CP Artpass GoobaTheViking

Gooba

L2: Junior Member
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks guys, I realized I didn't like this area at all... so I changed it up a lot. I think it works tons better now. Please ignore the red line in the upper right, and the completely bare white building.
artpass_valvebase1200001.jpg

artpass_valvebase1200002.jpg

Also, I was debated on whether or not i should show these... there is not much here, except bad lighting and more bad lighting.

artpass_valvebase1200004.jpg

artpass_valvebase1200006.jpg

Lemma know what you think!

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
I'm going to say to you what i said to gerbil as well with regard to indoor areas with dark wood: More light please.

The other issue is that that specific area needs to have more neutral and preferably brighter textures to help the transition from brown "wood-ville" to what looks like spytech.

everything else looks fine, just the lighting and texture choice needs some tweaking.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
As a player, I hate seeing ladders propped up if I can't climb them, and I hate maps with climbable ladders even more. I suggest you change that.

Nov 14, 2009
As a player, I hate seeing ladders propped up if I can't climb them, and I hate maps with climbable ladders even more. I suggest you change that.

Disagree. Ladders dont work in TF2, and I get that. For whatever reason, my mind has been trained to ignore them as methods of travel.

But they do make great detail pieces!

Gooba

Jul 24, 2010
I'm gonna have to go with Grim on this one, ladders in tf2 are only used as walkways or detail.
Sorry I don't have more to show, but I'm too busy mapping to compile all the time.
These screens are slightly old because I forgot I had taken them (I've been working like crazy on the map), but any critique is still very useful.
artpass_valvebase1330000.jpg

artpass_valvebase1330002.jpg

artpass_valvebase1330001.jpg

This is the pit under C
artpass_valvebase1330009.jpg

artpass_valvebase1330008.jpg

artpass_valvebase1330014.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Be sure to compile a couple days before the deadline. I always find when i work like crazy on a map and then come to compile at the last minute i'll get more than 1 error. Which is a lot more confusing to resolve than 1 at a time. It's also a lot harder to track down an error when you've added/changed so much. Not ot mention that sometimes you'll be forced to erase large portions of your map if something doesn't work, something that could have saved you time had you been aware of it sooner, before you spent X hours unknowingly working on a broken task.

The only excuse for not compiling frequently is working large open spaces that are difficult to seal as you go.

Gooba

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks 3Dnj and Chemical, means a lot.

Sorry I didn't it make it very clear, grazr, I'm actually working exactly how you described and I compile quite often, but usually the areas still have a glaring problem or two making them not enjoyable to look at. Therefore any crits or comments are skewed by the giant ugly object drawing everyones attention away from the other stuff. But, worry not! I should have tons of new stuff to show very very soon. :D

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I think the work you've done under the point is amazing but I have to ask, how are working in the reason it's a death pit? it looks perfectly safe down there to me.

Yes. Besides the map looking absolutely gorgeous, this is the one problem I have. It looks like you could fall into the "death pit" and lose some health from the drop, but it doesn't look like there's any lethality to it.

Jan 20, 2010
hey Gooba. You forgot to pack a decal:

artpass_gooba0000.jpg

artpass_gooba0001.jpg

Also, there are no supply cabinets and the doors to blue spawn open oddly.

Also, something odd going on here:

artpass_gooba0002.jpg

I think you meant to have that displacement there lower.

Last edited:

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
models/mymodels
materials/mymodels
materials/mytextures
materials/mytextures2

Please, please find some way to explain the logic behind this?

Gooba

Jul 24, 2010
Terribly sorry for all the mess, I was in such a hurry at the end that I obviously missed quite a few things. Same for the pakrat terribleness, I didn't have time then to make it better( I worked 27 hours straight to get it ready as it was). However, I will fix all said things and hopefully get it submitted. Thanks for the help guys.

Jan 20, 2010
Terribly sorry for all the mess, I was in such a hurry at the end that I obviously missed quite a few things. Same for the pakrat terribleness, I didn't have time then to make it better( I worked 27 hours straight to get it ready as it was). However, I will fix all said things and hopefully get it submitted. Thanks for the help guys.

FIXXIT because this entry is fucking gorgeous and I'd hate for you to lose because of trivialities like missing Med Cabinets. :p