CP Artpass GoobaTheViking

Nov 14, 2009
Just be careful not to pipespam. Thats my territory. And no rockets. :p

In other news, I think your one of the best detailers on the planed right now.

Gooba

L2: Junior Member
Jul 24, 2010
Instead of glass you might also try some kind of high-tech metal floor grating. Might be tricky because it's easy to make grating look too industrial, but I've always found grating, rather than glass, a bit more believable as a combat surface -- even if the glass is ten inches thick and "bomb proof".

I know what you mean about the glass thing, but I've trying and trying to get a convincing metal floor and so far I've had no luck. :|

Hehe, Grim. I'll try not to use too many pipes but I think I'm gonna need some, and I don't have any rockets yet. :D

Do you guys know of any tf2 specific lighting tutorials? Is there a good system for lighting or is it mostly just trial and error? I've been studying the official maps but its still difficult to implement. I just think the detailing would look 100% better if I had good lighting to go with it.

Jan 20, 2010
Lighting is a... personal thing. It highly depends on what you are going for. You should download rav's lighting gallery, it helps a load, but all the lights are white so you need to change their color. Lighting should always point out the areas of interest the most, while you have just enough lighting in other areas to make the color of the enemy apparent. Honestly, in my personal opinion, you should take a look at 2Fort and Doublecross. The two of them have the best lighting in the game, in my personal opinion. (Which is funny, because they're probably my least favorite maps in the game. But I like their looks :p)

ctf_2fort0116.jpg

ctf_2fort0135.jpg

ctf_doublecross0159.jpg

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Np, acumen. Are you and Ethan still doing the modelling thing? If so, could I possibly have something like one of these guys made ?
botconcepts.jpg

He would just be a friendly helper bot thing. It would probably be best if he was the same style as the spytech computers, I dunno. You'd have to flesh out the ideas more, but thats what you wanted wasn't it? If I need to request it in your other thread I can do that as well.
]

I really like this theme man! I hope you don't mind but i wanted to try my hand at making one of those robots for ya!

sjNcK.jpg

Rigging it and UV unwrapping it now, but does this look ok?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i just came to realize i had already posted in your thread commenting on your "desert" stuff O_O
and then again on your space stuff
i was not aware that this was the same map o_O
mabye you should/could clear that up on the opening post or something. i was totally confused when you just posted the next round of desert shots :D

THAT is of much win:
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a449/Goobatheviking/artpass_valvebase880030.jpg

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Do you guys know of any tf2 specific lighting tutorials? Is there a good system for lighting or is it mostly just trial and error? I've been studying the official maps but its still difficult to implement. I just think the detailing would look 100% better if I had good lighting to go with it.

I haven't come across a lighting tutorial that covers everything. There are some out there that just cover the technical implementation of lights, but nothing that goes the extra mile and really explains how to light a map well. However, there are a few rules of usage that I've picked up from observation that may help:

Lights in TF2 should be used for:
1. Ensuring areas are well enough lit to see the silhouettes and team colors of all players.
2. Drawing the eye towards important points of the map.
3. Improving a map's visual style by adding detail and casting cool things like light beams and dramatic shadows.

Each light that you place should serve at least one of these purposes, more if possible. If you're placing the light to fulfill #1, ask yourself if you can also get it to fill the role of #2 and/or #3 as well.

Overall, experimentation is king and is a great learning tool. You're also great at doing paintovers, Gooba, so I would suggest doing some paintovers just to help visualize possible lighting setups.

Wish I had a link or something that contains all the answers, but I hope this at least helps.

Gooba

Jul 24, 2010
Sadly, I agree totally with you leminnes.Which doesn't help me at all. :( Lol. I've been studying 2fort heavily because the lighting in that map fit the tf2 style the best methinks. I haven't look at double cross as much, but I probably should, so I can figure out how to light very dark areas. :)

Thanks vergil. :D

It looks pretty sweet trey! But I'm not gonna have people fighting over making me a robot model am I?

Are you gonna still make one Acumen? Also, I changed the first post to better reflect what has gone on here. :D

Thanks Tom, those are really good questions to ask myself while lighting. I find that I'm usually concerned with just one of those ideas at a time while placing a light. Plus, I really have to get over making things so dark because it looks better. It hurts the gameplay and doesn't fit the bright and fun nature of tf2. :\ I guess I'll have to paintover like crazy :D

Thanks for your help guys.

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
It looks pretty sweet trey! But I'm not gonna have people fighting over making me a robot model am I?.

Haha thanks man. Oh and my bad, I wasn't aware Acumen was making one (I saw you ask, but i didn't see anything about it afterwards).

Love the map, keep up the good work!

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010

Finding good resouces on lighting is really hard, it mostly comes down to trial and error. Unfortunately, this also means compiling a lot at decently high settings for everything to look as it should.

The biggest problem in my experience is that if you start lighting an area and then change the textures to something lighter/darker you'll have to redo the entire light setup. Since you seem to be pretty happy with your own custom textures this shouldn't be much of an issue. What I would recommen is to add a couple of normal light entities that provide the base, ambient light that makes it impossible for classes to hide in dark shadows and then add spotlights as a kind of detail. Keeping track of your lightmap scale is also important, in dark areas or areas with high contrast you'll want to turn down the scale. For areas where you want a kind of ambient light, going higher is better.

Gooba

Jul 24, 2010
Sorry about the quote thing guys, I think I fixed it. :\

Finding good resouces on lighting is really hard, it mostly comes down to trial and error. Unfortunately, this also means compiling a lot at decently high settings for everything to look as it should.

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear. :p This is basically my first map, so I really haven't had much time for trial and error. I also find it to be annoying that I have to stop working on the map to compile and test every 2 minutes for lighting. :\ I guess I'll just keep messing around with it until I get something I like. :\

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry about the quote thing guys, I think I fixed it. :\

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear. :p This is basically my first map, so I really haven't had much time for trial and error. I also find it to be annoying that I have to stop working on the map to compile and test every 2 minutes for lighting. :\ I guess I'll just keep messing around with it until I get something I like. :\

Cordoning is your friend. Abuse it.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Contender status.

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
Last pic: put a trim between the ramp for the rails and the steps, looks sorta off at the moment. Also on the left hand side up the lightmap where the shadow from the overhang hits it. The overhead trolley idea is a cool one, but you need to make it more distinct. Consider cutting out the scrap metal sheets and getting the contents better lit/ making them more visible.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I think the new top of Cap A looks really good but i liked the contrast of the wood agianst the coregated iron in the old version:
laoijaaci.jpg

I'd put a bit more of that back into the point, it breaks up the red a bit.
Oh and the texture around the window on the right here:
artpass_valvebase920000.jpg

To me it looks weird using a wood texture which has dark holes in it when clearly the room behind that wall is lit.