[WIP] CP_Avanti_District

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Looks good
  1. LOVE the bent door effect on second to last screen
  2. Its looking really good now, it looks much more like a valve map :thumbup1:
  3. You seem to have gone from trim crazy to barely any trims at all, get a few more wooden beams in there to break up that metal.
  4. For the roof edges I'd use the metal I beam texture, it looks far better than having the same texture on the top as the sides.
  5. Layout looks good, plenty of alternative routes
  6. The area bounded by the final screenshot looks an iddy bit open, whilst I haven't played it and don't know for definate but it looks like it won't be so good for close quarters classes like the pyro or scout
  7. Last screenshot - the trim at the bottom of the blue wall doesn't look so good, also, get a nice big overlay on that wall, its a bit bland

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Oops, added 2 more shots in the edit and resized them, i think they're in the same order though. But yea..

This is quite open for a pyro, yea. A scout has a major advantage going the alternative route through the building, i think i already mentioned with his double jump he can get onto the cp through those "loading access doors". A good point though as i was keeping in mind demo, soldier, sniper and engi whilst constructing this area. Hw guy will probably have a hard time as well.. can't really tell without actually playing a game on it. This was always a tough section where people took a lot of spam flak on the original.

A lot of the trims have been restricted to the inside, going through badlands and dustbowl i saw that there were hardly any trims on the outside of the buildings. I'll need to go back and edit more of the first section to make it look more "valve-y" and in keeping with the rest of the map.

5.jpg

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
You're all wrong!! :D

IMO it depends on if there is fighting n those areas. If there is fighting the roof shouls be higher so there is more room etc whereas if there isn't is doesn't matter as much.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Chicken hunter and lolz, keep posts that aren't about the topic to the off topic thread please ;)

From the screenshots the map looks very washed out and grey, I know hammer has this effect and that your light_environment will fix most of that but what sort of lighting have you got in there, some ingame shots would be helpful for critique really.
Looks like your interiors are a little sparce, try adding a few props here and there, like the junction boxes, stacks of tires/boxes/oil drums/wire spools/hose pipes...etc
In the last screenshot on the first set, the highest teamspawn is standing on a thin surface, looks like if a heavy walked over that it would buckle in an instant, get my drift?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'll get some more props against the walls, as you can see the closer to the 4th cp the fewer props i've managed to place. I've added some crates, barrels and tires around defensive positions but nothing too fancy. I replaced the truck with some crates, tires, and oil stain and some health/ammo.

I know what you mean about it looking very grey, i've tried to mix up the textures a bit but untill i get a compile and see for real i'll not bother to change things drastically. Textures sometimes look nothing like what they do in hammer, hue wise.

I'll deffinately get some conduits and the like onto those walls. This was just to show some construction and layout really, further critique can come with more appropriate ingame shots, but i've spent most of my time lunking stuff around ready for moving out. I've literally just got my bed and pc now :p In terms of lighting i havn't really had a chance to go into that. Most of it has been outside so i havn't been to concerned about it just yet. I'll stick some of those metallic bowl lights into that metal/concrete corridor.

Though i have to ask, and this seems like a really nubbish question. Should i add a standard light along with this spotlight? Because i've looked at several valve maps and can't seem to figure how they get 'light' shadows behind their spotlights. Because they havn't brightened the secondary ambience of the environment light and Gravel Pit seems to be the only map where they incorporate standard lighting entities to brighten the shadows. Though i have to say it looks brighter in the screen shot than ingame.. i'm not sure whether that was a good or bad thing. I could have just been over reacting to the contrast of moving form the bright outside to this.
cp_avanti_b_compile0026.jpg

I'll need to add a sprite in there for good measure.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Does look a bit dark, one thing they do is give their spotlights a wide outer angle, often 75+ which makes the ceiling area far more likely to get lit.
And of course they run RAD with a greater number of light bounces than 'normal' (and possibly even -final) which will light the ceilings better as well.

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
I`m having similar problems on my map. Going to run a test compile with -final on a small room to experiment.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
scs.jpg

Some detail updates. Erm. Hammer shots i know, i'm so close to actually enclosing the map that i'm holding off a pre-compile untill i do. Plan to compile next Monday. Before then here are some visuals of aesthetic changes.

I guess it's about 80% completed excluding edits i may have to perform to the final version, when i eventually do compile it. This will be a play testable version. significantly, things done have been correcting and modifying things people have commented on, but i have also been constructing the 4th CP (which goes slowly but methodically). I really want to add more but i'll save it for Monday with ingame shots.

the first screen shot people probably wont recognise. It's in the large building that houses the 4th CP (upstairs). Main access to assualt the last CP will be from the left. However this route is closer to the enemy spawn and riddled with decent sg and ambush positions. I may open this area if it turns out too "stale-matey" as it is quite narrow and compact. It'll ruin my nice loading bay i've created but will be more open and beautiful i reckon if i put the effert into a nice skybox.

The right hand route is more indirect and doesn't really offer any time penalties, which is quite convinient for the attackers; however it is very easily defended at 2 choke points. After the first choke point you gain access to the central area in the first ss, on the raised platform, from which you can rocket/grenade up, to outside th 4th CP room. Other than this there is little need to pass the second choke point unless you want to off balance the defence and flank them. Destroying teleporter entrances and killing the defenders before they get a chance to reach the 4th CP to defend it. So other than the demo and soldier, other classes will not actually be able to gain access to the final CP without going all around the back and end up at the left side, but are able to serisouly disrupt the defences.

Well, so that's pretty much how the gameplay seems to look like it will play out so far.

As you can see i got rid of that texture with the rails on it, i played around and extended the track around through some of the buildings. I also got rid of the dirt mound on the second spawn exit, mainly to get rid of the shadow leaks. But i brought the big red building forwards too, this looks neater overall.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Looking good, will definitely be trying this one out when its done

:thumbup1:

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
Still, that ceiling should have way more light bouncing onto it then it has. It's basically pitch black on top. My guess is there is a leak somehwere. I've had that happen on several occasions. Sometimes leaks cause light bounce to leave from ceilings.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You know, the dark ceilings can be fixed by simply compiling rad with more bounces...

just add -bounce 20 to the rad parameters and it will do twice as many light bounces as normal (so indirect lighting is better and dark areas are lightened)

(and if you're still not sure about that light, it might be inside the prop's collision mesh)