func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Discovering it wasn't possible to parent the skybox_camera was the most disappointing part of working on this project. Map was gonna get crazy.

Er.

Crazier.

Skybox doesn't move in convoy, it uses particle effects and animated textures along with parented props to appear that it's moving.

Bludeck

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2014
This is one of the most epic maps I have ever played, maybe even the best. Well played.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Skybox doesn't move in convoy, it uses particle effects and animated textures along with parented props to appear that it's moving.

It's still a huge shame the skybox_camera supports absolutely no inputs or outputs, or as Crash mentioned, parenting. There's probably some engine related reason for it but it would be much more fun to make insane maps if you could move the entity around the map.

Fortunately it's relatively easy to make whatever illusion you want with a func_brush in the skybox.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Doesn't the sky_camera only control where your 3d skybox is rendered though? Why would you want to move that?

For the part when the ground flips and you fly off into space. It could rotate, then push away.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Doesn't the sky_camera only control where your 3d skybox is rendered though? Why would you want to move that?

Because the entity functions as the point of reference for the 3d skybox. So if you move that entity, the skybox will appear to move from the perspective of the players.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
If I recall, the beginning of Portal 2 uses a moving sky_camera or something similar to achieve the swinging box effect.

That concept is what gave me the idea for this, but when I found out I couldn't parent it, I scaled the idea down some and moved a fake skybox around it.

I'm not completely happy with how the fake skybox ended up looking, I had issues with the lighting/ sky texture that I didn't have time to fix, but it did it's job and feels pretty disorienting.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I had the idea that the map lacks particle effects to make even more flashing effects or other visual spam (although at first its already such visual spam that you wont even notice that).

Other than that, its already a perfect joke map.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
The best.

EDIT: Sorry, mispelled. I meant to put BASIEST
wubwubwubwubwbuwubwubwuwbwubwbuwbuwubbuwubwubwubwubwub.

Seriously though, will unsubscribe if you you do not continue this till rc11. I personally think just the original premise is better than trainsawlaser

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Yo dawg were da trck list at yo #heavybeats

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I was really unorganized while editing the audio so I don't have all of it on hand (I took some of it from a few big dubstep compilation videos) but I do plan on sitting down and trying to get a full tracklist soon.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
They haven't had a problem with "I would if I could... BITCH" yet? :)

I'll keep it in mind but it might not quite fit the feel I need for the map. That one is more vocal based whereas I'm trying to key off the music itself.