Water Wheel

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Aki, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Aki

Aki L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Any maps out there that involve a water wheel, like you might see at an old mill? Would it need a no-build texture, or should an engie silly enough to build on it get to watch as the build is thrown into the water and smashed?

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    There was one from the dynamic payload contest. And nobuild is not a texture. It isn't a material either. It is a brush entity called func_nobuild.

3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
  4. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If an engy makes a building and the ground then moves out from under it, I'm fairly sure the sentry just floats in midair. Even if that's not the case, there's no way to 'throw' a sentry, as they don't obey physics in the same way that, say, a pipe bomb does.

5. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make the wheel, then make another cylinder brush around it. Give it the trigger texture and make it func_nobuild, that way they wont be able to.

Make sure your func_nobuild brush is bigger than the wheel, because engies can build around func_nobuilds but not in them.

6. Fish 2.0

Positive Ratings:
    The sentry isn't coded with physics. You could do something really hackish like kill the sentry then spawn a sentry prop and have that with the physics that rolls off, but then you have to deal with skins and stuff, so no.

EDIT: I keep forgetting this forum doesn't compress double posts into one post. Whoops.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure you can't build on top of dynamic entities to begin with.

8. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I built on the top of the train in Well.
    I still am wondering what happened with that sentry.

9. Yacan1

aa Yacan1 D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R

Positive Ratings:
    There was one I can't remember, it had the best detailing in my opinion. Was alpine then the dude switched it to upward theme, it worked pretty well actually. Pretty sure it was KOTH, had 2 water wheels on the side with the point in the middle I think.

10. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
  11. Fish 2.0

Positive Ratings:
    I'm assuming it would have been built on the nobuild brush the train model is parented to.

12. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

If you wish, I can release this. It doesn't have a collision model, or an animation, so you'll have to do both of those in hammer (easy).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    since its own thread is several years old, can I use this thread to say that koth_watermill is freakin' gorgeous?