Badlands Classic.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
100th reply :D awesome map sorry to hear about your hammer problems, It sucks when things break. Is there a readily available original badlands vmf?

A

Aperture Scientist

Hello world :D you seem not to have caught the new, but here it is

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180349

OFFICIAL CTF_WELL IS OUT !!!!

couldnt turn off the caps, lots prolly understand me :')

But i'd like to know, since im new to this forum, apart from cp_warpath, what real good and equilibered maps have been adapted from TFC (or simply invented - as long as they're fun to play) ?
ofc i also know about castle, turbine n stuff, but i find only warpath is in the team fortress design and gameplay spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Buster Charlie

Although reviews in this and other foums have been very positive, and I have had great fun in the one or two times I've actually played my map....

Nobody seems to in fact like badlands.

In Fact nobody wants to play badlands.

Every day I scan servers for anyone running the map, if I find a server running the map, it is always empty. When I find a server voting for the map with it on the list nobody wants to play it, and in fact calls it 'boring' and it 'sucks'. Etc.

No to sound like sour grapes but I don't see any point in wasting any more of my life finishing this map if nobody likes the map.

So unless I start seeing people actually play badlands I'm going to shelve it for now and focus on my original map plans.

I apologized to anyone who wanted to collaborate with me on other TFC map remakes but I cannot spend the rest of my life trying to give the community quality remakes if they will reject them because they are not 'valve' maps or not box deathmatch maps.

Fear not Crimson, I will still help you like I promised because even this setback will not make me go back on my word.

And to people who enjoyed the map, I hope you find this release enjoyable and it brings back fond memories of TFC.

I will continue to develop maps for TF2 in the hopes I can find something that people will find enjoyable. I realize however the average player couldn't care less how fucking ugly and stupid a map looks, judging what is popular, so I will focus on smaller maps and not worry about actually making them look like any semblance of effort was put into them.

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Buster, I completely emphasise with you on this.

Ill start by saying I think you have probly made the most polished, greatest looking map of all the customs - up there with Quarry and Turbine.

It is extremely frustrating to invest the amount of time in a map like I have done with ctf_powerhouse to not have it played on servers.
Valve releases ctf_well, which lets be honest, is pretty bad and its now in the standard rotations.

If anyone else had of released that it would have not gotten hosted or played, players would complain of it being too big, class biased etc.

Games players are a fickle bunch, youre likely to get flamed, praised or just ignored. Some people ask me whether im making another map...whats the point? Theres very little reward apart from the personal pleasure of being creative.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I could'nt agree more Noggin. People always whine if they are on a custom if they are losing or if they aren't playing dustbowl or 2fort with instant respawn. It's just a bunch of counterstrikers that have a new game...

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Sounds like you have a case of the orange_x downers. Welcome to TF2 :(

B

Buster Charlie

Hahah Counterstrike indeed!

What I find Ironic is millions of people wait 5 or 10 minutes to reach point A to B in World of Warcraft but bitch about waiting 15 seconds to spawn in TF2.

In counter strike you can wait minutes for the round to end also..

Oh Well.

Like I said I will still try and release a original map but honestly I don't understand..

How many 24/7 2fort / dustbowl /whatever servers do we need? I mean, I love the default valve maps but they've been done to death. I'll play ANY custom map as long as it has class switching in the spawn room and blockers to keep the enemy out of the spawn.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Hahah Counterstrike indeed!

What I find Ironic is millions of people wait 5 or 10 minutes to reach point A to B in World of Warcraft but bitch about waiting 15 seconds to spawn in TF2.

In counter strike you can wait minutes for the round to end also..

Oh Well.

Like I said I will still try and release a original map but honestly I don't understand..

How many 24/7 2fort / dustbowl /whatever servers do we need? I mean, I love the default valve maps but they've been done to death. I'll play ANY custom map as long as it has class switching in the spawn room and blockers to keep the enemy out of the spawn.

