[TUTORIAL] A Beginner's Guide:The Spawn Room

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Ok so I create a brush, materials/tools/toolstrigger around it? Tie to entity? Select its properties and find func_regenerate that way? When I do this Im not alllowed to edit the Associated Model. How do i get to edit that?

Thanks!

func_anything has to be created manually. Select a brush and hit ctrl-t. This defaults to func_detail. From there, you can browse the list of stuff and select regenerate.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Hey, I'm pretty new here and new to mapping. I have a problem and I hope someone can find the time to help me...

I'm sure I made the door step by step like in the guide, but for some reason it doesn't show up in-game. I hear the sound of the door opening and closing, so I know it's there and it seems to work fine, but I simply can't see it. It's just one big hole in the wall.

EDIT: Oh, somehow I skipped the previous page, I've got the same problem as the last poster on page 4 had, except I CAN pass through the door. I'm not exactly sure what you meant, though...could someone give a little more detailed explanation?

Last edited:

Icematt12

L1: Registered
Aug 13, 2008
Is that door mentioned the only one u can use? I am experimenting with others but so far I only get the sounds.

Plus it seems there is issues with downloading your map again.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Is that door mentioned the only one u can use? I am experimenting with others but so far I only get the sounds.

Plus it seems there is issues with downloading your map again.

No, you can use any kind of sliding door/gate model.

Icematt12

Aug 13, 2008
Well, I currently have a door_slide_door.mdl floating in the air. When the door should be fully open I can only walk into the door a bit.The Door_Func and Trigger_Multiple is set up similar to those of 2 properly functioning door_slide_large_dynamic.mdl, so I'm kinda stumped.

Edit - Just changed it to a door_slide_large_dynamic, resized walls a little and it works ???

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yup, I think you've fixed it nicely there, since doors need to be prop_dynamic or else they can't move.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think you missed what he said breadhead, he changed his model to the dynamic version. I'm guessing his entity was already a dynamic prop. Some models have non animated versions and this can be a little confusing when selecting the right one (like the half-life cars have both a static and physics copy). Your prop_dynamic will be animated.. (obviously), any models with a static and dynamic/physics prop should have "dynamic" in their name to determine which is which, whilst others which are only dynamic may not be so helpfully named. You'll just have to find out for yourself or grab one from a decompiled valve map.

You can find a good bunch of animated doors in your gameplay model folder.

The reason you could probably only walk into the door "a little bit" was because your invisible func_door was moving allowing you to walk a few units closer to the model, which was not moving.

Memento Mori

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for this tutorial, now my doors work :)

But my fire extinguisher cabinet and coffee machine are slightly white and too shiny compared to everything else. Any idea why? (prop_statics)

Awcko

Aug 30, 2008
The guide mentions how the respawnroomvisualizer should have the nodraw texture on all sides except the outer side wich should have overlays/noentry or something like that, How do I put multiple textures on one brush?

Gadligg

Aug 28, 2008
You have to use the texture application tool or Shift + A.

Click on a face in the 3d view and browse for a texture. Click apply to apply a texture to a face.

Or you can do the short way and just Alt + Right Click a face to apply the texture.

Pmac

Oct 3, 2008
for some reason i cant get out of spawn... i have the func_respawnvisualizer correct.. oh and the door opens when i get near and all.. just cant get through

hmm update: my blue door wont even react now... wont trigger to open... this is so weird...

edit:

figured it out.. had my door set to 0 90 0 instead of up....

Last edited:

Cr4ig0

Oct 16, 2008
omfg, thank you so much for posting this... not only do my spawns now work but they are also awsome! :p

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
problem: My door opens fine, but theres an invisible solid blocking my path (I can't shoot through it either. )It may be my func_door. Help?

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Sounds like it might be the nodraw backside of a respawn room visualiser that isn't tied to the proper entity...

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Sounds like it might be the nodraw backside of a respawn room visualiser that isn't tied to the proper entity...

I do not have a respawn room visualiser yet, so no. :(
EDIT: I think it's something about the placement of the entitys I don't understand.

Last edited:

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
Is the door a prop? Might want to check if the collision settings are set to "bounding box", I do this by accident ocasionally so I'm already vaccinated for it.

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Is the door a prop? Might want to check if the collision settings are set to "bounding box", I do this by accident ocasionally so I'm already vaccinated for it.
It's set to vPhysics. Is it supposed to be set to bounding box?
halpfk9.jpg

Please remember that I've almost never used entities at all :(

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Now create a func_door which fills the doorway, but slightly overlaps the prop door. This will be an invisible door which controls the prop door. Give it the following properties;

Name: door_red_respawn1
Render Mode: Don't Render
Speed: 500
Delay Before Reset: -1
Move Direction: Up
Lastly, check its Flags and ensure that Touch Opens is not ticked.
I figured it out! It was the part that I have bolded here that caused it all. You must write 0 90 0 where it says Move Direction (Pitch Yaw Roll):

Brilliant tutorial otherwise, helped me a ton so far!