Water Texture Library

Water Texture Library V3

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Water Texture Library - A library of official water textures.

A library of water textures to help map developers compare and choose which one to use in their map. The main room has various labeled portals, and entering a portal takes you to the room which contains a volume of the chosen water texture. Each room has a label sitting above the water so you can remember exactly which texture you're looking at and can find it in Hammer's texture browser.

I was trying to pick a water texture for use in mvm_cargoship, and I needed a way of quickly and easily comparing how various water textures looked in-game. I couldn't find another map like this, so I whipped one up in a little over half a day. I decided to polish and share it in case anyone else finds it useful.

Screenshots and credits can be found in the Overview section.

Last edited:

[Rx.] Christian Troy

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 23, 2017
Thank you. This makes it much easier for a comparison like you said. ;)

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Version 2: Jungle Update
This update includes the new water textures added in the Jungle Inferno update, some community-created water textures, and also just general improvements and enhancements.
-Added new island water textures that were added in the Jungle Inferno update
-Added a new portal room connecting to 5 community-created water textures and a credits section where users can find the download pages for these textures
-When viewing a water texture, the texture name is now displayed as a string of text at the top of the HUD rather than as an annotation on the opposite wall
-Lengthened the ramp going into the water to make it less steep
-Widened the portals to make entering them easier
-Removed the unnecessary "water_" prefixes from the portal room labels
-Expanded the skybox
-Clipped some stuff
-When in a portal room, a message on the HUD tells you what room you are in
-Added env_cubemaps to the portal rooms
-Added a spawnroom brush to the portal rooms for both teams
-Players respawn in the last portal room they were in
20171025211906_1.jpg
The main portal room that you spawn in. It contains portals to all of the official water textures, as well as a portal to access the community water textures. The labels are hidden. You can see the labels in the final screenshots. The doorway on the far left contains a resupply cabinet.

20171025211935_1.jpg
The room in which each water texture is contained. All rooms are identical except for the water texture and the label. The texture here is water/water_2fort. Again, the label is hidden.

20171025212053_1.jpg
Some of the labels in the main portal room.

20171025212026_1.jpg
Some of the labels in the community portal room.
Go to the update entry...
Download this version

Last edited:

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
This is something I've always needed in my life, thanks!

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Version 2a
20171026095654_1.jpg
-Fixed the portal label for sawmill reading "dest_sawmill"
-Fixed the swamp and murky rooms displaying the wrong name on the HUD
-Fixed a typo in the powerup room HUD label
-Optimization

Download this version

Last edited:

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Version 3: lARGE wATER
I made all the rooms bigger. Like, a fuckton bigger. Also some other stuff idk. Also also, instances are raw proof that God is real and benevolent.

-Rebuilt the entire map from the ground up
-Added a "Previous Water" feature: Each room contains two portals which, when entered, will take the player to the previous water texture room they visited.
-When a player dies, they will respawn in their current room after 3 seconds
-Using noclip to bypass portals and move between rooms is now properly supported
-When returning to a portal room, the player will return through the portal for the room they returned from
-Added more community water textures
-Added some water textures that function as entities. In the rooms for these textures, the pool is divided in half, with one half being a world brush while the other is a func_water_analog or non-solid func_movelinear entity. Button controls located on the walls can be used to move the entity brush vertically.
-Added more dx80 water textures
-Swamp water textures have been moved into Official Water Textures section
-The respawnroom trigger now convers the entire map
-Community water texture creators are credited below the water texture path/name that appears on the HUD in each water room (in addition to the existing credits room)
-A download button in each community water texture room posts a download URL to the console when pressed

v3 (4).jpg v3 (5).jpg v3 (1).jpg v3 (2).jpg v3 (3).jpg

Download this version