Badlands Classic.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I'm speechless. This is one of the most professional looking maps I've ever seen. I'm curious, what's your prop % at when you do a full compile?

B

Buster Charlie

I'm speechless. This is one of the most professional looking maps I've ever seen. I'm curious, what's your prop % at when you do a full compile?

This will be my second map ever. My first was a limited release novelty 'party' map I did for TFC.

I hope if this is a sucess I will be able to do a map of my own design, and I hope this learning experience will allow me to try and finish this faster.

How do I parse the number of objects from the log file?

I removed some of the signs, Pretty much keeping them closer to the original signs. I've added a few more props to the spawn rooms to spice em up, But I really need to increase their size, the original TFC spawn rooms are tiny, in fact while this is a large map, a lot of the rooms are rather small.

I need to fix my doors, my areaportals are not properly working. Need to work on lighting.

It'll take a while to clean it up and get it ready for beta, hopefully this week depending on how much time I have before work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
I've been working on a Badlands remake of my own for a while now. Being the world's slowest mapper is not helping me either..

I'm considering not bothering now that I've seen some of the more recent screenshots of your map. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from the first screenshots- it looked to much like a direct port, but now it seems to be shaping up a lot more.

On the other hand, I think what I've got is still a lot more TF2-like. I'd show some screenshots, but I havn't compiled anything yet.

What do you reckon? Is it worth me abanoning my map?

B

Buster Charlie

I've been working on a Badlands remake of my own for a while now. Being the world's slowest mapper is not helping me either..

I'm considering not bothering now that I've seen some of the more recent screenshots of your map. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from the first screenshots- it looked to much like a direct port, but now it seems to be shaping up a lot more.

On the other hand, I think what I've got is still a lot more TF2-like. I'd show some screenshots, but I havn't compiled anything yet.

What do you reckon? Is it worth me abanoning my map?

If you are capturing the TF2 style then I would feel bad if you didn't release it. I'm releasing mine sooner because it's quicker to do a remake of a TFC map than completely re-invision it in the style of TF2.

If you are enjoying the map, keep at it! But if not, then work on something new? I was worried someone would release a port before me, but I also restarted this map at least once so every attempt is a learning experience.

Think: If this CTF version is popular, why not release yours as CP? Badlands is big enough. You could add some caves to the canyon area to enlarge it, add more parts to the base. I was severely tempted to expand the size of the map but I wanted to keep the original game play flow. Mostly so I wouldn't have to play test it as much!

Let's see some renders, compile often!

Scoobingsthe2nd

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 11, 2007
I'm always more of a fan when maps go the TF2 feel as opposed to the TFC feel... maybe you should post screenshots.

That said this map looks very good for what it's trying to achieve and I really look forward to playing it!:w00t:

B

Buster Charlie

I'm always more of a fan when maps go the TF2 feel as opposed to the TFC feel... maybe you should post screenshots.

That said this map looks very good for what it's trying to achieve and I really look forward to playing it!:w00t:

I agree with you 100%, and I am TRYING to keep it TF2 as much as possible, i'm not using ANY non TF2 textures or resources. I just felt that having a playable map sooner was more important than having a TF2 style conversion 6 months down the line. There is a sad lack of CTF maps in TF2.

B

Buster Charlie

Some quick updates, lots of pics

This is just some fluff side room for decoration. This is a 3 story 'engineering room' with some industrial equipment.

Another shot of the flag cap room:

You see some windows, and a door to the 'fluff' room. I wanted the respawn/cap point to seem a lot larger than it was in the original so I added some 'base' stuff.

shots of the 'computer room'

B

Buster Charlie

Shot of the battlements, I added some reinforcement ribbing to this area, kinda has this cathedral thing going on.
Another shot of respawn.

outside of base again

sewer shot, I need to fix the lighting, too dark.

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
Indeed memories of a month ago going through the TFC maps trying to theorize which ones people who actually played the game would want remade.

Pad See Ew

L1: Registered
Dec 1, 2007
Have you or anyone tried using the flag model that comes with TF2, instead of the Intel Briefcase?

B

Buster Charlie

Have you or anyone tried using the flag model that comes with TF2, instead of the Intel Briefcase?

no.

Personally, I wish they had MORE models that are not flags.

Capture the Prototype, Capture the data reel, capture the baby, ANYTHING besides CTF.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I agree. Would it be possible to make a custom map, and instead of the briefcase use another model? (one that you make yourself...like....a DOOMDEVICE :D )

Oct 25, 2007
no.

Personally, I wish they had MORE models that are not flags.

Capture the Prototype, Capture the data reel, capture the baby, ANYTHING besides CTF.

In TFC, you were able to change the model associated with the flag. In one of my test maps for TFC, the flag was one of the ninja babes for HL. :)

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
I've a quesiton for you, Buster Charlie: As you're probably aware (I hope!) the intel is dropped when entering a respawn room (touching the func_respawnroom). Seeing as the respawn and the capture point are one and the same in Badlands, what are you doing to address this?

B

Buster Charlie

I've a quesiton for you, Buster Charlie: As you're probably aware (I hope!) the intel is dropped when entering a respawn room (touching the func_respawnroom). Seeing as the respawn and the capture point are one and the same in Badlands, what are you doing to address this?

I have not messed with gameplay mechanics too much as I've been focusing on getting a working version, I can always push back the spawn points to the computer room if need be.