Unofficial Christmas Control Point Gift-a-thon Contest

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
No, the props were allowed outside the map so long as their origins were inside the 2048x2048.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Well in that case, my waterfalls origin is outside of the boundaries...

Probably should've been a bit clearer, but when I said props were allowed outside, I didn't mean whole props in the background, more larger props sticking out of the limit a little, is this the case or should I move my waterfall so the origin is inside?

Lyzak

L2: Junior Member
Aug 17, 2010
Ok, then this contest is going to be a fair bit more difficult for me to pull off.

I really hope I can manage. This is a neat idea. It might even be fun to play on, along with being aesthetically appealing.

Wish me luck I guess? =)

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Lyzak, pull an Icarus. Using the 2048x2048 limit, build a control point and have a simple spawnpoint in it for both teams to spawn in. Then after the contest, build a map out of it with spawns and more control points, etc.

This is a detailing contest. It doesn't need to function like a control point.

Lyzak

L2: Junior Member
Aug 17, 2010
No no, not the point. I don't aspire to make a full map out of this. I can't really describe it without messing it up with spoilers, so nevermind I guess.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Quick question about the 2028x2028 rule.

How much has to be within that radius? Just the area around the capture point? Or the entire map...

Without giving away any spoilers, I wanted my map to be intractable... not just a screenshot; but the main focus could easily be within those size constraints. However, to add spawn rooms and the bit of extra space around the control point I need to make the map "playable" (which I understand is not necessary, but I don't want to waste this idea), I might have to breach those limits.

What do you think?

Going so far as to build an entire map in a 2048x2048 space is just really really arrogant. It doesn't need to be functional, just needs a space for everyone to run around in. The limit stands.

Well in that case, my waterfalls origin is outside of the boundaries...

Probably should've been a bit clearer, but when I said props were allowed outside, I didn't mean whole props in the background, more larger props sticking out of the limit a little, is this the case or should I move my waterfall so the origin is inside?

Move the origin back inside the map boundaries.

Oh and someone asked me about moving the deadline back a week so that we can play the maps. Can't find the post. I don't know what I was on, but obviously we won't be playing through the maps as a group. The whole "submit a bsp" is just so that community members can get a good look at all of your map, more than just one screenshot. Gameplay doesn't matter. It's all visual.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Payload checkpoints count as control points.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
Can't the size be a little bit more flexable, like 3500x3500 ?
The map just looks very cramped and ugly when it's 2048x2048...
Or is it just me? (and in that case could I ask to make my entery 3500x3500 ?)
Thanks
Edit: could I use an intelligence as a Cap-Point?

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
The point of 2048^2 detailing contests is fitting a nice amount of detail into a small space while making it feel like an actual area instead of a plane full of stuff (Immersion practice?). Flexibility should show in the detail, not the size of the plane.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Agreed Gerbil.

I'm pretty confident I could do the idea I had if making hollow cones wasn't such an awful, awful process. Not to mention that tree branches may have a macro-structure of a hollow cone but aren't.

So I've given up. I'd rather spend my time working on some other things.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Can't the size be a little bit more flexable, like 3500x3500 ?
The map just looks very cramped and ugly when it's 2048x2048...
Or is it just me? (and in that case could I ask to make my entery 3500x3500 ?)
Thanks

What did I just say about the size limit?

Edit: could I use an intelligence as a Cap-Point?

Yes.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Protip to those who want more space...

Turn everything 90 degrees and build your map on Z-axis!

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I don't see the point in even having a size limit. If someone wants to make a big map let them, that's just more detail they have to make

The size limit is there for two reasons: to prevent massive entries that seem to overshadow the rest of the competition in sheer scope of the control point and to give an idea of roughly how large entries should be. Not to mention, the size forces entrants to get more creative.

EDIT:

Attention contestants!
To save time at the end of the contest, I'll be requesting a .vmf file of your entry upon submission. If you have a problem with this, feel free to discuss it.

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
The size limit is there for two reasons: to prevent massive entries that seem to overshadow the rest of the competition in sheer scope of the control point and to give an idea of roughly how large entries should be. Not to mention, the size forces entrants to get more creative.

Personally, if someone can make an entry that just "overwhelms all of the other ones", I think they should win. An entry won't overwhelm others for the sole reason of it being bigger than 2048*2. Restricting doesn't mean creativity.

If you still insist on having a limit, atleast raise it to something like 4096. 2048 is pretty small and it looks awkward when maps abruptly end

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Keep the limit. Without it, the contest just seems boring to me. Making it look good while keeping in a smallish area makes it a challenge. Also, I already have my two entries planned out and started...

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
The current limit is fine. Remember, you're designing ONE CONTROL POINT (not even a functioning one!), not an entire map! Not even anything outside of the room the CP sits in if you don't want to! If you really think you need more than that, you probably need to either re-tool your idea as a whole, scrap it altogether, and/or read up on scaling again here. The dimensions in there show you that you can cram a LOT into that 2048 square.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
I'm entering. Put sandstone on hold (item creation!!!) and so i have time for a detail map. I even have some ideas i'd like to try out.