WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I've begun work on the detail contest showcase, and am really liking what i've made so far, but i'm not sure whether or not to change the song, if you guys would want to put your 2 cents in and why that'd be appreciated.

I warn some of you to not watch it as it's pretty buggy and will spoil your apetite for the final version

The showcase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm15mjqnJg4
Song I've considered changing it to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VgLOs0LwQ

Alright, now then, I feel you did a great job of making every map look the way it was meant to be.

Except for 2 things:

1- In alex's entry you didn't show the ocean, which was kind of the point of his entry.
2- In my entry, could you tilt the camera a fair bit to the right to show the 4 windows? It was in fact kind of center piece of the map. Thanks!

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
JOOjsC5.jpg

sawmill's grass texture was too yellow and dead looking
and I didn't want to use that neon one every other alpine/comp-version-of-a-map-that-used-to-have-snow uses

(next step is tinting the trees, shrubs, and detail sprites to match)

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
I've begun work on the detail contest showcase, and am really liking what i've made so far, but i'm not sure whether or not to change the song, if you guys would want to put your 2 cents in and why that'd be appreciated.

I warn some of you to not watch it as it's pretty buggy and will spoil your apetite for the final version

The showcase:

Very nice! In addition to the bug list you have in the description, I've noticed a few bugs in the showcase of mine:
1. This is the wrong version of my map. The one you are using is the one I had first submitted to the contest. The current one is much colder, much less bright and has different textures. Hopefully you can simple copy+paste you camera movement animations to the new one.
2. In the first shot, a blue scout is visible to the far right of the screen, presumably your player in SFM.
3. The telephone lines in my map are not visible due to some rendering problem
4. In the forth shot, the sprites for the construction light being shown at different angles look rather flat and fake compared to ingame.

Thank you for taking the time to create such showcases for the community, especially with such dedication of time and effort on your part. You made every one of those maps in the showcase look amazing.

As for the song, the current one sounds very nice with it and I feel it matches the entries more than the other one does.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Music can do it sometimes. I have a video that is restricted in some small country that I don't remember off the top of my head due to the song.
Don't they always specify when it was blocked due to a copyright claim, though?

Mar 23, 2013
JOOjsC5.jpg

sawmill's grass texture was too yellow and dead looking
and I didn't want to use that neon one every other alpine/comp-version-of-a-map-that-used-to-have-snow uses

(next step is tinting the trees, shrubs, and detail sprites to match)

But the right one dosn't look too bad.

Apr 14, 2013

The showcase:

I must ask: did everyone that entered my map saw the huge skybox crane prop or is it just the SFM render? In my computer it shows up just fine, in it's 1/16 size.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
5A4669AB4F79FA84EC7804292C678BBCEA78D2A9

45FEF294437F2D047AED443F3316CE3D05F971B3

356E817080828B2C12C6127E8E1836F2DC0AD7D2

B6B4F69AEC4FCFDE79885F1D816793DFE92B8180

B710BB3A1E421060806ABE64D71B58AF32E68CCD

Vertical slice of the little collaboration (it's huge) that me and Waffe are gonna work on. This has already improved a little since I took these pictures, and I hope to change it some more. 72hr contest is gonna distract us though. Any tips on how to improve it visually? I'd like to note that because of the quirk of the gamemode, both BLU and RED will be attacking from each area so I'm keeping them team-neutral.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Well, I have always liked that plastic wall texture that you see in the first screenshot. But I hate when people just make it into a single flat wall, it becomes boring. Try something interesting like what gorge does:

V4I9BkD.jpg

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Well, I have always liked that plastic wall texture that you see in the first screenshot. But I hate when people just make it into a single flat wall, it becomes boring. Try something interesting like what gorge does:

wow that is gorgeous. Why don't more maps use that like that.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
AgdaNSW.jpg

i think I got this whole lighting thing figured out for the most part

(wip cp_uncovered right outside cpA)

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010

Probably because mappers get hung up on optimization and are reluctant to add relief, trying to keep triangle counts down.

If it's in the playable space, it also makes clipping easier.

AgdaNSW.jpg

i think I got this whole lighting thing figured out for the most part

(wip cp_uncovered right outside cpA)

That grass is a rather nasty shade of green, it looks like shag carpet more than grass.

The lighting is going in the right direction.. you got hotspots drawing the eye to where action is going to be. But you've also got a lot of dark shadows that I guarantee players will complain about in testing. An easy fix might be to turn the environment lighting up a couple notches. Otherwise you gotta put more lamps in.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Man, there are a lot of single stage payload maps being made these days. Even I'm thinking of making one. Two, actually.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013

On another note, what even are those "plastic" walls? Does anyone have any reference pictures? The reason my first pic looks like an MvM map is because it copies the basic theme straight out of Mannworks, and they use the red version of the plastic in just the same why as I am here. So what do they look like in real life?

Also, don't worry, this isn't a straight payload map.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Vertical slice of the little collaboration (it's huge) that me and Waffe are gonna work on. This has already improved a little since I took these pictures, and I hope to change it some more. 72hr contest is gonna distract us though. Any tips on how to improve it visually? I'd like to note that because of the quirk of the gamemode, both BLU and RED will be attacking from each area so I'm keeping them team-neutral.

What's the gamemode?