[WIP] cp_venice

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
I understand you :p (will check your map and screenies and look for some reference pictures)

This color was just a quick selection, i'll give it a tf2 style skin ofcourse ;)

EDIT:
I've dicided that i'm not happy with the shape, so i'll tweak it a litte ^^

Last edited:

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

L3: Member
Nov 2, 2008
Alpha 5 Released

I understand you :p (will check your map and screenies and look for some reference pictures)

This color was just a quick selection, i'll give it a tf2 style skin ofcourse ;)

EDIT:
I've dicided that i'm not happy with the shape, so i'll tweak it a litte ^^

Great, you seem to know what you're doing.

So, I finished most of my to-do-list for gameday and am hereby releasing a5.

Download here

new screenshots:

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Stupid question: Are you going to make both side symmetrical? If not, how are you balancing this? (As in, in theory)

Looking great as always!

-FoX

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Well, the map is mostly symmetrical. Only CP 2 & 4 show major differences. As long as I make the same amount of entrances to those and have the same amount of sentry/spots and health and ammo that shoudn't be a big problem.

But I think my next map will be a non-symmetrical map, because that is easier to do I think.

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
Well, the map is mostly symmetrical. Only CP 2 & 4 show major differences. As long as I make the same amount of entrances to those and have the same amount of sentry/spots and health and ammo that shoudn't be a big problem.

But I think my next map will be a non-symmetrical map, because that is easier to do I think.

Easier to make, sure, but harder to balance most definitely. :D

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Needs some LoS blocking around the middle point, snipers being able to see clear across the map there isn't too great. Could also use some better signage, I know it'd probably clash with the final theme, but using the hydro signs that have the blinking arrows and dynamically changing their color/angle as points are captured could help with the maze-ness of the map.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Was fun too play.

I think the few things it needs are:

Mid point, the ramps going up to mid from water are too skinny and the corners at top are hard to make without falling off, especially if you're fighting someone on point.
It's also a really long stretch along that entire distance, I think you should find a way to make the water turn away to a 'skybox'. Bring some of the buldings out further into the water, have the water go under them in tunnels, something to make it less blocky and square than it is now.

the 2nd points seemed in a weird spot first couple rounds. I'm sure some signage would help. Wasn't bad once you learn the map though.
But they are way too big and open.

Pretty cool overall.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Needs some LoS blocking around the middle point, snipers being able to see clear across the map there isn't too great. Could also use some better signage, I know it'd probably clash with the final theme, but using the hydro signs that have the blinking arrows and dynamically changing their color/angle as points are captured could help with the maze-ness of the map.

- cover is planned and coming
- I don't know about those. I don't they'll fit into the map theme, but I'm definatly making my own dynamic sign now :)

Mid point, the ramps going up to mid from water are too skinny and the corners at top are hard to make without falling off, especially if you're fighting someone on point.

- I realized that too yesterday.

It's also a really long stretch along that entire distance, I think you should find a way to make the water turn away to a 'skybox'. Bring some of the buldings out further into the water, have the water go under them in tunnels, something to make it less blocky and square than it is now.

- Actually I thought of making the water go like this:

water.jpg

the 2nd points seemed in a weird spot first couple rounds. I'm sure some signage would help. Wasn't bad once you learn the map though.
But they are way too big and open.

- I'm definatly swaping the first and second CP of both teams.
- They'll get more crowded once I go into detailing.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
214_medium.jpg

Make holes like in 2fort in that bridge, so you can snipe through it.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Hey,

today's work:

added bridges on both sides that cannot be accessed to block LoS for snipers, also changed the way you exit the water here. Made the exit +50% in width and changed it so now you'll exit on the corner rather than directly at the CP as before.

more changes are coming tomorrow ;-)

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
Oh my... I've gotta say, that vista there is BREATHTAKING. I cannot WAIT to see this map textured and detailed and... AND... *jizz*

<3

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Oh my... I've gotta say, that vista there is BREATHTAKING. I cannot WAIT to see this map textured and detailed and... AND... *jizz*

<3

You know all this time I have Windows Vista on my PC I never actually looked up what vista meant until now. :)

Well its at least taking 2 more month until this baby is completely finished, so don't too excited yet ;)

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
Hey,

no updates today. Just thought I mentioned an idea I had. The story of my map is that blu and red lived in piece in venice and that the blu heavy (the king) is married to (a female) red heavy version(the queen). But the peace ended when the queen cheated on the king with a blu one. Now the kingdom is in war and fighting about the control of the precious city.

To sell this (in my opinion funny) story I will make some framed pictures inside the upper castle parts of the happiest moments of the couple (on TF2 maps preferably). Now I you consider yourself a gifted artist you are invited to create one of these pictures yourself and I'll definately include them (with credits) if I or any user finds them particulary funny or impressive.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Link_Mah_Boi_by_zephyrcape.jpg

Mah Boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive foooooor.

S3BB0_L1C1OUS

Nov 2, 2008
looks great so far but I think you might run out of brushes. You might need to make some of them models.

I think I am @ 60-70%, so I'll guess you're right :rolleyes:

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
BTW I'm a bit delayed with the gondola model :( (school). So when do you want them? (I'm pretty busy till X-mas) but i'll do my best to meet any deadline :p