/rocket jump on top of the rock formations in the canyon and walk over them.

B

Buster Charlie

A few minor remarks:

The main spawn is actually the side room, because in TF2 you can't bring the flag into the real spawn room. So I had to make a spawn area to keep the original cap area.

The rest is just for decoration, but thats why I put the barricade in the 'machinery room'

B

Buster Charlie

I did remove the ammopack from the sniper deck, I don't think that's too bad of a change. I also made all the packs small. I might remove the one from the flag exit also if that is a big exploit.

B

Buster Charlie

True. But I think adding the powerups to the lower sniperdeck (the one you have to crouch to get into) might do the trick :) That way enemy snipers can be chased away.

Another small error I found, it's possible to sticky jump on top of the canyon.
Screenshot of me facing enemy sniper nests. Promptly got me called a cheater. I really didn't jump 'through' the map or walls or anything, but it's possible to sticky/rocket jump on top of the rock formations in the canyon and walk over them.

I'll try moving the health to the lower sniper deck, maybe people will use it more then?

When I compiled this map, I forgot to include the player clips so thats one of the reasons it is so buggy. ;)

B

Buster Charlie

*sign* Somewhere along the line my red base got some geometry offset. I'll have to splice in a older map file but I have made some good progress.

1) Fixed (hopefully) the "can't find the flag" issue.

2) Added more player clips (spiral stairs, stairs, etc)

3) tweaked the displacements and added displacements to spawn room.

B

Buster Charlie

Hammer ate my map file and my autosaves did not go back far enough.

Because of hammers instability, just trying to clone the bad parts of the base is resulting in it producing more buggy hamer errors.

SOOO.

I need to load up a older map of beta2, then implement all the changes I made in beta3 into it. This will take a while so I unfortunaly Beta3 wont be released tonight, it will be released Monday at the earliest as it will take several hours to redo the map from beta2, and I am in no mental state to do it right now.

U

unknownzero

i know what you mean about hammer, its happened twice to me, and Valve simply told me they don't directly support hammer. I miss sandbox's features of auto recovery, and crash recovery ( where you could save your map before it crashed ).

Anyways keep your hopes up, and remember displacements are your friends :D

Fragimus_Max

L3: Member
Jan 13, 2008
There's a well classic out there?

Two of them, in fact.

One that seems like a port, possibly from FF, and one that's more TF2 themed and not all that bad.

The port uses HL2 texturing, so it doesn't really feel right - but plays more like the original.

I, personally, would like to see more CTF maps.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Well... I asked that 3 months ago. I knew about the one stolen from FF but don't count it, because even that is modified and thus not classic. (and it was stolen)