[Article] Stairs and your map.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
So if you have a, say 1:2 ratio of the stairs, would that mean that the measurements of the box on the 2D grid plane from a side view would be 1:2? I'm just wondering so I know where to start and end my stairs.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
1:2 would be 1 up and 2 across. So, for example. 16 units high, and 32 units long (so yes, from the side). The stairs can be as wide as you need them. But in addition to this article it would be wise to use the provided SDK vmf's for reference to better estimate the sizes involved as people are (or should be) well acquianted with these sizes ingame.

edit:

These are 1:2 stairs: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/stair tut/stair1.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oooh, ok, so from the top stair to the bottom, I was talking about the whole of the stairs (side supports and all) being 1:2, sorry for my bad wording. That clears it up, thanks :)

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It applies to both the individual stairs and the entire thing. It's not a unit measure, it's a ratio. A rise over run ratio of 1:2 means each stair is twice as deep (run) as it is high (rise).

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, sorry if 1:2 confused you, it is supposed to be a ratio of rate of units climbed per unit traversed forwards. Not actual literal unit sizes.

The ratio would apply to a single step (as you have figured) but would also apply to the whole staircase as a result. Unless you have included a platform at the top/bottom/middle of your staircase.

edit: Ninja post by Booj!

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well i have a few things in mind... trying to compile a comprehensive skybox brush tutorial but i'm having trouble keeping it focused as it relates a lot to roof design and optimisation... which is a little too comprehensive for one article.

I do kinda hit a number of birds with one stone with it however as existing roof tutorials are brief and pretty shitty at that so i did want to re-cover that for people.

You'll see in a couple of days what i eventually reveal unto you in yet another epicly lengthy grazr post.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Well i have a few things in mind... trying to compile a comprehensive skybox brush tutorial but i'm having trouble keeping it focused, as it relates a lot to roof design and optimisation... which is a little too comprehensive for one article.

I do kinda hit a number of birds with one stone with it however as existing roof tutorials are brief and pretty shitty at that, stating only the absolutely obvious and ignoring the subtleties so i might just include everything i can regardless.

Do it. :p I'd read whatever articles you post :p

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
One of the things i missed when people were discussing the use of func_lod's for the stair trims was that, as a solid entity it doesn't cut the faces of geometry. I realise this is a significant thing to miss and include at such a late point (5+ years), it is something i mention in discussions as they come and go, but when edges meet, they cause T-junctions that cut any connected geometries faces up. This includes, unfortunately, func_details. Which is why a staircase's stairs might be func_detail, but the trims func_lod. As each step would cause a tessellation in the trim. The engine has a limit on the amount of tessellations present in any one map. So a lot of brush based stairs will raise this limit quickly. Which is where converting stairs into models comes most in handy for larger or more manual brush detail intensive levels.

I thought i'd added this tid bit in, but after reading it i realised hadn't.

Also it should be added that rather than simply player-clipping stairs, it is useful to use the Blockbullets tool texture so that the stairs don't cause strange explosive habits where a step takes the rocket/sticky and the player otherwise well within the explosive radius takes no damage as the explosive "hit box" fires away from the player. This just makes gameplay more fluid than anything, smoothing out "wtf, i fired 4 rockets at his feet and he took no damage" moments. Blockbullets will have to be converted to func_detail however, as it cuts vvis.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
A note on that that was recently discovered by @phi though, is that if you tie both of the func_lod (or func_brush) on either side of the staircase and have their solidity set to on, any teleporter placed inside that bounding box will blow up when used.

Here's more info on it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Dated jun 2015 @Fr0Z3nR did you not write up what we discussed with Valve about this exact issue on snowp?
Now I feel bad for phi, we knew about this nearly a year earlier D:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Dated jun 2015 @Fr0Z3nR did you not write up what we discussed with Valve about this exact issue on snowp?

Thought it was a known issue, and that snowplow wasn't too special in the case. That is, we weren't the people who discovered/published the issue.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah we had already discussed with you how you guys suck for not writing anything up, since it was an obscure problem a bunch of people had been having with no nailed-down solution yet. We had the issue on Stoneyridge as well that Phi had solved for us.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
This is why the staircase trims in Turbine are broken, by the way; they touch too many steps. The fix I used for Turbine2 was to just split the trims in half.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah we had already discussed with you how you guys suck for not writing anything up, since it was an obscure problem a bunch of people had been having with no nailed-down solution yet. We had the issue on Stoneyridge as well that Phi had solved for us.

*sorry rating*

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
A note on that that was recently discovered by @phi though, is that if you tie both of the func_lod (or func_brush) on either side of the staircase and have their solidity set to on, any teleporter placed inside that bounding box will blow up when used.

Here's more info on it.

Ideally people should be using nobuilds on stairs to prevent a variety of other buggy behaviours anyway. But i could see how that would be problematic if one is converting entire rooms worth of detail to func_lod. Even still, it isn't sensible to be doing that with func_lod anyway as its primary function is controlling LoD, the clue being in the name; and controlling them in small groups just makes more sense as you'd otherwise be creating scenarios where a room's detail just "pops" into and out of existence (or does it not work like that?). I suppose it doesn't matter at this point.