Post Dislikes

Jul 6, 2015
If so, we won't remove it, we'll just ban him from using it.
That solves the problem.
Edit:
Had to go to the other forum for the edit.
So heres the post:
thats not you quoting a conversation tho, you're just posting an image macro
Heres why I disagree'd:
It was a conversation, and I think its relavent enouph to post onto a room about posting absurd or otherwise non-normal conversations. Despite the fact that it was just a shitty picture, I wanted to post something on-topic and that was the closest thing I could get in 12 seconds.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
That solves the problem.

Yes; because using the rating system for things other than its intended purpose dictates trolling and is specifically noted as something that will result in a punishment.

Egan said:
It should NOT be used:
  • To troll or abuse other users - we'll be keeping a close eye on who dislikes what in the near future.

People can still dislike your posts all they want. If you abuse the rating, you just won't be able to give dislikes.

At this moment it doesn't look like you're abusing anything, though. We just want you to be aware.

Jul 6, 2015
Sorry, I edit'd the post, didnt mean to be a jerk, just forgot to put evidence and explaining before I hit post.
I wont do that anymore.
Edit:
Didnt want to make another post, despite this having nothing to do with the above. (directly)
I see your point as to why this feature was "needed", but I personally dont agree.
I wont be bluntly pointing out things to prove my point anymore, as that appears to piss off everyone and does nothing productive.

Thanks @LeSwordfish for looking at my first post and removing the public side, so I dont have to fear dislikes anymore. (fear that people will judge based on it)
I hope there is a feature, or will be, that will let you see those on a personal basis, or enable/disable them to be public.

Last edited:

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Despite the fact that it was just a shitty picture, I wanted to post something on-topic and that was the closest thing I could get in 12 seconds.
One last note - you don't have to scramble to find something relevant just for the sake of posting something relevant. Generally speaking, I would rather you think more carefully about your post quality than haphazardly throw something out there to compensate for your lack thereof.

Jul 26, 2015
If the rating is meant to mark posts as off topic or irrelevant, and not to disagree with opinions, then why is it called "respectfully disagree" and not "off topic"?

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
If the rating is meant to mark posts as off topic or irrelevant, and not to disagree with opinions, then why is it called "respectfully disagree" and not "off topic"?

That's not purely it's only use, and the concept of "off topic" isn't quite what it's meant for - it's moreso for posts that are needlessly low quality in the conversation; alongside being used for actually quickly showing that you disagree with what someone said. In essence, it could be used for either disagreeing with the content of the post, the post itself, or both. "Respectfully Disagree" works as a kind of catch-all for multiple circumstances.

Hotel Detective

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 10, 2014
Because respectfully disagree is more all-encompassing. It can be used for more than JUST that.

Jul 26, 2015
If someone disagrees with something, they should explain why. It doesn't add much to the conversation if you just say "I disagree" without making any points. It requires a refutation, unlike the Agree rating which simply implies that you agree with the arguments mentioned in the post.

Either way, I still think that a red X has a much more negative connotation than what you intend to convey.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Post that is longer than it should've been, but its turned into an argument as to why we need a rude/spam button in conjunction with the current one.

Why the dislike button doesn't hinder debate, and stops threads being derailed.

But if your going to be case specific, derailing a thread like that is near impossible as people will just ignore the existing conversation and post something on topic to the thread's purpose.

You’re arguing that people won’t be aware why their posts got disliked and you argue that threads won’t get derailed by people making posts to explain why.

Don’t argue for points that don’t exist, you know that threads will get derailed if you explain why you respectfully disagree with everything, I mean that’s why you made this post here not there right? You expected there to be more than just one post.

http://tf2maps.net/threads/post-dislikes.28573/page-7#post-379293

Oh, and furthermore you’ve already got 2 more respectful disagrees, would then they have to have responses explaining why. So, effectively if we removed the dislike button, and started responding to everything we would simply dislike, threads would get derailed.

So, keep in mind I’ve only proved that threads will get derailed by posting objecting opinions.

So, lets talk about the foundation of your argument.

You’re arguing all debates will be stopped with this button, and that people will be clueless why they got disliked, the foundation of this argument is the image macro.

But that foundation is bullshit, you were completely aware why it got disliked so much, you’re linking it to your argument by creating scenarios that aren’t going to happen, which is that meaningful posts with “disagree” ratings will receive no responses. Your post doesn’t apply because it wasn’t disliked for being meaningful, it was disliked for being low-effort/spam/irrelevant. It wasn't replacing a debate either or explanation either because none was needed.

What's happening is what I believe was the intent of the button, that users can see their posts are disliked by users without derailing threads, your argument is that this will substitute debate (which it hasn't) and that debate regarding "irrelevant" posts wouldn't derail threads (which it does).

Why is it important that users tell posters they dislike posts?

For me I’ve used it often to show that people shouldn’t needlessly post, and believe that showing my disapproval with the button can influence people to not do so in the future.
  • Do I want to put in more effort to tell someone their post is spam in response to a 12 second effort post? No
  • Do I want to keep seeing spam derail threads? Fuck no.
  • Does the button provide a way for me to tell users that their post is spam and to be more mindful in the future? Yes
That's why I'm liking the button so far.
But there's its other uses, the key one being that its a button that can be used to easily show disagreement with someone, in a situation where my opinion is already fairly obvious and wouldn't contribute anything more.
So, this is why I’m going to suggest that we need to have a rude/off-topic button.
There are clearly two goals of the button currently:
  • Voicing disapproval of content
  • Voicing disapproval of content's effort
And currently mashing them two goals into one button is not getting the message that users want to send to posters loud and clear.

Tl;dr
  • Responding to spam derails threads
  • The dislike button discourages spam incredibly well
  • The dislike button hasn't actually stopped meaningful discussion
  • The dislike button sends mixed messages regarding either the effort of content or content itself
  • We should create a button to let users tell users that their lack of effort and/or attitude is being dissaproved

Last edited:

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Meanwhile I'm more on Dave's side but because I don't especially like disagree ratings, I won't try to defend opinions.

You see the problem

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I feel like posting a meme out of irony.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Meanwhile I'm more on Dave's side but because I don't especially like disagree ratings, I won't try to defend opinions.

You see the problem

Yes, you care more about not having everyone disagree with you, than vocally disagreeing with someone else. This is a level design forum, with feedback as the focus. People need to be able to handle the idea of having others disagree with them when they give their opinion.