[TUTORIAL] A Beginner's Guide:The Spawn Room

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Am I correct in thinking that if I parent the prop to the func_door then the entire prop will move, not just animate?

Axle

L1: Registered
Oct 23, 2010
this is very handy. i managed to make an entire spawn room using this. i googled any errors i had and all thats left to do is animate the door and test it. cheers

Broseidon

Nov 1, 2010
Great tutorial, I only have one quibble:

When I approach the door, the entire thing slides up instead of animating. How do I fix this?

Edit: I also noticed that when I entered the SetAnimation input it shows up in red text, if that helps.

Last edited:

Nerdsciencegeek

Jun 27, 2011
This really helped me too. I was creating my first trade map and wasn't really sure how to configure it, but now it's working all thanks to your tutorial.

BollyFlex

Dec 31, 2011
Um im new to this and a little bit stuck! I think im making the functions wrong because they keep turning into walls aswell so you cant see the resupply unit and the door! can someone please explain how to do this?

Thanks,

Paddy

Excellent question, I was wondering if it was OK to use the tools texture

Thanks!

:)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
When you're making a brush entity (pressing ctrl-t), make sure you're in Groups selection mode, upper right corner. That way your brush will actually get tied to the ent and should behave properly. You should use toolstrigger for the brush entities and a metal texture for the func_door (latter is just for easy identification).

Kc006

Dec 30, 2012
"Next, create a brush that fills the room, and tie it to the entity func_respawnroom."
Firstly, I'm not sure how to tie "brush objects" to entities, and I cannot find [func_respawnroom] in the entity droplist!
Need help asap, this is a very nice tutorial.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
tools/trigger (it's a texture). Select it and make a brush with it filling the spawn room.
Select the brush.
Press Ctrl+T.
Select func_respawnroom.

Why do you need to do that?
func_respawnroom is a brush-based entity. They are created and affect only the are that certain area.
Point entities (like tf_gamerules) affect the game logic or the map as a whole.
So func_respawnroom, if it was a point entity, would allow players to simply select a class and simply teleport to a team-assigned spawn point.

Kc006

Dec 30, 2012
tools/trigger (it's a texture). Select it and make a brush with it filling the spawn room.
Select the brush.
Press Ctrl+T.
Select func_respawnroom.

Why do you need to do that?
func_respawnroom is a brush-based entity. They are created and affect only the are that certain area.
Point entities (like tf_gamerules) affect the game logic or the map as a whole.
So func_respawnroom, if it was a point entity, would allow players to simply select a class and simply teleport to a team-assigned spawn point.
Wow, clear and simple. Thanks.
By the way, I moved on to the next step. I loaded the resupply locker model, but I can't name it in it's "properties'. Any idea why I cannot name it?

T

The Asylum

You're probably using it as a prop_static. You'll want to use it as a prop_dynamic instead.

General rule of prop classes: If it does nothing at all but sit there, it's a prop_static.

EDIT: bah, ninja'd by one second. my post-jitsu is rusty.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Wow, clear and simple. Thanks.
By the way, I moved on to the next step. I loaded the resupply locker model, but I can't name it in it's "properties'. Any idea why I cannot name it?

I think I might have the anwser. The name is actually on the side of the properties.
Search for "Global Name" or something like that, can't remember from memory, as a property.

EDIT: Double Ninja'd

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
It's the target name, not the global name.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Also, when you change an entity from one type to another, you have to hit Apply so Hammer will refresh the list of properties relevant to that type.