Unofficial Christmas Control Point Gift-a-thon Contest

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Would it be ok if I started a few days late? I'm kind of stuck overseas at the moment so mapping isn't really possible :(

Of course. There's plenty of time.

So does that mean we can use any custom content that have a public download link?

Yes. Please give credit to the respective authors, though.

Alrgith, i tried wording this the best way possible:

Are we allowed to recreate scenes from a book or a movie? (as long as it follows listed req's?)

As long as it's not something offensive, I don't see how it wouldn't follow the guidelines. So yes.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I feel like making a map that takes place in a giant Christmas tree.
Just because I can.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I LOVE THIS CONTEST!

<3

I'm getting to work on mine straightaway!

Quick question - are point_servercommands or whatever they're called allowed? Mine's going to require editing of server settings for people to fully appreciate it

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Its probably ok, the rules say that the maps need not even be playable, so go for it.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
So as I understand it from people in the chat, we can do any (winter?) holiday, right? Just wanna confirm this once and for all, from you, Nerd.

So then, can I do New Year's Eve?

If I can, I have a problem with the rule that states "3D skyboxes are not allowed.", because this means I can't have any fireworks going off in the distance, and the whole thing will be really lame. :(

Can't this rule be revised so that you can have like, a pretty simple skybox, so long as you don't extend the actual central detail of your map into the skybox to enlarge it?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Seems like I should dedust my hammer and prepare for stupid unfunny not working ideas and a disturbung finish :D
YAY !!!

We shall open a "weird christmas and holiday decoration"-thread RIGHT NOW !

Basically I'm gonna take rexys mansion models, make some silly light models for them and call it quits \o/

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Besides, I'm still a beginner, so I guess it's pointless to join a contest so soon.

A contest would actually do you good. Especially a detail contest as it'll increase your skill in detailing or make you fully accustomed to how Hammer works.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
A contest would actually do you good. Especially a detail contest as it'll increase your skill in detailing or make you fully accustomed to how Hammer works.

Agreed, the reason I got into mapping was because of the Artpass, I fiddled around with it and learned a ton, although i'm not a master yet (i'm still noob), I still had fun and learned a ton.

Go for it! You never know!

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
So as I understand it from people in the chat, we can do any (winter?) holiday, right? Just wanna confirm this once and for all, from you, Nerd.

So then, can I do New Year's Eve?

Yes.

If I can, I have a problem with the rule that states "3D skyboxes are not allowed.", because this means I can't have any fireworks going off in the distance, and the whole thing will be really lame. :(

Can't this rule be revised so that you can have like, a pretty simple skybox, so long as you don't extend the actual central detail of your map into the skybox to enlarge it?

No. 3D skyboxes are basically exploiting the size limit. You can always get creative with particle effects.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Sounds like an awesome contest. Considering I've never actually completed a fully functional map this seems right up my alley. Artpass/detailing is probably my favorite part of mapping so I may very well decide to enter - providing I come up with a suitable idea of course.

Apr 13, 2009
Nobody wants to see another bridge in a desert.

Oh, look. A bridge.
ohlookabridge.jpg

OnTopic: it's kinda hard to fill anything of interest around a control point with only 2048 hu. If it was 2048hu of walkable space, and then some out of bounds eye candy, sure, perfect scale, but right now I feel like my 2d skybox will be visible or I'll have to throw some random walls just to block it.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
2d sky probably will be visible, but considering the rules state no 3d skybox I'm sure voters will overlook the fact that the skybox walls are likely to be visible.

C00Kies

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2009
I think ill go for this one.

should be fun!

Dose it matter if some props stick out of the limit a little bit as long as most of the prop is still inside the limits?

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
As long as you have origins and stuff inside the limits, that's fine by me.