[WIP] cp_venice

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

L3: Member
Nov 2, 2008
Just leave in the environment, and disable vis & rad (or put them on fast, if you really want to test your lighting).

done.

money shots:

- CP4 (visible on the right bottom corner will be changed a bit. It doesn't give much cover yet and the building look a bit weird. Looking at the screen I already did get new ideas :)

Also I started working on Red Spwan 3, just because I wanted to do some detailing for a change. It'll be 2 levels high with one exit on both levels. There will be a third level which is not accessible (just for show).

Shots:

This is starting to look awesome. I'm impressed that this is your first TF2 map!

- Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I need to keep going when I come into a phase were I think everything just looks stupid. Though those usually go away on their own very fast.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2008
i wonder how you will implement skyboxes and handle the optimization, because seeing the overview, there are certainly some major fps-chokepoints, mainly when you stand at a corner and look towards the center of the map, or along the canals.
looks great so far, i like the new environment to port into the game

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
i wonder how you will implement skyboxes and handle the optimization, because seeing the overview, there are certainly some major fps-chokepoints, mainly when you stand at a corner and look towards the center of the map, or along the canals.
looks great so far, i like the new environment to port into the game

I'm going to minimize the distance one can view as good as I can, but this has to be issued in alpha testing, because I have a rather fast machine, so I can't really tell where its running slow.

I added the 2nd and 3rd level to the Red Spawm room.

- tomorrow I'll add the last details (so far) to them.

thursday: I'll finish the island on which the spwan room is

friday: I'll get a dev texture version of CP2 &5 done

saturday: I'll do some bug testing, add more helth and ammo where needed, do minor changes, add spawns, no entry etc.

sunday: I'll should be able to release the first alpha to the public. *fingers-crossed*

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I really like the environment, and all around map. If you need any overlays done, just PM me.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Showbudget

Use that to find troublespots that spike the graph. It should let you see places that need help even if you don't see a noticable FPS drop.

Great debug tool. Thanks a lot.

Did a quick check and "Swap Buffers" were constantly off the chart. World Geom. was between 3ms and 10ms. Everything else was really low.

I really like the environment, and all around map. If you need any overlays done, just PM me.

Thanks and I promise I will.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Today's work:

- The spwan still needs a lot of work, but its at a state, where it doesn't look boring or stupid.

2nd level of Red Spwan 3:

light_bole doesn't fit but its kinda late :)

Does anybody have a shower head model?

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
@Notoorjus:

100 points! And why not? After all the hard work that our favorite characters have to do? :)

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
A sauna doesnt sound very italian to me :p

but you should make a red glowing texture of the standard gravel texture. (or ask me or someone else here to make one :p)

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
why not a pasta restaurant?

great idea. I need to fill a lot of buildings anyway. Sure would be nice if they weren't all just apartments.

but you should make a red glowing texture of the standard gravel texture. (or ask me or someone else here to make one )

In due time my friend!

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Hey man this project is looking phenomenal! I can't wait to get my hands on it, hehehe. :D New environments like this are just SOOO worth the wait, and I especially love how you're documenting this all. Awesome work!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
A sauna doesnt sound very italian to me :p

but you should make a red glowing texture of the standard gravel texture. (or ask me or someone else here to make one :p)

I can do this. If one of y'all can send me the base gold texture (yellow gravel, basically, open it in vtfedit or something. base gold works best because it's easier to tell where what ends.) as .png, I'll paint the gold red. Then, for the glowing effect, you could put an $envmap in the .vmt and place a subtle red light in the room to reflect upon the coals.

If you want this done, email the base texture for the gold tonight, as this will be my last night on my mac, and my last night with photoshop until next week (going to school then straight to my pc's location tomorrow, will be back on my mac on sunday or monday).

Last edited:

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Hi,

First some replies:

Or Pizza?

O solo mio music ofcourse!!!
That should do the trick

Didn't read that the last time. Works too!

Hey man this project is looking phenomenal! I can't wait to get my hands on it, hehehe. New environments like this are just SOOO worth the wait, and I especially love how you're documenting this all. Awesome work!

Thanks!

I can do this. If one of y'all can send me the base gold texture (yellow gravel, basically, open it in vtfedit or something. base gold works best because it's easier to tell where what ends.) as .png, I'll paint the gold red. Then, for the glowing effect, you could put an in the .vmt and place a subtle red light in the room to reflect upon the coals.

If you want this done, email the base texture for the gold tonight, as this will be my last night on my mac, and my last night with photoshop until next week (going to school then straight to my pc's location tomorrow, will be back on my mac on sunday or monday).

Send it to:

1. Thanks a lot!

2. Don't need it yet, but will come back to it.

3. Please remove your email address and never post it like that in a forum if you don't want to get spam! Contacts always via PM ;-)

Now the updates:

I'm a little bit behind on my shedule, but I think I can make it.

- The layout of CP4 is (for now) finished. I'm sure it will change after gameplay testing though, which is why it has nearly no details at all. I mirror that layout to CP2 yet. I started that, but it isn't finished yet.

- The island containing the middle spwan points is in a playable state too, now.

Time for screenshots then:

looking down at CP4

another view on CP4. The red block in the back which is above the water doesn't belong there. Too lazy to compile and shot it again :)

View on the place between the 2 spwan rooms. neutral buildings is going to be a bank. The fountain has access to a water tunnel leading to CP2&4.

and that's it for today!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Void, that texture reminds me of the candyland levels from Worms Armageddon. :p