WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
-snip-
This is a little testbed for the rooftop map. Night would be a good theme but I'm not sure its striking enough. I'd go for daytime with the bottom of the buildings reaching into a fog/cloud texture but I'm godawful at texture creation

I think its too dark atm, so defiently light it up... also, the single i-beam isn't really wid enough for anything to move around on.... I'd suggest multiple ones.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
casting resurrection on the dead YAMASHIRO
2011060500010.jpg

Jan 8, 2011
I need to stop visiting this thread. All the gorgeously detailed maps make me feel so inferior -.-

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Something about that tower feels odd; I think it's how thin it is compared to how tall it is. I would make it two-story, maybe?

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Seb, that's just how the orientals build things.

Mar 23, 2010

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think the pagoda in general looks great. You don't want too much detail; converting such an object to TF2 will obviously call for some compromise from its original appearence to abide both TF2's style, gameplay and performance.

@Languid: I like the idea of roof tops. It'd be hard but it's one instance where death pits would be cool.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
I think the pagoda in general looks great. You don't want too much detail; converting such an object to TF2 will obviously call for some compromise from its original appearence to abide both TF2's style, gameplay and performance.

Indeed, a few months ago when I did go full detail with Japanese architecture, my map hit T-juncts limit with just 4 buildings. Not to mention the compile time.
Had to start over

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Presto, stop making maps with giant cliffs at the edges :c

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Indeed, a few months ago when I did go full detail with Japanese architecture, my map hit T-juncts limit with just 4 buildings. Not to mention the compile time.
Had to start over

To avoid t-junctions use func_lod, func_brush or func_illusionary instead of func_detail.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
The feedback i got from the last gameday made me realize that my map didnt fit very well into the tf2 world. So im doing some major redesigns. This is the new red spawn =D

o071bt.png

Looking better allready :thumbup:

Jan 8, 2011
Madness... Chaos... BOATS!
aE934.png

This is the BLU spawnroom for my summer project "pl_Offshore"
They spawn on the boat, take the cart and head up to RED's oilrig, which they then proceed to blow up. With the lemons.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
after doing some stuff that was more radically different, here's something that isn't radically different but just a little weird feeling

0r213.jpg

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Madness... Chaos... BOATS!
aE934.png

This is the BLU spawnroom for my summer project "pl_Offshore"
They spawn on the boat, take the cart and head up to RED's oilrig, which they then proceed to blow up. With the lemons.

I had EXCACTLY the same idea once :D
Since i didnt use that idea, ill share one of the sub-ideas with you:
Blue have the bomb ONBOARD their boat and push it down a ramp onto the ground, and then further :D

EDIT: Now that i look at the picture, it looks like that was your plan all along. Was it? :3

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
after doing some stuff that was more radically different, here's something that isn't radically different but just a little weird feeling

0r213.jpg

Better, but not that much better because there really isn't a choice for BLU here. In nearly every circumstance you'd choose the upper path right?