Post Dislikes

Jul 26, 2015
This is a level design forum, with feedback as the focus. People need to be able to handle the idea of having others disagree with them when they give their opinion.

People should then also be prepared to explain what is wrong with something. The disagree rating is about as helpful as "!gf dis map no gud".

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
People should then also be prepared to explain what is wrong with something. The disagree rating is about as helpful as "!gf dis map no gud".

Not the best analogy. The Disagree rating is also helpful at letting users and staff know when something is a contentious issue, not universally agreed upon, and is essential to have if we have an agree rating.

Lets take my own post for example, I have 4 agrees and 2 disagrees (as of now), this tells the staff that there is a vocal group that disagree with what i'm saying, and will likely make them think twice about adding a spam/rude button.

Now lets compare if there was no dislike button, then I just have 4 agrees. The staff have 0 way to know how the entirety of the community feels about this topic, or my post. There's less useful data there for them to use. If someone else responds, and that'll be used as a metric for disagreement in the community, that's going to be influenced by other factors such as if they posted when little users are online, or if their argument is completely different to other users who would've disagreed with the original post.

So, its more equivalent to if someone posting "!gf map no good", and someone else responding "!gf map is good" in response. We can't have a system to say something is good w/o reason, and not have a system to say something is bad w/o reason.

But, I do agree with the sentiment behind your argument, people should be prepared to explain if they use that rating. But I don't think its justification to remove it entirely, a post as simple as "Optimization > Aesthethic" doesn't need to have a huge response when the other person isn't going to the effort either. But if that post has only agree ratings, map-makers will tend to believe that this opinion is the norm, when if we had a dislike button the map-maker could see that its a heavily debated topic here.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
An agreement doesn't need an explanation because it implies you stand by the points which have already been made.
The point I was making is that if we only let users see when users agree, but not when they disagree, then it gives skewed perceptions of topics

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
Why don't we just remove all the buttons then?
Because then we'd have posts simply saying "I agree" when users want to show they agree with something, which would get annoying fast.
edit: and its important that users are able to express their agreement to topics in a community.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
  1. Having a disagree button, and explanations are not mutually exclusive
  2. Not all arguments or posts need an explanation as to why you disagree with them. E.g "No one likes 2Fort" if that post gets 4 agrees then the poster thinks "well no one likes 2 fort" if you get 4 agrees and 8 disagrees, the poster can easily know that "oh more people actually do like 2Fort."

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
  2. Not all arguments or posts need an explanation as to why you disagree with them. E.g "No one likes 2Fort" if that post gets 4 agrees then the poster thinks "well no one likes 2 fort" if you get 4 agrees and 8 disagrees, the poster can easily know that "oh more people actually do like 2Fort."

And I agree, but you have to recognize that some arguments do need explanations as to why you disagree with them. These are places where a Disagree rating simply won't cut it.

The question still stands if, in practice, the Disagree buttons stifles mutual understanding. Do people use it as a substitute for proper conversation, when proper conversation is what's needed to resolve a situation?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Only the simple statements, which are, if I can say so, boolean, and can only be answered and treated as true/false, do not require explanation on disagreement.
I said it about ten times already, but: if you agree, it means your idea is somewhat same. If you disagree, it tells nothing but that it's not, so you better explain. The button lets you not explain. That was what I was saying against adding disagree ratings, but other points people was making, like Fanta's about useful info for staff, are good points too, and there seems to have been more reasons to add it than not to.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Sounds like controversial Reddit comment