The Über Update, Day One

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
EDIT: Also looking from the image, it looks like desert, barnblitz is snow themed map.

It's not a desert see the rocks, the texture seems to be nature/blendrockgroundwallsnow and the model of the rock is models/props_forest/cliff_wall_06.mdl.

More, here's a little story about the origin of the word Blitz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz.

This fits well with the two words I think.

Oh and for your second question, you can click the classes on the header.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Still doesn't make much sense, why would be there a hospital on a map called BARNblitz.
Not to mention it can't be the last point as it says on the uber page that last point is indoors.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
The Hospital is in the classic desert environment (See Medic's Class Page), so if is in any map, it would be in another new one (Barnblitz isn't the only new map coming out)

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I think Barnblitz and Hospital are two seperate maps as i dont see any way they can't be.

I love the new weapons because I think they give us more of a choice whereas with some classes and weapon slots it was obvious which one to stick with.
Also looking at the Pyro class page it seems blatent they're still rolling with that female pyro idea.

Only one thing that dissapoints me.
Why do I get to know what the update is today but not receive it today?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
By your guys' logic the Meet the Sniper map will be released also.

aka the hospital isn't a new map, christ

Sep 12, 2008
I suspect that wont be a new map. My reasons for this are twofold, as more things should be.
1) Creating an entirely new theme from scratch- from scatter terrain to textures, most overlays, props apart from the most generic, is something valve havent done since release.
2) Wartorn areas dont appear in TF2. This game is a deliberate step AWAY from standard military stuff. Barbed wire, shell-holes etc dont fit the style. (Say what you want about tf2's artstyle in recent times, i doubt an entire map will be released in that style.)

Ahem? sorry to pop in unannounced but....

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=1760

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2732

@yyler: we'll see... we'll see. (edit: meet the sniper setting was based on goldrush (adjusted), same as meet the spy was based on 2fort (but adjusted)..)

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The point is, neither of those is new. Alpine was specifically chosen to allow reusing of desert props, same, i imagine, with snow

We also wanted to leverage some content from our existing environments, since crafting every asset from scratch would mean we'd be moving the release beyond Valve time and into the realm of geologic time.

Feb 14, 2008
By your guys' logic the Meet the Sniper map will be released also.

aka the hospital isn't a new map, christ

By your logic though, Viaduct isn't a map. It works both ways, unfortunately.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
Also looking at the Pyro class page it seems blatent they're still rolling with that female pyro idea.

That's been the pyro's character description since they released those, years back. (Actually, some, if not all, of them had been finished since day one).

Also, the pyro's original concept art very much was male.

I still don't get why everyone jumps to the conclusion that all the girly stuff he has suggests he's a woman, and not that he's a FLAMER. ;)

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Whilst i cant speak for the new weapons, there are three things i like about this update.
1) All the weapons so far are basic stat tweaks, rather than massive new effects

Wait how are basic bland stat tweaks good? These items (Revolver, Shotgun, Fists) may as well not exist because the changes are so negligible

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I don't understand why people think that the new spy items are so good?
The ambassador will still always be better than the enforcer and revolver assuming you can headshot consistently
With the knife, you already get like 30% cloak after a kill anyway due to ammo. I guess with the DR it means you can get a stab and DR out almost instantly, but still, it's not that amazing to me.

I'm most interested in this flower

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I actually prefer the revolver to the embass. Consistantly 3 shotting people at medium range in just over a second is pretty strong DPS. So the enforcer sounds pretty nice to me, especially when cloaking to escape is a pretty nooby tactic, it's better used for infultration unless it's the DR.

Sep 1, 2009
I look forward to what this update will bring :3

Mariner

L2: Junior Member
Jan 16, 2011
That's been the pyro's character description since they released those, years back. (Actually, some, if not all, of them had been finished since day one).

Also, the pyro's original concept art very much was male.

I still don't get why everyone jumps to the conclusion that all the girly stuff he has suggests he's a woman, and not the he's a FLAMER. ;)

Donning my naïveté hat for a moment, the idea that the Pyro might simply be gay would be a nice nod to J.C. Leyendecker's homosexuality, and the fact that his work helped to tinge (or rather, underscore) the popular ideal of the "man's man" containing homoerotic undertones.

Of course, I hate wearing hats. :p

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
I always assumed the "if he even is a man" line from the original Pyro character description meant that he was possibly some kind of Frankenstein monster or cyborg or something like that. Really, given his facelessness, insanity, and lumpy build, it would have never occurred to me to think that it was a woman underneath, even with the girly hats on. If it hadn't become a huge conspiracy theory on the forums, I would still think that the Pyro was, at most, an undead robo-zombie who rose from the ashes of a gas station explosion with an insatiable need to burn things, like some goofy cocktail of Freddie Kruger, Solomon Grundy, and Carnage with a flamethrower.

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
Wait how are basic bland stat tweaks good? These items (Revolver, Shotgun, Fists) may as well not exist because the changes are so negligible

Why I like minor, basic tweaks is that they subtly offer new changes to the classes' core gameplay styles while adding new models that add variety and personality to the game while still maintaining its original art style.

In general, I also tend to prefer straight forward changes that let you know almost instinctively how they will change gameplay. I never use really complicated weapons like Conniver's Kunai or Fists of Steel because I can never figure out how to work their weird mechanics to my advantage. I get "more ammo, less damage" without having to watch a YouTube tutorial.

And, like others have said, I'm frankly sick of new weapons that have illogical stat alterations. If you reskinned the game like a fantasy RPG, magic potions like Mad Milk and Dalokohs Bar would be right at home.

Not that I'm against RPG elements in principle, because that's part of what makes TF2 unique (going with the fantasy thing, the classes might as well be "races"), but why does Southern Hospitality make you take more fire damage? I get the bleed effect, but simply carrying a different wrench doesn't make the Engineer's clothing more flammable. Same goes for the Pain Train, Bushwacka, most item sets, and anything that inexplicably alters the carrier's HP (aside from shields and armor, how does that work?).

EDIT: As long as I already brought it up, the worst example of this is the Backscratcher. Not only does it make no sense that simply holding a rake lets you pick up more health from first aid kits and diminishes your ability to receive Medic health, but, when you're not holding it, it's impossible for Medics on your team to tell that you have it and it totally breaks our rhythm of healing. Seriously, if you use Backscratcher, I will not heal you.

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
EDIT: As long as I already brought it up, the worst example of this is the Backscratcher. Not only does it make no sense that simply holding a rake lets you pick up more health from first aid kits and diminishes your ability to receive Medic health, but, when you're not holding it, it's impossible for Medics on your team to tell that you have it and it totally breaks our rhythm of healing. Seriously, if you use Backscratcher, I will not heal you.

This does really annoy me, I love how the loch n load follows its model in terms of gameplay mechanics. The degreaser is awful (besides it being a terrible weapon) because it makes no sense why it would have an impact on your entire loadout's switching speed.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Just noticed that they removed all the locally-hosted videos and replaced them with YouTube ones. Because relying on offsite hosting from a site known for letting trolls remove any video they want just by filing false DMCA claims, when you already have a huge server farm with a super-high-bandwidth connection, is a great idea, right?

Sep 12, 2008
Steve: you couldn't watch those vids on apple devices, thus it's a GOOD thing they added them to youtube