The Ambassador

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
If you have to stand still to gain cloak faster, basically what that means is that you can't really run around cloaked building up your cloak with ammo. This makes it harder to decloak in a good position to stab somebody and have a good amount of cloak left. And, even if you do stab and have a lot of cloak left, your only option is to cloak and run and hide to wait for your cloak to recharge, rather than cloaking, grabbing some ammo, and be ready with a near full charge again.

I happen to doubt that I will be using the new invisi-watches, as the "old" one seems much more useful...
But regardless, I feel there are a few things I should point out, 1st standing still and rebuilding your cloak is essentially how it was done before they updated with the ability to pick up ammo. And the usefulness of the standing still watch depends entirely on just how fast it re-charges, and I don't mean fast enough that it can even out the usage of it. The only way I can see it really being useful is if you can actually charge your cloak while invisible.

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
Other game sites/gamers keep saying that the spy update will not include the sniper items previously mentioned. That it was all a large spoof on us. Has there been any official release or word that its a duel update as I hope?

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
By the wording, it's even possible that when you stand still, it regenerates while cloaked.

This was the assumption I was making about the watch. The update says, "Be invisible forever" and "So long as you stand still, your cloak will regenerate indefinitely."

So the idea I get is that a Spy could cloak in their spawn room, run as far as the cloaking will allow them, and then stop before they run out. Then as they stand there, invisible and watching the fight, their cloak regenerates until they can run even further. If this is true, a spy would only ever need to decloak just before stabbing and sapping, provided he got to his destination in a piecemeal fashion. I'm sure that veteran spies would prefer the quickness and mobility of the original cloaking watch with its ammo pickup, but this new watch is a lot nicer to the crappy spies, which I'm sure we'll see a lot more of.

Now, this is kind of changing the subject, but with the Dead Ringer, what do you suppose happens if the spy is set on fire? Do they keep burning as their fake body falls to the ground? Or does the body burn as the invisible real spy runs free? I know nobody knows for sure yet, but I wonder what people think.

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
Just to clarify louie, you DO know that fastlane was the first custom map VALVe made official right?

i did not actually, i figured it wasn't since a new version was just relased that it was still hoping to be picked.....that's unfortunate

whatever, i've been proven wrong at worse things :p

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
i did not actually, i figured it wasn't since a new version was just relased that it was still hoping to be picked.....that's unfortunate

whatever, i've been proven wrong at worse things :p

I believe it was (if not only, mostly) down to optimisation. Adding in areaportals or something.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
There's a rumor going around that Labor got picked to be the next community map.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I believe it was (if not only, mostly) down to optimisation. Adding in areaportals or something.

And some slight redesign of the last CP (which did not help at all) plus some detailing in that area.

There's a rumor going around that Labor got picked to be the next community map.

Oh dear... I hope not. It's decent, I guess, but I would never ever put Labor above any other popular custom 5-CP map - even Fastlane, which I quite like. There's just nothing special about it, and the scale feels so...tiny.

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
the thing that stands out to me reguarding labor is the white house between the 2nd and middle point... looks like the quality of mapping I did in junior high when I was trying to make my house... needs to be larger, more detail imo

could also be texture choice...

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
I hope Valve are making a surprise move with the community maps and take Waste, Halfacre or Yukon - or actually, just a good map :p

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
hopefully if they do take labor, they polish it and make it seem finished... hopefully they don't choose maps based on popularity... would hate to see cp_orange_x3 as an official map... I think I would have to /ragequit

Apr 19, 2009
hopefully if they do take labor, they polish it and make it seem finished... hopefully they don't choose maps based on popularity... would hate to see cp_orange_x3 as an official map... I think I would have to /ragequit
I know someone who e-mailed Robin Waker about orange_x and he said that is was more of a map template that people can build off of to start them mapping. However, he also said that it was a very bad map. Now if it is FPSBannana picking the next community map...

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
I didn't expect they would, but I also don't think labor is ready, seems unfinished to me :p