CP Artpass_Jetti

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3227/artpassjettispydoor1000.jpg

floating consoles

Also the brick texture doesn't really fit with the clean spytech ones.

Detail is decent for your first attempt. Some of your brushwork looks inconsistant but i wouldn't even blame you for half of it because Valves brushwork prior to anyone working on it was attrocious.

You've also done well to keep the lighting at a reasonable level.

Just try not to go mental in your detail areas. People don't look at them for any significant length of time. A couple interesting props that set a scene is all it takes.

Last edited:

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
artpassjettispydoor1001.jpg

I love the halfway made sign.

This looks AMAZINg btw

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
Man, I love having a snowy environment to work with. Snow is beautiful!

artpassjettialol0000.jpg

artpassjettialol0002.jpg

artpassjettialol0003.jpg

artpassjettialol0004.jpg

artpassjettialol0005.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
No need to have those tiny rocks in the out of bounds area, it looks weird in contrast to the massive rocks and huge texture scale of the ground. Due to how the out of bounds area goes largely unwatched during gameplay it's best just to place significant theme based props there, saving the smaller more detailed props for the gameplay area. The ground texture could probably do with being reduced; specifically: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7159/artpassjettialol0003.jpg It looks really stretched or simply lacks detail.

Jetti

May 2, 2010
This next post includes mostly work-in-progress lighting. You have been warned.

artpassjettialol0010.jpg

artpassjettialol0014.jpg

artpassjettialol0015.jpg

artpassjettialol0016.jpg

artpassjettialol0011.jpg

artpassjettialol0013.jpg

artpassjettialol0012.jpg

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Why is there a pipe going over that ramp instead of through it? Why are the ramps separated? What does this part of the map do, storywise? I really don't understand what is going on here.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I've really liked most of your map so far but Point A looks far too busy imo.

Just the I beams themselves are far too cluttered, why would a huge concrete building like that need to be propped up in the way?

I just think it all looks really off and would seriously suggest reworking the area

Nov 14, 2009
I think you OD'd on beams. Seriously, waaaaaaaay too many.

Make sure everything has a purpose, like that pipe that pops out of the ground and goes back in. It has none.

johndo

L1: Registered
Aug 9, 2010
I would say you should probably use a more simpler column where you have the ramps and only use 2 instead of 3. The crossbeam needs to be behind the crosswalk because it's blocking the view of it. The front crossbeam should go forward more near those 3 columns you have. You will have a feeling of less clutter. and the columns that hold them up won't impede on the other cylinder column you have near your ramp. Or just remove it all together and your front columns will stand out better. I hated this in dustbowl on the last map for the last cp. You don't want to chop down this room with the column and cross beams.

Great map btw. I love snow maps but it's hard to do properly. But your map definitely exceeds that.

Jetti

May 2, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I'll try to answer your questions.

What does this part of the map do, storywise? I really don't understand what is going on here.
This part of the map is the oil store, where to oil goes before and after refining.

Why is there a pipe going over that ramp instead of through it?
It connects one part of the undergrounf oil 'tank' to the other tank.

Why are the ramps separated?
I had originally had the ramps seperated just so that the pipes could go through, without impacting the point. I then expanded this so that you you could see the oil beneath the point in several places, rather than a blank concrete ramp or stairs; and it looked to me better than just being able to see through the grate which the point rests on top of.

I've really liked most of your map so far
Thanks!

Point A looks far too busy imo.
I had considered this, which is why I posted the screenshots. Close, non-mapping friends had had this opinion, so I decided to ask some real mappers.

Why would a huge concrete building like that need to be propped up in the way?
There are only 6 beams which connect from floor to roof in the main chamber. The others hold up the vent system and an overhang. The 6 which hold it up are because the roof has additional concrete buildings on top; concrete is damn heavy you know!

I just think it all looks really off and would seriously suggest reworking the area
This was to be my solution to the problem too, but... I hate cap A!

It looks far too difficult to even get to A. With the pipes, split ramp, columns and that metal cover.
The pipes are playerclipped, so that isn't a problem, the ramp is impossible to fall through, as it too is playerclipped, and the metal cover was just a replacement of the wooden "cap a" sign.

I think you OD'd on beams. Seriously, waaaaaaaay too many.
They all serve a purpose though! The structure looked incredibly flimsy when I only had the ones in the roof.

Make sure everything has a purpose, like that pipe that pops out of the ground and goes back in. It has none.
As previously mentioned, this pipe connects two different 'tanks'.

I would say you should probably use only use 2 instead of 3 columns where you have the ramps
I would remove the center one, so that it stays symetricalish.
(Sorry for mincing your sentence but I had a hard time understanding it.)

The crossbeam needs to be behind the crosswalk Catwalk? because it's blocking the view of it. The front crossbeam should go forward more near those 3 columns you have.
As I previously mentioned, those beams hold up the vent system. Don't question why I would have a vent system in an outdoor area! My logic is infallable!

Great map btw. I love snow maps but it's hard to do properly. But your map definitely exceeds that.
Thank you!

Okay, so, judging by these comments, I shall proceed with the following actions: Pull the vents back, including the crossbeams which support it, as well as pushing the catwalk forward. This will make the catwalk more visible. I will remove the center beam, and shall also remove the pipes which connect the two 'tanks'. Is this the correct course of action?

Jetti

May 2, 2010
Hey again guys, some new picture. Mostly focused on doing something interesting with that ramp and the arch. Enjoy!

artpassjettiwarehouses0.jpg

A security checkpoint?!

Yes! ...It's a security booth!

The Adventures of Saxton Hale! (Thanks to Tinker!)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Like the security checkpoint, but considering a car wouldn't be able to go over those boards and pipes it seems a bit odd? Likewise that pipe with the ramp is a bit weird looking, though that could be just me.

I really like the idea of a security checkpoint though -- that's one of the best uses of that tunnel I've seen yet.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Agreed, I love the idea of a checkpoint and it looks cool, but it seems weird that a car would pass over the rickety-looking wooden planks. I'd lift the barrier so it's vertical, too.

Jetti

May 2, 2010
I had also considered this when I added the pipe, But at that stage I knew very little on the use of hammer. Now I know how to use hammer, I can consider changing it to something brush-based, rather than a prop copied from elsewhere in the map :p

Jetti

May 2, 2010
artpassjettigrate20010.jpg

Heres the new ramp, I hope this better suits the purpose for you critics.

Anyway, heres some shots of that horrible stairwell by C (It's still pretty horrible)

artpassjettigrate20005.jpg

artpassjettigrate20006.jpg

artpassjettigrate20008.jpg

Oh, and this wall here is rather... bare... *shudder*. Does anyone have any ideas how to make it pretty? Or do you think it directs player attention?
artpassjettigrate20007.jpg