• Yes

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 24.0%

• Total voters
Aug 19, 2008
we have the privilege to not be a multigaming/content site, therefore not any kid floods in and litters the forums with useless internet slang, and all of our moderators have an easier way to apply an ediquette of friendlyness on this page.

there is just tons of human waste waiting in the gameworld to state whatever comes out of their whorish mouths, and we should be glad they don´t flood our community and feel more attracted to the steaming banana turd forums.

i keep away from the fps-forums, so the only concern is the worlds worst navigation
the page would need a complete overhaul to be acceptable

although it´s weird that so many people hit banana for downloading, but never care to leave a comment. until this day, there are just a handful of constructive comments.

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I see fpsbanana as a place to put your map up for DL....but that's about it. I wouldn't ever waste any time browsing the site or anything. (after having done so enough to decide to do that).

The thing is...nothing is really stopping the masses of idiots from flooding these forums with their stupidity...and you have to wonder if the donations and ad revenue increased because of it...what would this site become?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I see fpsbanana as a place to put your map up for DL....but that's about it. I wouldn't ever waste any time browsing the site or anything. (after having done so enough to decide to do that).

The thing is...nothing is really stopping the masses of idiots from flooding these forums with their stupidity...and you have to wonder if the donations and ad revenue increased because of it...what would this site become?

That's a really baseless assumption you've got there. We've got some really responsible admins/moderators from stopping 'idiots' as you called them, from trolling this site.

We have never had a rule in place to reject any content from the site. If its bad, the responses will be low and the submission will die. We do however, moderate the site as best we can to avoid having tf2maps.net turning in to fpsbanana2.com

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Not at all. Best mappers I know are on FPS Banana. Also FPS Banana is a great resource site and it was the best mapping/modding site some years ago.

Thing is FPS Banana is now full of kids doing fullbright maps and all the stuff and the rating system sucks. But it's not the root of evil

Last edited:

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
That's a really baseless assumption you've got there.

baseless assumptions are how I roll D:

Just because something is stupid doesn't mean the thread will die..there's probably a couple hear already I could link to in order to illustrate...but if you had a large influx of immature people you'd probably have to have stricter definitions of what was and wasn't allowed and/or more moderators...

In any event, a large influx of immature posters would either change the site, or change how you run it..

fpsb might have not started out as the cesspool it is today...and as this site gains popularity we should keep that in mind

^that was the point I was trying to make

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
baseless assumptions are how I roll D:

Just because something is stupid doesn't mean the thread will die..there's probably a couple hear already I could link to in order to illustrate...but if you had a large influx of immature people you'd probably have to have stricter definitions of what was and wasn't allowed and/or more moderators...

In any event, a large influx of immature posters would either change the site, or change how you run it..

fpsb might have not started out as the cesspool it is today...and as this site gains popularity we should keep that in mind

^that was the point I was trying to make
ah, then we both agree. :)

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I have spent the last 3 hours trying to get my map uploaded at fpsbanana...

I'm beyond frustrated right now. Their server keeps loosing connection and timing out, then I have to go back and fill in all the links! :cursing:

As a mapper, I hate interacting with the site itself.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
FPSBanana is a great website and full of useful resources. I can find prefabs and model replacers for almost anything (to an extent).

Of course, from a TF2Maps perspective, I must say the mapper scene on that site isn't too great. Peoples' fullbright Half-Life singleplayer maps need some place to get exposure, but it certainly is a stark contrast to this community which is a bit more involved. Oh well. That's what you get with such a big website. It's still not that bad, though.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
i have spent the last 3 hours trying to get my map uploaded at fpsbanana...

I'm beyond frustrated right now. Their server keeps loosing connection and timing out, then i have to go back and fill in all the links! :cursing:

As a mapper, i hate interacting with the site itself.

yes

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Terrible Design
Way too much crappy shit and CS:S weapon skins
Terrible Rating System
Really Small Comments
People are about as smart as Steam Forums
Terrible Design
Mirrors and Tons of exposure.

So while I do hate it it's guts it is necessary for the exposure that all maps need.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I feel i also have to point out in addition to Pepper's pointing out of the moderator's as a wall to idiot's; the site is fairly well looked after by its members as well. Especially the most regular of regulars whom have a tendancy to be quite vigilante to trash... trashing up their home, and who can blame them?

As far as my experience goes, the only time a "bad" thread wont die is when the old "elitist construction vs gameplay" arguement comes out the hat. Which is also the only time i've ever seen moderator's intervene on the grounds of off-topic discussion. (Though there have been the odd unique circumstance over the years, i wont deny).

The TF2maps community pretty much looks after itself and it's a rare occasion indeed when a moderator actually has to step in and use his authority.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
I had to reformat my computer after visiting fps bananas's site about 4 months ago because I picked up like 15 virus/worms/trojans from thier advertising. So now I avoid it unless I have to go thier to upload something which is rare. I think the site cleaned up thier dirty ad's though because I havent been reinfected.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I the only time a "bad" thread wont die is when the old "elitist construction vs gameplay" arguement comes out the hat.

These arguments are pretty much the only time when people really get pissed and trolling occurs. That's why I love this site. The only drama happens when we intensely debate the game we love and play.

*hugs TF2Maps.net*

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
As a person who runs 2 custom map servers, regularly adds new maps and uses an in game rating system to determine which maps stay in the rotation I am much more likely to come to this site for maps. I allow anyone to post a map on my forum and I will put it into my play test day for a rating. I do get maps posted on FPS B and I do add them, I just rarely go there to seek new maps out for myself.

It seems to me that most if not all of the really good maps are posted on this site. I am also fairly confident that if I add a map to my server from this site and post feedback on this site that the map will get updated and I will be able to see the map improve. I don't even bother posting comments on FPS B because a lot of the time shit gets posted there and then the people stop working on it.

As far as finding something specific, FPS B makes me want to puke. The result order is absolutely ridiculous. Not that all the archived stuff around here isn't complicated to search through, I just know about what is archived by the title from experience.

FPS B is like the 4chan of the mapping community. Yeah a lot of people will see it but you can't expect anything valuable or useful to come from their members.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Let me just put it this way:

I decided to never return to FPSB after seeing how stupid, arrogant and unfriendly pretty much everyone around there is.

Example: I reviewed a random skin for the hell of it (trying to be nice and give feedback), and I gave it around 8. I was the first person to not give it 10/10, and perhaps not surprisingly, the creator launched a great attack at my review, immediately appealing it and raging about my review apparently not making sense. I made a few other honest reviews, and sure enough, the story repeated itself.

So what do we learn? Stay away from the douchebags.

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
*shrugs* Such is public opinion. You're going to get that the moment you create anything ever and the public gets a look-in.

FPSBanana may be full of fools and trolls, but it is still the hub for TF2 maps.

So, like the original poster said, I use this for help + community, FPSBanana for the audience.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I suppose people just expect finished maps there.

Even so, some of the more mature comments can still be way off. I've seen some "attempts" at real feedback that have been way off the ball. They just don't know what they're talking about; they either don't map themselves or just don't understand the principles involved in the game mechanics of TF2.

Their idea of fun usually conflicts with working gameplay/flow and even if it's not a gimmick suggestion, there's a good 10 reasons why what they have suggested isn't there already.

I'll save my involvement with FPSB until a final release and stick with development advise from the people who know what they're talking about.