[WIP] cp_venice

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

L3: Member
Nov 2, 2008
open your console and type
sv_cheats 1
+showbudget
mat_wireframe 1

this will show you a window with bars showing the things the engine has to render
mat_wireframe will show you the wireframe of the things you can see from the place you stand

this helped me a lot pumping up the framerate by sealing things correctly off

Screens:

cp_venice_a4a0003.jpg

cp_venice_a4a0004.jpg

cp_venice_a4a0005.jpg

How exactly would I improve this? I mean I tried to not have areas where the player can't see too many buildings or is there another method/trick?

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I dl'ed the map and took a gander... pretty much the whole level is being drawn, at pretty much everywhere. Something needs to be done though.

I'm assuming it's because the level isn't sectioned off with skybox. I would imagine you could pull off something like this:

blue=skybox
pink=some kind of new geometery, like maybe an arch with an area portal? or, maybe just a plain wall, that would help funnel people too, in some areas.
cp_venice_a40002-1.jpg

Last edited:

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
I dl'ed the map and took a gander... pretty much the whole level is being drawn, at pretty much everywhere. Something needs to be done though.

I'm assuming it's because the level isn't sectioned off with skybox. I would imagine you could pull off something like this:

blue=skybox
pink=some kind of new geometery, like maybe an arch with an area portal? or, maybe just a plain wall, that would help funnel people too, in some areas.

Good ideas. Here's my approach to this:

legend:

-green: everything I keep almost as it is right now.
- red: new buildings
- orange: new area with only 3 small entrances. 2 beeing the bridges and the last one is a water access. This area will look kinda like the first 2 CP's just a bit bigger and higher.
- turquoise: new buildings/new structure of buildings. CP3 will be accessible via the middle island through the yellow building.

as for your pink lines. I can pretty much do all of those except for those where I wrote Hard, because those would look kinda odd. But I think I'll the northern exits of CP1&5. I kinda like the many ways you could go, but I guess too many ways just get people confused.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
I think it's important that you make it a little more linear. I like open maps, but his one I think needs a clearer design.

Aug 19, 2008
another little thing about the waterexits, implement some kind of indicator underwater where you can see that there is an exit, its pretty hard to see the existing ones from beneath. mustn´t be a sign, maybe just stairs leading further into the water giving the player a hint that there is a way out

if you work with areaportals, pay attention to them not touching the water.
i´ve done that and the water bugged out when was being displayed

l33rons tips look just right, try them out before any major reconstruction of the areas with smaller building which i personally liked more than the blockish architecture
hintbrushes will do the rest and the framerates will rise significantly

ps: func_detail brushes dont block visibilty, so if you work on sealing an area from visibility, make sure you hide that visgroup

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Good ideas. Here's my approach to this:

legend:

-green: everything I keep almost as it is right now.
- red: new buildings
- orange: new area with only 3 small entrances. 2 beeing the bridges and the last one is a water access. This area will look kinda like the first 2 CP's just a bit bigger and higher.
- turquoise: new buildings/new structure of buildings. CP3 will be accessible via the middle island through the yellow building.

as for your pink lines. I can pretty much do all of those except for those where I wrote Hard, because those would look kinda odd. But I think I'll the northern exits of CP1&5. I kinda like the many ways you could go, but I guess too many ways just get people confused.

huge step in the right direction

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
First step in the right direction

tested skyboxes seperation and areaportals. Both is a good tip. Took the latter out again for the moment though, because of the current changing geometry.

So, I have completed redesigned the building behind the castle and actually made it part of the castle now. You can enter the building and end up either on the lower or upper level of the front of the castle. Just take a lot a the screens.

view from above:

window in the roof, to bring some light on the stairs (not final, layout looks a bit strange, but i like the idea)

left: stairs down to CP3, right: some inner garden thing with a small fountain

left: same as prev. scr. middle: same as right pre. scr. right: stairs down to Respawn island.

look on the stairs...needs more light i know

2 entries to the stairs on both sides

toutfou

Sep 8, 2008
Perhaps an obvious point, but just in case: make sure you're not compiling using fast vis when you're entering in game to check out what can be drawn from a particular point. You need full vis in order for the proper calculations to take place. I made this mistake a couple of weeks ago and it had me complexed for a few hours!

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Perhaps an obvious point, but just in case: make sure you're not compiling using fast vis when you're entering in game to check out what can be drawn from a particular point. You need full vis in order for the proper calculations to take place. I made this mistake a couple of weeks ago and it had me complexed for a few hours!

Nice tip, thanks!

I'm currently working on the second blue CP. I think to the gameday on 6th Dec. I'll have enough changes done, so I can release the a5.

Here's a screenshot of some detailing I made (just for fun):

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Maybe you want to do it yourself or someone else is alreay doing this, but I if you want I'll make you a few gondola models. (im only offering you this because i like the map :p )

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Maybe you want to do it yourself or someone else is alreay doing this, but I if you want I'll make you a few gondola models. (im only offering you this because i like the map )

That would be cool. I wanted to do it myself after the first beta is out, but a) I never mad a model and b) it could take a while. For now I'm using these brush gondolas as an orientation.

Update on CP2:

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
Yeah, those tables and chairs could also be turned into models :p

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008

Just an observation, I haven't gone back in the thread to see if the chair/table area has been mentioned already, but I worry that they may be in the way if that is an accessible area. Considering they are right along the edge, where players will likely be shooting down from, I can see players getting snagged on them, and standing on top of them just seems a bit unrealistic, even for TF2. Perhaps consider moving them back (I still think you should keep them for effect!), or fencing them off after moving, as part of a patio of a restaurant.

The maps looking great, keep up the hard work!

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Just an observation, I haven't gone back in the thread to see if the chair/table area has been mentioned already, but I worry that they may be in the way if that is an accessible area. Considering they are right along the edge, where players will likely be shooting down from, I can see players getting snagged on them, and standing on top of them just seems a bit unrealistic, even for TF2. Perhaps consider moving them back (I still think you should keep them for effect!), or fencing them off after moving, as part of a patio of a restaurant.

The maps looking great, keep up the hard work!

a) Hasn't been mentioned.
b) I'll test how much they're in the way and move them a little if they are.
c) thanks

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
gondola model

Hey guys,

anyone of the modelling guys interrested in making a gondola model for me, thats looks kinda likes this:

p77190-Las_Vegas-Gondola_Ride_in_The_Venetian.jpg

and has the dimensions of the brush gondola already in my map (which is 80w 336l 152h). Thoose can be slightly altered if you like.

I have great ideas for a5, so be sure to be on gameday on sunday!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I'm sorry to say it but you have to change the water level. Since yesterday they're on this situation:

ctg_int_venecia_inundada_por_segundo_dia_consecu1.jpg

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
:-D

Well, but the time the map's finished they'll probably have that fixed ;-)

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
I already started on the gondola model when I offered to do it :p

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
I've got this global shape, what do you think?

Its ~8000 Polygons (not an in-game model just for the bumpmaps and lightning ect.)

What colors do you want? Just black, or dark red and dark blue?

Last edited:

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
I've got this global shape, what do you think?

Its ~8000 Polygons (not an in-game model just for the bumpmaps and lightning ect.)

What colors do you want? Just black, or dark red and dark blue?

Well, it should fit into the TF2 color scheme, so I think it would be good if you could use a somewhat darker brown wood texture. I'm actually placing CP4 inside the building where the gondolas get build :)

shape looks good so far! Remember to add something where one can "tie" the gondolas with a rope to the bank. I hope you understood what i mean ^^