CP Yukon

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Barncow

L1: Registered
Aug 11, 2009
By that logic, wouldn't they have to remove Steel?

(well ok that's even worse logic but I still feel that's sort of silly)

I am going to comment on this with a caveat - I am not fully informed of the situation here.

But, I believe that before the author of the map went to work for Splash Damage, valve bought the rights to Steel. For all intents and purposes, Steel is Valve's, and they can keep it.

However, now that he went to work for Splash Damage, freight is technically the property of Splash Damage. Why? The company pays to train the author how to map, and an argument could be made that this knowledge went into the creation of freight, and Splash Damage can claim the rights to it.
(ain't copyright law a b****?)

Also, I've said this before, congrats on the map, and for what its worth, I've played it in 6v6, 12v12 and 16v16 and I've had a blast with it.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I kind of realized that, hence my second sentence there, but with that in mind I don't really know why I even bothered saying anything.

I think Freight could be added anyway--it'd be a bit more complicated to buy than before, for sure, but if Valve really wanted to I don't think it'd be a big problem.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
http://www.splashdamage.com/node/356

While it's not explicitly stated, it's implied that Fishbus was hired because of his work on Steel. After all, getting a map made official is a great thing to put on a resume.

I think skdr (the guy who made Fastlane and another map-made-official for a different Valve game) was picked up by a game company in Finland (Recoil Games) and is working on a game called Earth No More.