Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
rightyea.png

I'm doing something right.

Sheltr

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2011
Well yeah, I mean if all you're gonna do is press ctrl+a and flatten mapping, then that would be pretty nightmarish!

I model with C4D there is projection mapping and that tends to look even worse then this haha.

added: I know I need to do it myself using seams but I still don't fully understand them

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
My MO with unwrapping is to iterate down every single option Blender has and decide which one is the least shitty. Sometimes it's a plain unwrap, sometimes it's smart uv project, sometimes it's cylindrical projection.

Usually that gets me about 80% of the way there. That last 20% really sucks though.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
My MO with unwrapping is to iterate down every single option Blender has and decide which one is the least shitty. Sometimes it's a plain unwrap, sometimes it's smart uv project, sometimes it's cylindrical projection.

Usually that gets me about 80% of the way there. That last 20% really sucks though.

for me, unless the object is really simple, smart uv project never works. it always gives me results like above.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
eLWDOBd.png

That looks like it's aligned perpendicular to the UV plane; it'll be fun to texture.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
3ds max + textools

Iron + Relax, provided your mesh isn't fucking attrocious works for most stuff. Spline, cylindrical and planar for everything else. If you have something really complicated you may need to take the time to do a lot of manual labour to get it right, but that's pretty rare.

Sheltr

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2011
I just felt like putting up the image for the UV unwrapping maybe it might help, or maybe some might just want to see what I'm working on.
8vR2Y

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
a good test to see how well your uvmap actually is, is to use a chequered texture. It also helps to visualize 'pixel density' - how much texture space a part of the model will actually use and how a part compares to the rest of the model: i.e. the roof will be using a good chunk of the uvmap, but will it actually be seen often enough to justify using so much of the uvmap?

I also agree with the use of the relax tool, it is such an extremely useful tool.

yoghurt

L1: Registered
Aug 2, 2013
I've started on some LED eyes for pyro, i've made a lot of variants of the LED texture to choose from.
But i feel really lost when it comes to compiling the model, i've already exported the materials and smd file, but i will need help for the compiling so i can look at the model and test it out and stuff before i use the tf2 importer for the final version. ^^
Does anyone know any good tutorials for compiling source models?
tumblr_n53zfsmdhy1rjppmlo1_1280.jpg

-yoghurt

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
3ds is free for students, you can use a .edu email (or just select the student option when making an account I believe)

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Which is why all of you should listen to everything I say as if it were the truth (because it is, even if it isn't).