VIDE - a how-to

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Correct. If you have your compile set up like this, it'll only update the entities:

Rm0JBB1.png

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Correct. If you have your compile set up like this, it'll only update the entities:

-snip-

Waitwaitwait, are you saying if I change only entities in my map, I don't have to do a full compile and just use this to update?
Damn, I love learning new stuff.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Yep! However, something along the lines of "Entity-only compile! Recompile before release!" will appear in the console. If you're a stickler for professionalism, you'll want to do another full compile.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
You might be able to stop that message by removing the stale.txt file from the map using VIDE later on.

For anyone who's interested in learning more about what's possible with VBSP arguments, check out the page for VBSP on the Source SDK wiki. For example, there's an argument that lets you compile entities, lighting and so on in to a map that has already got packed stuff inside it so you don't need to go through the whole packing process again later on. Probably even uses the same cubemaps, too.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks - you just saved me a TON of time - ie you want to see an effect in real mode but the trigger for it broke - then once tested run a final compile!!!

goem

L3: Member
Sep 15, 2016
Hey look my map isn't a missingtexture shitfest anymore!