Bunker Junker

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2017
fixed a misplaced texture

added some gravel textures near the trains

added a few more props

also updated the thumbnail/images

about it.

sorry for taking a little break, only for it to be a small update, I promise I will try updating more.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
its looking really cool

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
ok, here we go:
Is there a soundscape? because I can hear anything.
On the blue side, you can get caught on this ramp thing
arena_jikko250000.jpg
I don't think this Is tf2 graffiti, you can replace it wih the multiple silly tf2 overlays and signs, or get a custom one (search and download, ask for one made, or make one yourself)
arena_jikko250001.jpg arena_jikko250002.jpg arena_jikko250003.jpg arena_jikko250004.jpg
And there are no spectator cameras, which can actually break the game (I'm not sure how, it just does.)
arena_jikko250005.jpg
Also, and I didn't get a good screenshot of this, but instead of just having the black wall in the train thing, maybe you can use the train tunnel prop, or something creative like that.

And that's all I have for tonight, hope this helps :p

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
ok, here we go:
Is there a soundscape? because I can hear anything.
On the blue side, you can get caught on this ramp thing
arena_jikko250000.jpg
I don't think this Is tf2 graffiti, you can replace it wih the multiple silly tf2 overlays and signs, or get a custom one (search and download, ask for one made, or make one yourself)
arena_jikko250001.jpg arena_jikko250002.jpg arena_jikko250003.jpg arena_jikko250004.jpg
And there are no spectator cameras, which can actually break the game (I'm not sure how, it just does.)
arena_jikko250005.jpg
Also, and I didn't get a good screenshot of this, but instead of just having the black wall in the train thing, maybe you can use the train tunnel prop, or something creative like that.

And that's all I have for tonight, hope this helps :p

You are correct there is no soundscape, as I do not know how to do that, same goes with the spectator cameras. (Although can you please explain in more detail on how it breaks the map, as every time I've ran the map it never broke for me.)

Hmm, guess I'm gonna have to adjust that player clip on the ramp.

Yeah that isn't TF2 graffiti, that's HL2 graffiti. I only added those because I was too lazy to make some, and I thought they were pretty cool despite breaking TF2's aesthetics.

I've also did try adding that train tunnel prop too, sadly it was too big, but I will add that to my list of things to do.

Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it.

red3pit

High on melancholy
aa
Dec 3, 2016
Umh, looking at the screenshots YOYOYO took, I can tell you that your map is fullbright.
It's either because you forgot to add light or your map has a leak. You better fix this issue.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
You are correct there is no soundscape, as I do not know how to do that, same goes with the spectator cameras. (Although can you please explain in more detail on how it breaks the map, as every time I've ran the map it never broke for me.)
You don't need soundscapes yet, most mappers save that for their detailing phase (but you can add them whenever you feel like it- we're not your boss). When you're ready to add soundscapes, this article explains what they are and how to add/use them.

About spectator points- According to the Valve Dev Wiki, a map can crash a dedicated server if all players on a single team die and there are no spectator points. I've never experienced this, but then again, I don't see team wipes that often, let alone one on a map with no spectator points. Either way, I'd recommend adding at least one spectator point to your map, which is defined using the info_observer_point entity.

Umh, looking at the screenshots YOYOYO took, I can tell you that your map is fullbright.
It's either because you forgot to add light or your map has a leak. You better fix this issue.
There is lighting, see the screenshots in the Overview section. YOYOYO must have turned on fullbright himself.

Last edited:

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
You don't need soundscapes yet, most mappers save that for their detailing phase (but you can add them whenever you feel like it- we're not your boss). When you're ready to add soundscapes, this article explains what they are and how to add/use them.

About spectator points- According to the Valve Dev Wiki, a map can crash a dedicated server if all players on a single team die and there are no spectator points. I've never experienced this, but then again, I don't see team wipes that often, let alone one on a map with no spectator points. Either way, I'd recommend adding at least one spectator point to your map, which is defined using the info_observer_point entity.

There is lighting, see the screenshots in the Overview section. YOYOYO must have turned on fullbright himself.
I did? my bad

And I was gonna send him those articles, but I guess you got to it first.
In the info observer, under bugs, it explains how it can crash your map

red3pit

High on melancholy
aa
Dec 3, 2016

Nope. I runed it and it's bullbright. Don't rely on screenshots from overview, many ppl don't change these for ages.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017

Hmm weird, when I run the map on hammer, the lighting shows up perfectly fine, it's probably a leak since I've added a light_environment.

