Vector

CTF Vector Final

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Some thoughts from gameday:
1. First stage was spammy. Demospam, engy spam, spam.
2. First stage rock tunnel (where you were setting up as engy) was horribly cramped. Low ceiling, lack of room, took one red pyro to flush out 3-4 blu players if they were in there.
3. Second stage point 1 was spammy. Couldn't stay alive for more than ten seconds with the demospam.
4. Stage point 1 was a steamroll, and blue got to the second point before red had time to prepare a decent defense.

Detailing is looking excellent.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
i loved the detailings..no idea how to do it that quality man..

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
No idea what I'm going to do with this.

I will probably be giving red some better cover outside their CP, but in turn I will reduce blu's spawn time and add some one-way doors.

Aside from that, I'm really starting to feel that mappers block creep up on me.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Maybe you can do some of these minor things:
1. These windows looked really out of place/undetailed to me. I know they're technically fine, but... (Screenie)
2. You can stand and walk on the bar, might consider playerclipping it? (Screenie)
3. The red lighting/skins in the Blu spawn confused me a bit at first. Maybe at least the Exit sign could change skin? (Screenie)
4. The gates open too late in my opinion. They don't block you, but it seems weird walking into a disappearing wall =P (Screenie)
5. "a doorframe within a dorr frame, interesting" in the Red spawn. We have no idea what it's supposed to be, maybe I'm just stupid? (Screenie)
6. The lights on the roofs use VPhysics? Again, maybe playerclip? (Screenie)

...I'm not helping Icarus' OCD at all, am I?

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
We just got done giving a33 a few rounds of play. (12v12) One round the offense went all the way to win it (although it came down to the last ten or so seconds on 2-2, and a certain heavy snagging the intel and making a break for the zone), and the second time they got blocked on 2-2.

The players were *definitely* enjoying it.

2-2 seems to be the common block, though, with sentries up on the "battlements".

Part of me wonders how it'd work if the capture zone was down a floor in the middle, and if there was a side path that'd exit out underneath the "battlements" platform, out of view of the "no man's land" that the sentries create between the dam building and the one in front of it.. The current one's still fairly exposed to sentries up there, which just seem to butcher things.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
First round, nobody could get near 1-2, so it felt very tight and spammy. Second round, attackers kept the defending team backed up against the wall, thus leaving the defending team feeling that there are no safe spots for them to push the enemy back.

Considering other gamedays played out well, I think it's safe to assume the teams were stacked, as I remember opting NOT to scramble the teams.

I remember playing maps like Glacier or Egypt and noted how much I despised vertical combat. Looking at Vector's stage 2, it's based around that concept. In short, It's going to be leveled. I'm going to remove the goddamn uphill battle on 2-2 to get rid of the extreme vertical combat that I force BLU into.

With the exception of 2-2, I believe Vector is at a stage where gameday tests are becoming less and less relevant. Playtest results seem to be getting more dependent on whose playing. I'm going to save myself from my obsessive updates over the conflicting feedback I get and move towards a public beta, so I can get more meaningful feedback from larger samples.

So yes, that means there will not be an alpha 139 :p

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
You may want to remove these pyro ragdolls ;)

Vector%20pyros.jpg

THESE ARE STILL THERE :p

Feb 14, 2008
I spent a whole day mapping 2 days ago... and I haven't been able to do a thing since. Mapper's block, it hurts. I usually find working on something completely unrelated but just as important sometimes helps.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Well, on a quick run around of stage 1, I spotted 2 things.

Firstly, as trotim has said, on several doors near to the second cap, there is a doorframe within a dorframe which is a bit odd at first.

Secondly, as you exit the spawn, the door to the setup area of stage 2 is open. I don't know why this happened as we were still playing on stage 1. It might be due to the fact that we had just played through a round before where blue had won but I don't know.

Edit: I'm going to have a run around in the other stages now and also see if I can get another picture of the problem with the door since the file was corrupt for some reason.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I used that door many times before outdoors, but I can see how badly they stick out indoors.

In other news, I have implemented this revolutionary concept which BLU can actually fight RED on an equal ground.
revolutionary.jpg

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
That looks better. The one thing I've always disliked about 2 - 2 is the fact that BLU have very little room to work with against RED. As soon as you turn the corner you get within the range of most sentries.

Owlruler

Dec 10, 2008
D:
ON ... THE ... SAME ...LEVEL?!?

But seriously, the should help prevent the fact that is was nigh on impossible to capture that point.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I think I'm going to release one more alpha, with only stage 2 & 3 playable. I've removed the absurd 200 unit height advantage RED enjoyed and given some extra options for both teams. Such drastic changes needs a little bit of testing.

ctf_vector_a340002.jpg

ctf_vector_a340001.jpg

Owlruler

Dec 10, 2008
That looks nice but I can't imagine a way of texturing that in the hydro style.

But I'm sure you will

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I submitted a special version of Vector for Saturday's gameday, where only Stages 2 & 3 will be playable.

Stage 2 has completely changed, stage 3 been streamlined, and I've started detailing stage 2.

ctf_vector_a340004.jpg

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
That looks a bit too realistic, it took a second or two to see the TF2 in it. The hazard tape-metal part is just weird, and the space overall seems to have too much visual noise for TF2. And what's with having three lights one way and another perpendicular to them? Very odd.