These guys seem to like it :thumbup:

http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=5305

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
To Buster and Noggin:

I'd just like to say that both of your maps have been standbys on my server. Powerhouse was one of the first quality custom maps I added to my server and will always be one of my favorites because of its looks and the excellent shutdown CTF gameplay I wish more maps would shoot for. It's sad but true to say most public servers will shy away from Powerhouse because it requires a bit more thinking than most vanilla CTF maps, so the large majority of the TF2 player base who are unwilling to learn the map and think outside the box will cast it aside. Regarding Badlands, I absolutely agree with the sentiments of my fellow mappers when they say it's one of the best maps out there right now. I was never a big TFC player and still appreciate the map, while the TFC veterans that frequent my server absolutely love it. Unfortunately few non-TFC players will think as I do and be open to a design that isn't as straightforward as say 2fort, where the cap point seems strangely placed and there are almost no obvious choke points a team could turtle around. To me, as both a server admin and a mapper, these qualities make the map stand out amongst even the best traditional CTF maps for being unique; I only wish everyone else would prefer something different and well made to the same old tired 2fort.

So, end ramble. I love both of these maps and it's really disheartening to see the public shun them because they're different and they're unwilling to try something new. You can always stop by the Apex-Games.net server (Noggin has :D) and see just how much some of us *do* care.

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks Apex, mappers appreciate and rely on server owners.

Not to turn this thread into a bitch thread but youre right about the 24/7 Dustbowl/2fort servers. I just dont get it, especially as Im not a big fan of either map.

The TF2 forums got real excited by ctf_quarry when they saw the early screenshots, even with the expert polish that map has its virtually non existant on rotations.
Meanwhile, floodzone, lazytown, Mariokart and cp_orange_x are on a bunch of servers!

As a mapper I dont know what else there is to do. I, like Vilepickle, go on a promotional tour of the forums and hope for the interest.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks Apex, mappers appreciate and rely on server owners.

I only wish I had more servers to run quality maps on. Sadly I barely scrape by with donations for a single server, and pay the rest out of pocket.

Noggin said:
Not to turn this thread into a bitch thread but youre right about the 24/7 Dustbowl/2fort servers. I just dont get it, especially as Im not a big fan of either map.

Neither am I. I don't like CP as a game mode in general, so Dustbowl has never been on my list of favorite maps. 2fort is a good map, don't get me wrong, but with Valve's constant focus on CP maps they more or less left CTF hanging and their single offering got old before the beta was even finished.

Noggin said:
The TF2 forums got real excited by ctf_quarry when they saw the early screenshots, even with the expert polish that map has its virtually non existant on rotations.
Meanwhile, floodzone, lazytown, Mariokart and cp_orange_x are on a bunch of servers!

I've been told by some regular players that it's rare to find a server that regularly reviews their map cycle like I do (or struggle with constant requests for surf maps, UGH!). I think that's kind of sad, because with any game the map selection is the most important part of your server, and what draws players more than anything. It's not that hard for me as an admin to hit up a couple of map sites once a week for new releases, and it only takes maybe ten minutes out of my day to add/remove maps from the rotation. A real shame to see so many servers set up and let run like wind-up toys, with no real effort to improve or even maintain them.

On a related note it's that very same disinterest in new maps that has me on the fence about my own CTF map project. It's bad enough I tend to be highly indecisive and leave things unfinished, but with a stunning lack of interest like this it's a wonder any talented mappers have the drive to release their work. On the other hand, I think about those maps that shine through the fog of orange/surf/etc and how much fun I have playing them on my server and hope that some day I can finish a project that will have the same effect on someone else.

Noggin said:
As a mapper I dont know what else there is to do. I, like Vilepickle, go on a promotional tour of the forums and hope for the interest.

I'd be willing to help if you need. I try to mention some of my favorite maps whenever I venture abroad to public servers, hoping someone will take notice. I really don't want TF2 to become another Counterstrike where Dustbowl and 2fort are the analog to dust2 and office.

