Update:
ripart.png

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
RE FOG:

it should get closer to the colour of the air as it gets further away. That is to say brighter. making each layer darker would look weird, really weird.

I do think maybe the cards look a little flat, but that's only because they're solid colours, the nice things about the trainyard skybox is that there are subtle gradients in the mountain silhouettes.
They look a little cartoony but I haven't seen them in motion so don't know how they really look.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
RE FOG:

it should get closer to the colour of the air as it gets further away. That is to say brighter. making each layer darker would look weird, really weird.
That gives still the option of both brigther and darker.

In portal its bright since the outer shell of the facility has major gaps in it. If that cave has it aswel then bright is a good thing, if it doesnt then darker is better to be expected. But since the roof in the playable area already has a gap, i wouldnt be surprised if other areas also have that. Brighter in that case makes more sense.

Where portal has it bright, pipeline has a dark fade.
I do think maybe the cards look a little flat, but that's only because they're solid colours, the nice things about the trainyard skybox is that there are subtle gradients in the mountain silhouettes.
They look a little cartoony but I haven't seen them in motion so don't know how they really look.
From the mvm testing i did on that map the skybox wasnt hurting it visualy at all. The flat colors made you not get distracted at all and gave a clear border.

Those skycards are a cheap yet very efficient (which in mvm is important) way to get some detail in the sky at a low cost. And they are unique within tf2 aswell which is a good thing to identify the map with.

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
Due to Aly's 24 hour extension of the deadline to the detail contest, I updated my entry as well.
KZLKEa0.jpg

Much more cinematic and texture-variated.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
An MVM map I had an inspiration for

RAf0i1N.png

The bombhole and spawn, you can see the deathpit in the back.

RAf0i1N,wsdYEE0,jo6NLHk,EeMBIj5

A chokepoint near the bombhole.

A chokepoint after the first spawn, you can see the A Spawn that the Robots can capture.

The Robot's first spawnpoint and the drop down area.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
An MVM map I had an inspiration for
Fix your imgur links to make all images show, now we only get the first. I gave the correct urls with my comments:

http://imgur.com/RAf0i1N
A deathpit this close to spawn can make it very easy to delay a map into a very long state. In none of the valve maps there is a deathpit this close that is easy to use. Rottenburg has it hidden quite far in the back, and coaltown has it a bit higher meaning once its in the pit its harder to get it out.

http://imgur.com/wsdYEE0
I cant see what this image is trying to show. it just shows a rough blocking area of a defense position, but it doesnt show its usability

http://imgur.com/jo6NLHk
Although the path seems clear its a bit dull to me. Its a straight rectangle path, i would try to put some objects in to force a little zigzag behaviour. Alternatively a simple slope as path itself is also capable of providing some change as in that case you get some changes in the vertical aiming.

http://imgur.com/EeMBIj5
This at least is a good screenshot to show how a defense area is ment. but again its still just a few rough blocks.

For an mvm map its quite vital to set the detail shapes quite early. These are going to provide key parts into the defense. A straight path in early playtests might not provide them building defenses, but as soon as there is 1 crate they suddenly might use it as a primary place. The strongest defense position is what people take, try to create and find these as early as possible and base the map around those.

Also, your map doesnt seem to show alot of spine's. These are blocks at more central places which are often used as a place to safely build a teleporter and at lower levels build the sentry nest. Without spines a map will become hard to defend as there are no good spots to start on. And the only option you would have is running.

And last, with mvm maps which are ment to get a shape ready. provide an overview with arrows of the bot paths. thats the best mvm indication you can have.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Due to Aly's 24 hour extension of the deadline to the detail contest, I updated my entry as well.
KZLKEa0.jpg

Much more cinematic and texture-variated.

You know, I'd just like to give a quick opinion on your entry:

When I looked at this, it didn't feel like, anything really. It just felt like a bunch of buildings in some snow. While I'm sure it's not actually what you were thinking: I felt like this was just something you made, only with the intention of making something look cool to win the contest. It felt very uninspired, although I can tell you put effort into it. I don't know, I guess it just doesn't feel tied together.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'm not sure I'd want the walls reflecting anything when I'm on the can. Or taking a shower. Even 60% is too revealing.

An industrial grade sink in the bathroom is a bit concerning as well.