What do you guys do when you are putting payload track models together neatly?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cream Tea, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Cream Tea

Cream Tea L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, I haven't posted on here for ages but here it goes :p

When it comes to adding payload tracks I find this very irritating especially when attempting inclines...

[​IMG]

I know you will never get it truly seamless but there must be a way to at least precisely rotate and transform models so that it's very close.

I've been using hammer editor for years and unless I have missed something there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

How do you guys usually deal with this?

2. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    • Grid size 1 (arrow key nudging is useful and goes 1 unit if you hold ctrl)
    • Ctrl + M to move props by less than 1 units if absolutely necessary
    • Hold shift while rotating (rotates by 0.5 degrees). Also, adjust rotation by hand in the entity properties
    • Intersect models with the ground (if you have tracks going up a slope, the top needs to end at the correct spot but the bottom doesn't)
    • Use displacements to hide your mistakes
    • Look at official maps, realize they didn't do a perfect job either, and then stop trying so hard

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Cream Tea

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't even know CTRL-M was a thing or shift to rotate by half a unit.

Thank you I'll try that.

And I guess I don't have to get it 100% perfect but I do like things to be as neat as possible if you know what I mean.

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Use trigonometry if you want to perfectly rotate props on slopes. Tan in particular helps with converting between slope ratios and angles.

5. Cream Tea

Positive Ratings:
    I guessed you could mathematically work it out but like Idolon said I probably don't need to try that hard. ;)