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I just played your map for the first time.

1. Its beautifull. Really nice.

2. Too narrow paths. I can't blame you because you ported it exactly like I think. But I dont like the map. And buster, this is nothing against you since you ported it, but a personal matter. The map is soo beautifull and tf2 ish, but the map structure is just confusing, the intel is on a retarded place imho. I dunno why the tfc badlands was so awesome than?
Again, not aimed to you dude. You did a great job, its just me that doesnt like the map structure so much.

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks Apex, altho I dont really know if theres a solution, its down to the players.

Im not sure Steamworks will solve anything for the fickleness and attention span of the average player.

Ive suggested for a while a centralised section of Steam that accommodates content creators where server runners can be notified of new content and updates, theres already too many "TF2 map collection" sites.

As for Buster, I think its worth finishing off Badlands with a bit of tweaking for TF2 classes then before starting a map just see if it takes hold.

B

Buster Charlie

I just played your map for the first time.

1. Its beautifull. Really nice.

2. Too narrow paths. I can't blame you because you ported it exactly like I think. But I dont like the map. And buster, this is nothing against you since you ported it, but a personal matter. The map is soo beautifull and tf2 ish, but the map structure is just confusing, the intel is on a retarded place imho. I dunno why the tfc badlands was so awesome than?
Again, not aimed to you dude. You did a great job, its just me that doesnt like the map structure so much.

Thats fine. I'm not offended by people who dislike the design of badlands insofar that the original badlands has it's flaws. I made the map to be a faithful port because I wanted it as a 'gift' to the community, to play a old classic (warts and all) because valve shafted them on CTF maps.

3_stooges_geo

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2007
we play it once in a while on our server,the biggest complaints from players are that they dont know where to go and once they get there and get the flag,they dont know where to take it.

B

Buster Charlie

we play it once in a while on our server,the biggest complaints from players are that they dont know where to go and once they get there and get the flag,they dont know where to take it.

Well I can't help it if players are mentally handicapped.

I have a huge glowing capture point hologram that every player has to run through to even leave the spawn room.

I have a big caution stripe surrounding the capture point

I have no less than 3 capture point signs written on the capture point

I have a team colored spotlight pointing at the capture point.

ALL of these you HAVE to see because you spawn in a room where the only exit is a door facing the capture point. You have no choice but to see it. And every time you die, you have no choice to see it unless by some chance of fate you hit the secondary respawn.

Barring that.

EVERY POSSIBLE entrance to the base has a sign on the floor with a arrow pointing to the capture point.

Everywhere you go, at every juncture you could possibly hit from the outside of the base you see a sign with a arrow on the floor saying capture point.

So I'm sorry if people with fetal alcohol syndrom or down syndrom do not know where to capture the flag.

I felt that beta2 this was a huge problem because I didn't have all of the above, but now it's the players problem not mine because I can't solve illiteracy or mental retardation with good map design.

Last edited by a moderator:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Well I can't help it if players are mentally handicapped.

I have a huge glowing capture point hologram that every player has to run through to even leave the spawn room.

I have a big caution stripe surrounding the capture point

I have no less than 3 capture point signs written on the capture point

I have a team colored spotlight pointing at the capture point.

ALL of these you HAVE to see because you spawn in a room where the only exit is a door facing the capture point. You have no choice but to see it. And every time you die, you have no choice to see it unless by some chance of fate you hit the secondary respawn.

Barring that.

EVERY POSSIBLE entrance to the base has a sign on the floor with a arrow pointing to the capture point.

Everywhere you go, at every juncture you could possibly hit from the outside of the base you see a sign with a arrow on the floor saying capture point.

So I'm sorry if people with fetal alcohol syndrom or down syndrom do not know where to capture the flag.

I felt that beta2 this was a huge problem because I didn't have all of the above, but now it's the players problem not mine because I can't solve illiteracy or mental retardation with good map design.

:lol: