Thanks for standin still, wanker.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

I would like to point out here how many people use those weapons: http://tf2stats.net/items/

Obviously people are getting them on a fairly regular basis. If that many people are using them it's not too difficult to imagine how many have them but are not using them.

I really have no idea what to say to you. You want those items to be just given to you or, as you seem to be implying, guaranteed to you in some way. I see little purpose in that because it is statistically true that you WILL get them at some point. It might take a long time, but you will. In the mean time, those "tactical advantages" are very minimal, very situational, and almost never happen.

Hell, I don't have the Chocolate, Pain Train, or Homewrecker yet and I have no desire to have them because I would never use them and I have yet to have been presented into a situation where I would find them useful. Gunboats I have but I only use to jump around my maps to test how rocket jumping effects my maps. In game, I just don't use them. They're far too situational and the other soldier weapons are significantly more useful at every point in the game.

Only thing I can suggest is... don't be frustrated? Have patience, play the game with what you have, and you'll get them eventually. All frustration will melt away.

You don't seem to be willing to accept the fact that the problem has nothing to do with those who have the weapons, but those who don't. Just because a bug in steam effects a small number of people does not mean its better for Valve to ignore it.

Just because a large majority of people have acquired the weapons does not make it acceptable that the system is still failing others. What makes it worse is that the flaws become less apparent over time because chances are that players will acquire them at some point. But that's just it, chance doesn't garauntee anything. Over time i should acquire one of these weapons, but that doesn't mean i will, like you state. I've been waiting for the gunboots for 4 months and you're telling me i should be patient? Being dismissive about it is not healthy debating either. Just because you don't care, nor have found the weapons useful does not mean that that's true for all people. All weapons are situational, and play styles increase/decrease the occurance of those situations.

In the mean time, those "tactical advantages" are very minimal, very situational, and almost never happen.

I have the pain train and as a soldier i use it all the time now, it's a great alternative melee that benefits my play style. I use it in almost all aspects of TF2 other than ctf.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i still have not gotten the pain train or homewrecker, and im not really in a rush to get em either.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
I think I have got more unlocks with this new system, but I still don't have chocolate bar for heavy.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You don't seem to be willing to accept the fact that the problem has nothing to do with those who have the weapons, but those who don't. Just because a bug in steam effects a small number of people does not mean its better for Valve to ignore it.

Just because a large majority of people have acquired the weapons does not make it acceptable that the system is still failing others. What makes it worse is that the flaws become less apparent over time because chances are that players will acquire them at some point. But that's just it, chance doesn't garauntee anything. Over time i should acquire one of these weapons, but that doesn't mean i will, like you state. I've been waiting for the gunboots for 4 months and you're telling me i should be patient? Being dismissive about it is not healthy debating either. Just because you don't care, nor have found the weapons useful does not mean that that's true for all people. All weapons are situational, and play styles increase/decrease the occurance of those situations.

wait a second, are you saying that there is an explicit bug that is preventing you from getting them or just the unlikely dice rolls still are working against you?

They are two very different things. One needs to be addressed, the other should be.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Giving weapons ONLY through the random drop system is dumb, period. Pain Train, Chocolate, Homewrecker and Gunboats should just be tied to one of the old milestones as well.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
wait a second, are you saying that there is an explicit bug that is preventing you from getting them or just the unlikely dice rolls still are working against you?

They are two very different things. One needs to be addressed, the other should be.

I'm saying the system should be revised because it's not working. There are weapons that are supposed to be available to players and they are still not available to some many months later because of the random factor; players cannot get them without them falling in their lap at some undesignated point in time. Crafting increases that chance to a one off 50/50 but still does not mean you'll ever get a pair. If crafting could garauntee a specific weapon, not just a weapon for X slot, "randomness" would be less intrusive.

For example, i could get a 50/50 chance of getting gunboots (assuming i passed the the X% chance of getting 4 soldier drops for a token and 4 secondary weapon drops for a slot token) using 27 drops in total, or garauntee gunboots using 40-50 (or how ever many seems fair).

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I personally am LOVING the new drop system, I've got 6 items already without idling (although I was mapping, which is similar to idling), compared to the 2 items I've got over the past 3 weeks while playing quite intensively. Because of that I could finally craft a hat (one which I'm very pleased with)

I do however think the drop system should be more inclined to drop items that you don't have, so you've got a better chance of attaining everything

Jan 20, 2010

I have the pain train and as a soldier i use it all the time now, it's a great alternative melee that benefits my play style. I use it in almost all aspects of TF2 other than ctf.

I have little sympathy for you or other people who feel they are in an unfair situation. You just sound impatient. You've been waiting for the gunboats for 4 months, and YES, I am telling you to be patient. I'm not sure WHAT to debate, that is the nature of statistical drop systems. What you want WILL drop, you just have to wait for it.

I'll give you that the pain train can be useful, but more useful than the equalizer? Maybe in very few situations. But that's not the point, the point was that the weapons that rely on chance give the user very little advantage over the enemy team. That is their intention and why they are left up to chance.

I'm sorry if I sound dismissive, as I likely am, but I can't argue against you thinking a system based on chance is unfair. I don't think it is. And with the new drop system, and crafting, there's even more of a chance to get what you want. Either be patient or keep complaining.

And if it makes you feel any better, it seems Valve is already addressing your concern so perhaps it's time to let it go.

We're still thinking about how to allow you to influence your drops.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
And if it makes you feel any better, it seems Valve is already addressing your concern so perhaps it's time to let it go.

Let what go? You say that like i have a grudge. If a system is flawed, then it's flawed. I'm only saying that the random drop system is punishing some players for no reason other than the fact that it's the nature of "random" drops (in addition to a low rate), which makes it a bad system. I'm an example of that fact.

If you don't think it's cruel that some players cannot open up all the tactical oppotunities of these alternative weapons in several months, then that's your opinion. However there are players suffering from it, and the proof is that people are complaining, and Valve are finally considering ways of fixing it.

Just because you havn't suffered from it, and/or nor care about the aspects of the game this concerns, does not make it ok; particularly when other players are "dealing" with the negative ramifications this imposes on them. The pain train only came out a few weeks ago, i got it the first day (in 2 minutes, even) after the update, if i saw a player 4 months later who still didn't have it after hundreds of hours of play, i would still be objective enough to realise there was an issue with the weapon distribution system.

It's my opinion that the fact players are suffering from not being able to acquire certain gear is a bad thing. There's not really any way to "let it go" until this scenario is resolved (which hopefully it will be) or declared a new function of TF2's weapon mechanics (in which case i imagine it would lose a number of its player base). If you don't care about the alternative weapons, nor whether you ever get one, fine. But this is still having a negative impact on TF2 players regardless of your acknowledgement. Valve have apparently acknowledged it, which just goes to show it's not a "negligable" issue fixed by a little more than a reasonable amount of patience.

P.S. I'm not after your sympathy, i'm after a pair of gunboots.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Let what go? You say that like i have a grudge. If a system is flawed, then it's flawed. I'm only saying that the random drop system is punishing some players for no reason other than the fact that it's the nature of "random" drops (in addition to a low rate), which makes it a bad system. I'm an example of that fact.

And I'm saying Valve seems to be trying to fix that. So, as I said, maybe it's time to let it go and wait until they do.