Update on the Halloween Update

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I know my favorite server is registered and has been for the quickplay benefits for ages. Most probably are, tbh, but no harm in asking.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't think it does unless you opt into matchmaking or something. I'm not 100% sure though?

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I heard that being registered requires your server to stick to a very strict mapcycle, i.e. no customs on the server at any time.
Nah, you can register and play Customs just fine.

You'll only get players from Quickplay when playing on most Valve maps.

The Valve(ish) maps that *won't* get players from Quickplay are Hydro, Degroot, Manor, Harvest_event, and any arena map.

There's some server tags that'll disqualify you from getting quickplay players as well.

*friendlyfire
*respawntimes
*nocrits
*norespawntime
*nodmgspread
*highlander
*noquickplay

The last one comes from the tf_server_identity_disable_quickplay cvar.

Also, you have to not have a password on the server as well.

EDIT: Also, word in from Valve that there's going to be a special Halloween Quickplay match option when the update goes live.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Well, there goes my theory that the rules have been applying to Mann Manor.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Nah, you can register and play Customs just fine.

You'll only get players from Quickplay when playing on most Valve maps.

The Valve(ish) maps that *won't* get players from Quickplay are Hydro, Degroot, Manor, Harvest_event, and any arena map.

There's some server tags that'll disqualify you from getting quickplay players as well.

*friendlyfire
*respawntimes
*nocrits
*norespawntime
*nodmgspread
*highlander
*noquickplay

The last one comes from the tf_server_identity_disable_quickplay cvar.

EDIT: Also, word in from Valve that there's going to be a special Halloween Quickplay match option when the update goes live.

So in other words vanilla?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I can understand excluding the event maps from quick play, and maybe even DeGroot since it's a pretty different playstyle from any other map... but hydro? Are they pretty much saying the hell with TC?

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
I can understand excluding the event maps from quick play, and maybe even DeGroot since it's a pretty different playstyle from any other map... but hydro? Are they pretty much saying the hell with TC?

Sadly, apparentally so :(

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

They already said that about a year ago. They said they would like to try a new one, but that would need an in depth discussion of why hydro failed, which they don't want to take the time to do and only gets harder by the day

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
There's no TC option in the quickplay menu AFAIK, which is fair enough since there's only one official TC map.

When you put it like that it makes a little more sense.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
They already said that about a year ago. They said they would like to try a new one, but that would need an in depth discussion of why hydro failed, which they don't want to take the time to do and only gets harder by the day

But did Hydro fail? I thought it was a great map it was only put down by the lack of other maps of it's gamemode.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
But did Hydro fail? I thought it was a great map it was only put down by the lack of other maps of it's gamemode.

m50EX.png
(bwaam) sums it up well. Hydro has some interesting gameplay but I feel that it isn't a sit down and play map thus why I think it isn't on "quick play" it isn't all that quick. Several 2cp maps within one larger maps makes me feel like that I have to not be doing anything for the next half hour so I can focus on my team and such.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Seriously if valve want discussion of why hydro failed we have that covering 40% of this site.

Or, if we want to make it easy for them, there's one thread in particular that I think summed it up perfectly. I don't remember where it was, but it was made back when Strata was first getting underway and had one very informative post pointing out a major layout issue: The two rounds where the points are across the diagonal from each other are confined to only one route each because there wasn't room to make two possible routes, and between that and the longer walk between points, those two rounds are extremely prone to stalemating.