Badlands Classic.

rubexcube

L1: Registered
Dec 18, 2007
BusterCharlie, first off I would like to thank you for building this map. I have been anticipating the day that someone would release a TF2 version of this classic ever since I found out that it would not be included in the list of retail maps. From reading your posts on the forum I am happy to see that you are keeping the map as true to the original as possible, it looks great! I wanted to ask when you think the map might be ready to start conducting some play tests?

The Drizzle

Dec 19, 2007
I am very intrested in finding out when this will be finished. We will be putting it up on our server once it goes final. Very nice work Buster

B

Buster Charlie

Well I work every day till the 25th, so I will try to get some done in those days but I probably can't get a whole lot done because of work. Right now, the lighting is still a mess, but I need to finish the displacements along the spiral stairs, I need to add a way to get up the canyon in the front of the base (no ladders) and I need to refine the doors and then stitch the two halfs of the maps together and then'll we'll have a playable beta.

rubexcube

Dec 18, 2007
You might consider making some sort of zig zag path in the rock face or even ledges you can hop back and forth across to make your way up.

B

Buster Charlie

You might consider making some sort of zig zag path in the rock face or even ledges you can hop back and forth across to make your way up.

Well for the center canyon I made a U turn rock stairs in a cave. For the front, I will try to disguise a ramp/staircase as a rock formation.

B

Buster Charlie

I'll try to make some more progress for Christmas, right now i'm too worn out, I did finish the spiral stair displacement and almost get all the doors working. I just need to finish the main spawn displacements, and the 'ladder' replacements.

Some shots to keep your hope alive.

Flag room exit. You can see how I had to lower the floor a bit here to avoid the scout from being able to double jump into the flag room and bypass the entire base.

Top of spiral:

you can see some of the reinforcement beams I added.

Bottom of stairs.

I will try to get the seams in the displacement cleaned up, but there was no easy way to make this curved raising stairway seamless.

Elevator that will replace original ladder

B

Buster Charlie

Top of canyon exit 2) I know it's ugly, I'll have to see if I can do better but It's gonna be a pain in the ass to do it out of displacements, and it's a very steep climb. I couldn't cut into the area near the base much without creating a trap.

Bottom of stairs.

I guess the only thing else I could do is make the steps out of player no-clip and then make the visible rock stars them look more 'natural' but then that'll look weird with the players 'floating' up them if I don't do it right.

The first set of stairs. I had to cut into the side in order to still allow SG placement on that little mini cliff.

Looking down.

HO HO HO!

S

Snockis

Dude, those flights of steps are actually as I thought they would be, actually u made a better work of that part then I was hoping for, know that it's hard to walk up a level where it usually should be ladders, but again, great job.

Doesn't look to much alike a stairway.
and that elevator, well dude, have to say, don't think that valve can make it better :p

Merry Christmas dudes and Happy Holidays!

B

Buster Charlie

Okay map stiched together as one big map now. Need to be fixed before release:

Public doors will only open for team (oops)

capture point not added yet (oops)

Some lighting and displacement tweaking in connecting seam.

remove damage from elevator (I don't like it)

After that it should be ready for beta testing.

B

Buster Charlie

I got a lot of fixes done, a couple tweaks still needed. I'm working on some hint brushes so the map wont run like ass on older machines, still need to fix some of the displacements but my focus right now is getting it playable for beta. I can make it look nice once we're sure it's fun.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Keep going! Sounds like Valve is murdering badlands into a new creation, though thankfully not to the extent of Well (I hope), so you'll still be "classic" as you've intended.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Yes, don't let it discourage you. Your map is looking fantastic! I think Badlands is more suited to the CTF mechanic, remake or not. :)

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
If its CP it will definatly be not as good. I really hate what they did to well and frankly dislike CP either way.

-Buddikaman-

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
this is one of the maps i've most been looking forward too regardless or whether valve are making a new version or not.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
The map looks incredible! With all the drab maps currently, we have gotten bored on our server adding back old maps... lol. Please keep us updated on the new map release. Granted valve will release something similar I wouldn't hold my breath.

I noticed you said you making stairs where ladders should be. Why do this? You can make ladders in TF2, for reference check out cp_beach. I've played the map and the ladder works great.