Ahh thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Nope. I runed it and it's bullbright. Don't rely on screenshots from overview, many ppl don't change these for ages.
Upon downloading and running the most recent version in this download, I discovered that the map is actually fullbright.

However, fullbright doesn't mean there's a leak- in fact, VRAD can still run if there's a leak, it will just only do direct lighting, which looks weird, but will still appear in-game as not fullbright. My guess would be that you uploaded a version of the map where you either didn't run VRAD or VRAD experienced an error during the compile process that caused it to fail compiling lighting. Try recompiling and checking for lighting- if there's still no lighting, check your compile log for errors.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
Upon downloading and running the most recent version in this download, I discovered that the map is actually fullbright.

However, fullbright doesn't mean there's a leak- in fact, VRAD can still run if there's a leak, it will just only do direct lighting, which looks weird, but will still appear in-game as not fullbright. My guess would be that you uploaded a version of the map where you either didn't run VRAD or VRAD experienced an error during the compile process that caused it to fail compiling lighting. Try recompiling and checking for lighting- if there's still no lighting, check your compile log for errors.

I have no idea what a VRAD is, but I've found out that I accidentally didn't scale the the skybox right, resulting in the "void" getting in, so hopefully this is the solution to the problem.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I have no idea what a VRAD is, but I've found out that I accidentally didn't scale the the skybox right, resulting in the "void" getting in, so hopefully this is the solution to the problem.
VRAD is the part of the compile process that creates lighting data and puts it in your map.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
So it's in the "run map section"?
Yes, it's controlled by the "Run RAD" option in the Run Map dialog:
Run Map RAD.png
This should be set to "Normal" for any compile that you're planning to publish to make the lighting look as good as possible.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
Yes, it's controlled by the "Run RAD" option in the Run Map dialog:
Run Map RAD.png
This should be set to "Normal" for any compile that you're planning to publish to make the lighting look as good as possible.

Alright, it has to be a leak in the map, I've always ran all of those things on normal. Thanks for the help.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
- Fixed up some of the roads that I thought were "bad" due to old building techniques I did.

- Added two sewer cover overlays on the road to make it look "nicer".

- Resized some things that were sticking out of the skybox. (Man I was terrible back then.)

- Experimenting with a HL2 overlay near the middle section.

- Added some clipping to the arrow ramps near spawn because I forgot to add some

- Fixed some barely noticeable misplaced textures with proper ones.

And that's about it for now, sorry for the long wait, I just lost the VMF files for this map due to an incident. I would like to thank Necro for converting the BSP file I had to a VMF so I could work on this map again.

I do plan on trying to fix that skybox because a few of you have told me that the map is in full bright, then afterwards I plan on getting this map into play testing.

Till next time.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
- Experimenting with some textures seeing if they fit with the map. (Please give me your thoughts on them.

- Fixed some leaks in the map. (Still got more to fix)

- Replaced the skybox due to it not being HDR, whatever that means and is. (Hammer apparently doesn't like non-HDR skyboxes.)

- Added a little more HL2 overlays (because I'm too lazy and ignorant to make some overlays.) to detail the place a bit more

- Added some more props to make the place a bit more nicer.

- Fixed up some bad building tricks I've did back then

And that's about it. I still got that Skybox to work on, since even though I replaced the skybox with a HDR one, it's still acting out on me. (Probably the leaks, but it did talk about how it could be my VMT files could be broken, and something about how I shouldn't do last 3 something something, blah blah stuff I do not understand.)

But while we wait for that, please give me some feedback on the map, as I want to know how I can improve at the moment.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
Whoa look an update for a map people probably thought was abandoned! Well, I'm still working on it, despite sucking at it.

Basically, I:

- Updated the skybox
- Add a little more detailing
- Fixed some missing textures
- Tried messing around with some lighting
- I think I got rid of all the leaks in my map, so full bright shouldn't be an issue anymore. (Hopefully...)
- Add/remove some clipping

And about a few more things I forgot.

About it..

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
Welp never mind, full bright is still on for some reason... Why do I even try anymore..?