WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The city is called Teufort and I feel like it'd make more sense if all of the writing was one overlay

Sep 19, 2010
My attempt to detail a spawn room:

2014-04-30_00001.jpg

I'm not very good with lighting. :\ Just trying to detail areas that won't affect gameplay. Hoping to still get a few more tests in.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
2Fort has pretty similar ceiling beams. They get away with it by making it super cluttered and almost "above" the structural level so the player never notices anything wrong.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
Old:
76942CF7FFEEC0A1DF76DCB6930B3F4F63228F2B

New:
F2DEC028993EA3214B2247D4032C207FFF2387A6

First attempt, will re-render and see how dark I can get that ceiling. I agree, I really think the size of the mine is more emphasized with a darker ceiling

A tip for doing dimly lit areas is to use fog. The way l4d uses fog is something you could consider here.

Sep 19, 2010
2Fort has pretty similar ceiling beams. They get away with it by making it super cluttered and almost "above" the structural level so the player never notices anything wrong.
That's actually where I got the idea. I think their spawn room might be a bit more narrow, or maybe mine just looks weird because it's not as cluttered with pipes and vents above.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

They get waway with it becaue it appears to be thinner, much thinner.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
My attempt to detail a spawn room:

2014-04-30_00001.jpg

I'm not very good with lighting. :\ Just trying to detail areas that won't affect gameplay. Hoping to still get a few more tests in.

Add the pinup calendar or some other poster to that wall above the bench, I think it'd be fitting.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Spawnroomy things to add:
  • Clock
  • Fire bell
  • Lightswitches (and conduits or wires to each light)
  • Dumbbells
  • Towel racks
  • Lockers
  • Sandwich bags
  • Tape rolls and areosol cans
  • Exit sign
  • Fire extinguisher

Also that red sign on the floor loooks fuuuuuuuugggggly. Change it to being just the white tiles and use the red sign as an overlay (keep the brown trim around the very edge of the room)

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Some images from my entry to the detail part of the Tale of 2 Skillsets.
Still need to adjust some things (fog, some lighting, displacements, etc...), but overall pretty happy.

More images:

That is some amazing detailing, I can't even tell what map that is.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
Theo, all your direct linked images don't work, the dropbox album does though. Your detail density is too much. It not crazy off the charts prop hunt map level but it's too much. The amount of overlays specifically, it's taking away from the actual useful overlays too much I feel in the interior. Also using the same overlay aka that nuclear one more than once should hopefully not be too close to each other. The 3rd image makes that brick building look really boxy, though it may just be because it's the focus of the image and might be unnoticeable ingame.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The dark wooden beams are crazy off the charts levels of intense though, you might want to tone those down a ton. Especially on the metal buildings, doubly so for the blue metal, I'd remove them entirely from images 6-8

Your fog colour and intensity is also crazy wrong. The big...shapes... in the background seem to be 100% fogged out which is not what should be happening, since the mountains in the skybox are still very visible. The fog colour should be the same as the sky on the horizon.

The lightglows around your flourescent lights are a bit much in some of the shots.

The zigzaggy wires look ridiculous in screenshot 13.

Overall I think it's pretty good and I disagree with harribo about detail desnity, I just think those wooden beams are stupendusly thick and intimidating.

(also roof metal shouldn't be any thicker than 6 units. 4 preferably)

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
I agree with haribo about overlay density, at least judging by the available pictures. their usage is fine, just that having more than one warning, notice, advert sign, etc. per wall can distract attention. just something to consider.

edit: also the theming of the overlays and the companies/areas they represent are a bit awkward. blu industries, husky acres, grey gravel co, something nugget, mining, sea side, mine tours, coal, Mann co. etc.

So the setting of your map is that it is a mountainous facility of sorts that has grain silos and produces or manages grains, manages gravel, does mining, is a coal mine, has direct train access for shipping, and is also a Mann co facility? :p

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
@theo
I'll write some ideas I got for your map from the screenshots, since I really like the idea (making berry's map non-industrial), but there are some things I didn't really like (most of them already mentioned).
in pic 4, I'd remove the red grain-machinery besides the fuel building, I think it looks kind of strange
in pic 5,6,8 (and some others as well) the skybox rock and antenna looks really white. Change the fog settings
in pic 7 there's a small displacement seam in the left
The cave is done really nicely in my opinion (altough it has too many signs in it)
in pic 15 there's a door to the right of the "do not enter" sign that looks a bit too worn out in comparison to the walls IMO
in 2nd cp area the buildings look like they should have more windows (especially the red metal ones to the left. they look a bit like you didn't finish yet working on them
pic 27 looks really nice. I suppose it's out of the gameplay area?
In red's spawn (pic 25, 26), I think it'll look better if you removed the light sprites from the florucent lights.

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
COMPLETELY redid lighting. Everything that is not a light source visible as a prop is now a point spotlight instead of a general light. This means that because all the light is directed towards the ground, the ceiling is very much unlit. The fog has been intensified, with a distance of 4500 hammer units instead of 6000 now. Everything looks lit as it should, with nothing more than is needed. There may be minor changes needed, but I'm much happier with the lighting now.

ECF8811059ADB104C834A292893468E5D0286CCF

E21AA0F7C6EDD993CF3803DA9F1240ABEF270876

05E0E76AC97C1BE5DAD3EF9D89533441BF5D70DA

E7FA959F942EAA0E1B3AD44DBEFAF44558DFF7FE