CP Yukon

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Bump! Released RC2 with major changes:
cp_yukon_rc20001.jpg

cp_yukon_rc20002.jpg

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Wow Mangy! You've outdone yourself! I just want to start off saying that the level of quality you've achieved with Yukon is absolutely exceptional! The detailing and theme development are far and above the best I've seen almost any map lately, not to mention your gameplay and balance still thrive!

As far as what can improve, I've got a few thoughts. Considering that you're now beginning to reach league play, which makes me so happy for you (can't wait to hear how teams react too ^^), there are just a few things extra that may need to be considered. Also there's some slight glitches to correct.

1) All of the metal in rc2a (CP signs, CPs, etc) glows white.

2) Slight leak by the 2nd point. Located on the lowest level facing towards the wall which has the entrance to the new route. If you're coming from middle by the lower route, it's on the right branch. (I had taken a screenie, but I'm lazy, soz!)

3) Sniper Angles. They've increased literally fivefold since the last version with the addition of your new route. I'm not going to claim that they'll be overpowered or even at all effective in comp, but from the looks of what shots I could cleanly make just on my walkthrough, it will likely be a complaint of high-level teams, especially those who face teams with rapetastic snipers. I don't know if it needs to/can be addressed, but I hope it's not a problem!

4) Clipping felt perfect! You did an amazing job creating the forms of the walls and I think you'll get no real complaints here. ^_^

<3 mate and great work! Good luck!

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Very nice, 3rd route, that is exactly what every good comp map needs. And congrats on your success. Maybe this will inspire people to make less pl maps and more 5 cp push maps.

Feb 14, 2008
It's a wonderful example of a natural theme, in preference to just angular buildings in maps.

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Finally got a chance to play the map. I only played a couple rounds but it was a lot of fun. Size is much better when compared to other 5 CP maps like Granary. And of course, it is very nice looking.

lustygoat

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2009
I really like this map. It does seem a little dark in spots, especially in contrast to the very bright skybox... looks a little unnatural:

cp_yukon_rc30000.jpg

cp_yukon_rc30001.jpg

Also there are a couple spots where a health pack and an ammo pack are really close together, making it hard to be polite and just take whichever one you need. You end up taking both when you didn't mean to.

Awesome map!

Aragon

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
Btw it says release candite version 2. But when you click on the download it says 3. Just a heads up for if you release another release candidate.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Mangy, last night I spent an hour or two watching scrims and matches on Yukon. Apparently it's Yukon week for ESEA and another league, so lots and lots of people are now rushing to learn to play it. Fail for them, but it made for some fun for me. My friend's team got absolutely demolished in their scrim because they were getting to mid a good 5 seconds slower and also were bitching in vent the whole time about your map.

WELL, after that I went to see some pros play it. A51 vs. nogrid. ESEA, good match. The thing that struck me there was that instead of the earlier scrim where both teams used a sniper almost the whole time or at least always at middle, these teams were both running spies and pyros regularly, especially around last. Frankly I think that's a sign of your maps balance, but I dunno if that says anything about teams who try to force sniper into this map. It's definitely NOT necessary.

As far as mid, I still think it's good. I saw a lot of teams use the bridge to take control, putting their combo up there. I also saw a lot of teams get destroyed defending 2nd because they were too busy guarding lower or trying to push out. A team that jump in and takes the roof basically wins 2nd. That's fine. The only map issue I seemed to noticed was between last and 4th. Several times teams would stalemate there for a while. One time it even went on for 15 minutes. It seemed to have to do with the fact that every path to last is a tunnel, and even if they're easy to push out of, the other team can always switch to you and spam your entrance. What might be in order, then is opening up either the far left tunnel or the lower right tunnel to allow jumps and prevent spamming to close it down entirely.

Just my 8 cents. <333

RocketSurgeon

L1: Registered
Apr 16, 2009
http://pwnage.tv/downloads.php?id=110

Pwnage.tv's broadcast of ESEA week 6 is up, featuring cp_yukon. Both teams ran Snipers, and Spies, Pyros and Heavies all made an appearance. Lots of action. They dont comment on the map itself too much, unfortunately, more focused on calling the gameplay.

Great work Mangy.

kankle_king

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 31, 2009
WELL, after that I went to see some pros play it. A51 vs. nogrid. ESEA, good match. The thing that struck me there was that instead of the earlier scrim where both teams used a sniper almost the whole time or at least always at middle, these teams were both running spies and pyros regularly, especially around last. Frankly I think that's a sign of your maps balance, but I dunno if that says anything about teams who try to force sniper into this map. It's definitely NOT necessary.

lol the 'pros' play? Pyros and spies? Hardly seem like 'pros'.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
From playing this, I can attest: This map is GREAT for playing pyro in a competitive style. Not only are there great flanking routes, but there are no insanely over-the-top flanks. The ammo is nice and balanced, there are cliffs perfect for airblasting people into lower areas, and various other things.

You really have done well, Mangy.