WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
I think that's the best place for a single chair if you're going to have one. Thanks!

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sideslope, my WIP map, only a2
euOAm7p.jpg

9wzu0uL.jpg

4EVRZqv.jpg

VOQF1rb.jpg

uvkUwDC.jpg

m0scq8p.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
puxorb, I love the concept behind this map and a Manor-esque theme would probably suit Gorge really well, but I'm not really on board with mixing medieval and Manor like you're doing. Yes, there are old mansions and such that have a mix of stonework and more modern plaster and trim, but they have more modern masonry and only on the outside. Maybe look into some famous American mansions for inspiration; most are from the first half of the 20th century or slightly earlier, so it would fit very well.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I originally had blue phantom lights, but those were too dark. I might try to mix some orange and blue ones and see if that helps.
I would suggest looking at the phantom lights of pipeline. For open areas they are very good and give a good natural light effect.

Note that you dont have to adjust all lights to be halloween colored. In skullcove i mainly used normal lights and the only phantom lights youll find exist in the spawn (the red glow at the upgrade station and the blue cave effect under the spawn)

Also, at the final pit i would actualy make the deathpit in such a way that it more often would help the blue team rather than anoy them. So what harribo said is actualy a good thing to anoy engies but then again, if its too large a red pyro can easily airblast them off the point and into the pit. So i think it would be unrecommended to make it go all the way around.

I would place the deathpit where the stove is now and another deathpit under the wood at a same size. This would allow both teams to have some effect of airblasting and at the same time not totaly destroying the red defense options (and if that was your idea, just have some random ghost spawn to at least give the blue team the chance to wait for the ghost and then attack in while the defenses are weakened)

And at B i actualy would have a pit under the table. One which you cannot fall in though. But it could be a nice source of light to highlight the control point a little (by for example having some red glow coming under the table).

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Next up on Can Seba Ever Fucking Finish One Thing Before Starting Another

F71CsC2.jpg

25Xz08C.jpg

vfPKiTl.jpg

JWR22Sp.jpg

feat. modular scaffold things that make this thing

Mobile_Service_Tower_rolls_over_the_Delta_II_on_SLC-2W.jpg

it's 4 u bak bby

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
885856C9B18B4AA61A0187E1736D4D0D0213C78D

figured out how instances work, made this curvy ramp walkway thing
Neat.

But why did it need to be an instance, if you don't mind my asking?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Next up on Can Seba Ever Fucking Finish One Thing Before Starting Another

-snip-

feat. modular scaffold things that make this thing

-snip-

it's 4 u bak bby

Just a heads up: If you're going to be putting 60 of those around the outside of the tower it's going to be a lot worse for rendering than merging them all into one model (unless source is super good at batching, and I really can't be sure how good source's batching is)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
They're separate pieces for making your own launch tower, so every map that uses it doesn't look the same. I can include larger sets if necessary or if people complain about perf hits.

Easier to do. Make 1 section of it, put it into an instance, spawn the instance multiple times and just stack/rotate.

Rotated instances by their very nature won't align with non-rotated geometry though

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Rotated instances by their very nature won't align with non-rotated geometry though

Only on a floating point inaccuracy level though. So if it becomes a problem, just hide the tiny seam with a beam that slightly overlaps. And they will line up perfectly with each other, if they all have the same origin (or the same origin shifted on an irrelevant axis like Dain's)

Dain

L3: Member
Oct 21, 2009
Neat.

But why did it need to be an instance, if you don't mind my asking?

The reasons previously given, plus if I need to adjust the steepness of the slope, all I have to do is edit the instance VMF once, and then shift the pieces up or down in the main VMF. If they weren't instances I'd have to carefully vertex edit each and every one of them.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
For those who've been complaining about Heatwave's spawn, complain no more! (Or do some more, then let me yell at you for it.)

PTuUffk.jpg

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Pyro would like as the coolest made-up animal ever made up.