WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arhurt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    The idea was that you can see the thing you're trying to blow up from blue spawn, in this case a big coastal gun emplacement (lazers of course, not real guns).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. [O]

[O] L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok so I've made changes to E and A in order to lessen the sniper and general higher ground fears of dominating E.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all E. Added a lot more cover while staying faithful to the theme of the map [dumping of weapon transport and waste at river bed]. Not only is there more cover for when E is finally exposed, but also the top of the cover themselves are jumping platforms when the water is still full.

[​IMG]

Above shows a jumping path for scouts. they can now get to the dam faster and prevent domination.

When the water lowers to -1 there is yet another path usable by everyone. see below

[​IMG]

When water is at zero you can now see the full cover available from spawn to dam. No more worries of snipers. There are underpasses and hidden areas of main path to hide teleporters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second, theres A. I've moved up the splash damage walls closer to the ledge on BLU side and made them higher so they are easier to hit by rocket and sticky. This will decrease sniper capabilities.

If they stand behind the splash walls, they no longer have an angle to shoot down to E ;)

[​IMG]

On red side of A I've removed cover by lowering all panels or removing gaps between panels so they sniper cant shoot from behind. I've also added spy / engie haunts on A and broken up the open space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    level design 101, don't designer areas with specific classes in mind, mostly certain areas develop as certain class hot-spots naturally. Designing purposefully for certain classes inherently make them OP, especially sniper ledges. Worst case scenario you have to specifically nerf a sniper sight line, other than that, dictating engi-nests with ammo drops is the only consideration you need (and in 5cp that's pretty irrelevent).

P.S. Your map is frickin huge. You should half its scale at least.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tyler

aa tyler

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry mate, but that water and that massive height difference will still suck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    making an obvious route to take just gives a more obvious route for snipers to aim at
    and all your cover down there is made of props. it will be terribad to optimise

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles, angles...

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  8. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    How do you even cope with that many angled walls and buildings? I'd get so lost making it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been working on Frostfell alpha 2 today. Redid starting location for cart, now it's more visible

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    bit of fiddling with stage 2 on sandblast. the cart takes a bit longer to get to the cap, and red has another spot to put a sentry. also removed the wood bridghe that allowed blu to attack to easily, and put in a secondary flanking route as a replacement

[​IMG]
    also jiggled the seperate stages into this arrangement!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Does that look like Trogdor the Burninator to anyone else?

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  12. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Now that's a lot of angles, even more than I attempt now, and I like my angles:O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    pl_clifftop_a2 now with at least 80% less eyebleed!

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  15. English Mobster

English Mobster L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Area above my first point:
    [​IMG]
    The doors on the ground unlock and become a dropdown once the cart has reached a certain point in the map.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  16. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    That ledge above the first rock in the foreground is super exposed, you should chuck a whole bunch more of those rocks onto it's edges for cover. I believe that'd be of benefit to both directions, looking down the hill and off around the corner on the right.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. English Mobster

English Mobster L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was productive this morning.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Idk, you just need to draw it in your head before to do that on the grid, it's pretty easy but it need more work than usually :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    How do you build them on angles? As far as I know, the only way is to either build them on-grid and skew them diagonally, or build them on-grid and rotate them. I suppose one could also use the vertex tool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Personnaly I'm using the cliping and the vertex tool. I just put a brush approximatively and clip it, to modify the brush after i'm using the vertex tools.

• Thanks Thanks x 1