[TUTORIAL] A Beginner's Guide:The Spawn Room

Tetra

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
I'm having the same problem as Notoorjus, except I corrected the "up" instead of 90 degrees issue and I still couldn't pass through the door :3

I also don't have a respawn room visualizer, so it can't be that problem. I even went and downloaded a decompiled version of badlands to compare my doors to Valve's and I still couldn't really tell what the problem was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated =) And in any case, fantastic tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to make it for us newbies :D

Last edited:

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I'm having the same problem as Notoorjus, except I corrected the "up" instead of 90 degrees issue and I still couldn't pass through the door :3

Are you saying the door opens but you hit an invisible wall?

If the door isn't opening, here are some things to trouble shoot.

- Is the prop parented to the correct func_door?

- Is the up/down movement correctly set on your func_door?

- Does the correct trigger_multiple send the "open" output "Onstarttouchall" to the correct func_door (not the prop)

- Is the trigger_multiple team filtered? If so, check your filter's settings.

I'm sure there's other things to check, but this is all I can think of off the top of mu head.

Last edited:

Tetra

Nov 19, 2008
Are you saying the door opens but you hit an invisible wall?
Yes.
- Is the prop parented to the correct func_door?
I didn't know it was supposed to be parented to the func_door, but even after making that change the problem still persists.
- Is the up/down movement correctly set on your func_door?
I believe so.. the func_door is set to to move up if that's what you mean :X
- Does the correct trigger_multiple send the "open" output "Onstarttouchall" to the correct func_door (not the prop)
Yes'm, it does. The trigger_multiple is set to OnStartTouchall in the output in reference to the right func_door.
- Is the trigger_multiple team filtered? If so, check your filter's settings.
Mhmm, went and double checked if the trigger_multiple was filtered and it was, so I went and checked the filter itself and it looked alright to me.

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong, I have a feeling that it's going to be something painfully obvious in the end :confused:

Edit: Since nothing was working and I couldn't see what the problem was I decided to check to see if the changes I were making in hammer were being made when the map was compiled, so I spawned a little spray can and changed a wall texture and when I compiled the map, the texture and spray can weren't there.

So.. hammer isn't compiling my changes. This actually happened to me the first time I tried making a spawn room. I guess it's time to start looking around for ways to fix this problem now ;(. Thank for your output on the original problem though, I appreciate it.

Editx2: Okay :D So I went and downloaded interlopers compiler log error report... thing.. and it gave me a list of problems which I'm slowly in the process of correcting (one of which is a leak which I don't think is a big deal :x). But anyway, it turns out hammer doesn't want to compile maps with entities that aren't linked to anything (aka the spawnroom_visualizer I was messing with but didn't have tied to a brush apparently). Everything is working just fine now =)

And so I'd like to say thank you to the maker of this tutorial and the people who helped me out, great job, all of you :D

Last edited:

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Is there an easy way to make the respawn room visualizer bulletproof? I'd like to make it so that when the door is open it still can't be shot through (sentry firing inside the respawn when the door opens)

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Is there an easy way to make the respawn room visualizer bulletproof? I'd like to make it so that when the door is open it still can't be shot through (sentry firing inside the respawn when the door opens)

You could make the outside area nobuild, but teles...

Mortos

Jan 26, 2009
Finally, create a trigger_multiple that extends well past the door so that players can trigger the func_door to open as they approach. Since we also want this trigger to only work for one team (RED) we will need to use a filter entity. Place a filter_activator_tfteam somewhere on the map. Set its Team as Red, and name it "filter_red_team".
Back on the trigger_multiple, Set the Filter Name to the name of the filter you just created. Also, set the Delay Before Reset to 0.

Just another two outputs remain;

My output named: OnStartTouchAll
Target entities named: door_red_respawn1
Via this input: Open

My output named: OnEndTouchAll
Target entities named: door_red_respawn1
Via this input: Close

With that, what do you tie those outputs to, the trigger_multiple, the func_door, or the filter?

zornor

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 14, 2009
Those outputs are on the trigger_multiple. The target entities are the func_door (which you apparently got right).

Mortos

Jan 26, 2009
My doors arent working D:

When I approach them in-game, they make the open and close sounds, but nothing happens. They just stay in the same position. Anybody have an idea of what I did wrong?

Oh yea, I'm not using the doors used in the demo. I'm using the small doors, but none of them are dynamic.

ProfFiendish

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mortos:

Make sure the door model is parented to the moving func_door, and that the door model is actually a prop_dynamic, not a prop_static. Those were the two problems I had that fixed my doors.

Mac_OS_X

Mar 5, 2009
Great tutorial idk if this is the right place for this question but
I'm having some trouble with the door :(
It's not big enough for the hole and when i make the hole smaller the door is too big. Is there anyway to make the door bigger or smaller?

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Not as far as I know. Trying using [ and ] to change your grid size when making the hole smaller.

Mac_OS_X

Mar 5, 2009
thanks
Also i cant get my overlays to work on my walls but pretty much ive gotten the rest of my spawn room to work perfectly. But i was wondering how to make that cage on 2fort where the people spawn in.. and then are released into the spawn room.

mtv22

L3: Member
Feb 28, 2009
I think that's just a matter of putting some doors in the spawn room, and having them open when people walk near them.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
Ok, I followed all the instructions but my ressuply cabinet and my door are invisble, even though they work ._.; also, I cant see the overlay ( i was on other team). agh

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Very nice guide. This just shows how much work it takes to make something as simple as a spawnroom. Again ver nice guide, and I love the optimization part.

Dystopia

Jun 18, 2009
Ok so I have this strange issue with the spawn points in my map. I have 1 spawn point set to the red team and one to the blue team. When I spawn as which ever team the 1st time I spawn in the correct spot, however if I change teams I spawn in the same spot.

To clarify 1st spawn as red at the red spawn point, 2nd spawn as blue at the red spawn point.

Both spawn points are set to the specific team and the only things with them I have changed is the team and the name of the spawn point. I have tried deleting the spawn points all together and recreating them but I still get the same issue. Any help would be amazing, thanks.

*Edit* Dunno if this makes a difference or not, but it's a payload map.

**Edit** Nevermind, Fixed it by setting the spawn for round value.

Last edited: