[WIP] cp_venice

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
What do you think about this? I think it's fits the tf2 style this way, but the wood material needs some work. It currently uses only default tf materials.

Any suggestions for the details/materials? (I'm thing of a little reflective black texture like most reference pics have)

This the red version of the gondola (blu version has a blue seat( a recolored version))

gondola0003iw4.jpg

The bottom needs to be a bit higher because it clips through the water.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

L3: Member
Nov 2, 2008
What do you think about this? I think it's fits the tf2 style this way, but the wood material needs some work. It currently uses only default tf materials.

Any suggestions for the details/materials? (I'm thing of a little reflective black texture like most reference pics have)

This the red version of the gondola (blu version has a blue seat( a recolored version))

gondola0003iw4.jpg

The bottom needs to be a bit higher because it clips through the water.

Looks very good, but the things on the front and the end raise a bit too high, don't they?

From what I'm seeing it looks like this one has one passenger seat and a space in from of the seat for the "driver". I hate to say this but it's usually like this:
LB-Gondola.jpg

(the "driver" is behind the people so they can see everything and not his back) ;-)

Textures look good ;-)

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
I made those that high because that made it look more tfishy, (and it's the size you told me :p)

But if you want to go to a more realistic style thats ok :)

Are you sure you like the wood texture? (it does lower the file size a lot :p)

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
You should make the inside and outside different wood tones (can still be stock TF2 textures), that would make it easier to perceive ;)

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
A. You have hacked my computer
B. You can read my mind

both are scary O_O

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
I made those that high because that made it look more tfishy, (and it's the size you told me :p)

But if you want to go to a more realistic style thats ok :)

Are you sure you like the wood texture? (it does lower the file size a lot :p)

I don't think itwould look less tfishy if you make them a bit smaller :)

Texture is fine. Adding a different one for the interior is even better ;-)

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
I have done some more detailing + making the amount of polys to 1/4th of the original :) Now I need to apply some better textures to it, but then it's finished (with you approval) :)

Expect some screenies soon :)

Screenies:
gondola2po1.jpg

gondola3co6.jpg

gondola1lr8.jpg

I wasn´t happy with the textures yet :/

This is the time to be a bitch :)

Last edited:

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
The new model looks a lot better, great work man!

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
yeah, will give the map a great touch of detail
sebbo, can you make the gondolas move slightly on the water? rise and float on the water?

I tried using the gondola as a func_conveyor with a trigger_proximity above and under it toggeling the direction, but I found no setting for the initial state of the func_conveyor meaning it just doesn't move.

I wonder if that is even the right approach. Have to do a little more digging to find out :)

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Damn that's so much better. Don't make a half-assed texture though!

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
If you want the gondola to move, I'd recommend doing it as model animation (i.e. prop_dynamic) rather than using features from the Source engine, in order to improve performance.

Zeewier

Sep 20, 2008
Hmmz, there goes my surprise :( , I already gave it floating animation :)

Good that you all like it :)

I'm currently doing some experiments on the materials, I was thinking about some varnished wood (by making it a little reflective.

I hope to finish it tomorrow ;)

Last edited:

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
well, func_conveyor doesn't do anything because its like a conveyor, when you step on it it moves you in a certain direction :p

Ceiling Man

Jan 27, 2009
One question though, I'm new to TF2 Mapping so I was wondering what's up with all that Orange and Black? I've seen it before...

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
It are dev textures, it are just placeholder textures.
Most people first concentrate on the flow and gameplay of the map, and dont want to bother texturing yet. So they first make the map with dev textures, they release, play it, play it and play it, till they know the gameplay is perfect, than they start texturing the map.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Hmmz, there goes my surprise :( , I already gave it floating animation :)

Good that you all like it :)

I'm currently doing some experiments on the materials, I was thinking about some varnished wood (by making it a little reflective.

I hope to finish it tomorrow ;)

Just don't make it float too much, because the water inside the city doesn't have that much waves, but I guess you know what you're doing :)

well, func_conveyor doesn't do anything because its like a conveyor, when you step on it it moves you in a certain direction

Well then what's the proper way to move objects in the game?

UPDATE: Just reserved a spot for gameday ;-)

Last edited: