Unofficial Christmas Control Point Gift-a-thon Contest

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
Does the CP need to have a "traditional" CP design, as in one that looks like it could work in a gameplay scenario, or can the CP be more of a detail item, with props piled on top of it/poking through it/etc.?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
No. 3D skyboxes are basically exploiting the size limit. You can always get creative with particle effects.

Yeah, see, I wanted to be able to use a skybox for the sole purpose of putting particles in there, not to extend the map in any other way - so you'd see fireworks in the distance too, but not other details. I understand how, under regular circumstances, a skybox would not be allowed. But I guess I can manage to cook something up either way.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Does the CP need to have a "traditional" CP design, as in one that looks like it could work in a gameplay scenario, or can the CP be more of a detail item, with props piled on top of it/poking through it/etc.?

It doesn't have to function, but it does need to look like a control point. It's fine to pile props on it but don't bury it under a whole bunch of barrel crates or something.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
'Control point' means it can be cp or pl right? I made an entry into the last contest using a payload control point, with big signs and a cart with a flashing light, and most people said they couldn't find the control point :(

What about ctf though? Would give me an easy way to add the flag in the map, rather than think of somewhere to put a control point.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
OnTopic: it's kinda hard to fill anything of interest around a control point with only 2048 hu. If it was 2048hu of walkable space, and then some out of bounds eye candy, sure, perfect scale, but right now I feel like my 2d skybox will be visible or I'll have to throw some random walls just to block it.

2048 hu is about as large as the area between the bedrooms in Toy Fort. There's quite a bit you can do in that space if you think of it the right way. ;)

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Updated the prize information. I'll now gladly buy hats and weapons, and probably also the gift wrap for them, as long as you don't ask for a million things.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
A few things;

- You're finishing this on Christmas itself? You might want to make the deadline a few days before, so we can play the full array of maps on Christmas, instead of in January.

- European will get screwed here. Shipping outside of the US costs a lot of extra money (like $20), so if they win, they won't be able to take any of the prices except the virtual ones.

I know that you can't really overcome that because it's your charity really, and it's Valve's fault of anyone's, but I'm just saying.

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
$10 is cheapest shipping, and if I did win or come in the top 3, I would rather have a product than ingame items... Why does it cost so much from Valve?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Just to make sure, will there be a "special" contest subforum again or are we just supposed to make a thread in the generic map showcase board with the according prefix ?

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
A few things;

- You're finishing this on Christmas itself? You might want to make the deadline a few days before, so we can play the full array of maps on Christmas, instead of in January.

I'm considering it. Is it alright with everyone here if I take off about a week from the deadline?

- European will get screwed here. Shipping outside of the US costs a lot of extra money (like $20), so if they win, they won't be able to take any of the prices except the virtual ones.

I know that you can't really overcome that because it's your charity really, and it's Valve's fault of anyone's, but I'm just saying.

Now I'm afraid for my wallet.

All in all total fees that actually go to the product come out to (at most) $32. If everyone wants an actual thing and lives in Europe, and assume $20 is shipping, that's $72. That is potentially a lot of money, but I have a large surplus and am expecting a massive rebate soon anyway.

Just to make sure, will there be a "special" contest subforum again or are we just supposed to make a thread in the generic map showcase board with the according prefix ?

I was going to ask drp nearer to the end of the contest about getting a special forum. I might speed that process up so we can see some stuff sooner.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Generally these kinds of contests (mini contest, really) have:
  • A Rules Thread
  • A Submission Thread
  • A Voting Thread

All of these can be done in the TF2Maps.net > Discussion > Contests forum. There is not an individual thread in the Maps Showcase forum for entries due to them not being actual maps, simply 2048 squared areas of (hopefully) awesome.

Lyzak

L2: Junior Member
Aug 17, 2010
Quick question about the 2028x2028 rule.

How much has to be within that radius? Just the area around the capture point? Or the entire map...

Without giving away any spoilers, I wanted my map to be intractable... not just a screenshot; but the main focus could easily be within those size constraints. However, to add spawn rooms and the bit of extra space around the control point I need to make the map "playable" (which I understand is not necessary, but I don't want to waste this idea), I might have to breach those limits.

What do you think?

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
^ As a suggestion, maybe you should build what you want to build, complete with spawns and everything else needed for full functionality, but then cut it down to just an area within the 2048x2048 limts and use that for your contest submission? :)

To answer your other question, 2048x2048 is the total maximum dimensions for the map - nothing whatsoever can be outside of this, but you can go vertical as far as you want with no limits.

(I know I have nothing to do with running the contest, but I know how these things work, so I feel I can answer ;))

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
To answer your other question, 2048x2048 is the total maximum dimensions for the map - nothing whatsoever can be outside of this, but you can go vertical as far as you want with no limits.

I'm going to think back to the last contest where we were restricted on size, and props/skybox walls were allowed outside of the 2048 limit, just so long as everything else is inside the limit.