TF2maps presents: The Pacific Pack!

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
@Beetle: There is most definitely a noticeable difference between regular wood and bamboo plies; The thing is, though, those differences may not be noticeable once they've been painted in the TF2 style.

would it be a noticeable difference to someone who isn't comparing them or doesn't even know the difference? I imagine that'd be most people, but maybe I'm alone and everyone besides me is a wood connoisseur:p

Oct 6, 2008
It's not very triangle heavy, the 1st LOD is 2,496 tris and 2nd LOD has 1052. That doesn't seem like alot. The 1st LOD is a beveled version of the 2nd and looks better. If you want i can decrease the distance it takes for the LODs to switch, and decreasing the CPU load. Also, i think decreasing the amount of bars on one side would make it look out of proportion.
The axis with more bars has around 4 for every 1 on the other axis and that's what i followed.
UOSsomjl.jpg

jf3Pa3Xl.jpg

If you want i could make a third LOD that decreases the number of bars. :)

I think that yours looks weird because yours is a rectangle and sewers are square.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Just post the shaded wireframe version of the model, there has to be a severe issue if it has more than a couple hundred polygons.

SyntheticSauce

L1: Registered
Jun 23, 2012
I tried making a model that had 332 tris but used a cheap trick that made two faces occupy one space which makes some graphical issues as i expected. Here's a picture with my original model with 1052 tris on the left, the 332 tri model in the middle and my original model on the right in HLMV.
http://imgur.com/I8FUkFi
If you guys actually read my original post, the 2,496 tri model was a the highest LOD, but i can take that one out.
EArkham, can you please explain how i could make this model with only 152 tris?
Kill_The_Bug, i made my sewer grates rectangular because i have seen several in parking lots and concrete areas that rectangular.
Sorry if i sound moody, but it seems like all i get on these forums is criticism that isn't very constructive. In both my posts with models most people just stated the problems in them. Other people post models and get thanks, and i all get is people nitpicking all the problems with my work :(
I understand that i'm not as good as talented as other people on here but please if your going to say there is a problem with my work, please offer a solution also so i can learn and not just feel bad at modeling :/

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Bamboo walls may look like wood in real life, but we could easily make a good looking bamboo texture that people would be able to identify as such. I'd do it, but i'll be in murica for another two weeks and a half.

nah I'm sure bamboo walls don't, but bamboo flooring -- from what I've seen at least -- does.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I tried making a model that had 332 tris but used a cheap trick that made two faces occupy one space which makes some graphical issues as i expected. Here's a picture with my original model with 1052 tris on the left, the 332 tri model in the middle and my original model on the right in HLMV.
http://imgur.com/I8FUkFi
If you guys actually read my original post, the 2,496 tri model was a the highest LOD, but i can take that one out.
EArkham, can you please explain how i could make this model with only 152 tris?
Kill_The_Bug, i made my sewer grates rectangular because i have seen several in parking lots and concrete areas that rectangular.
Sorry if i sound moody, but it seems like all i get on these forums is criticism that isn't very constructive. In both my posts with models most people just stated the problems in them. Other people post models and get thanks, and i all get is people nitpicking all the problems with my work :(
I understand that i'm not as good as talented as other people on here but please if your going to say there is a problem with my work, please offer a solution also so i can learn and not just feel bad at modeling :/

Ok, to begin with a prop of this size and purpose can't have too many tris, we're talking anything over like 300-400 is out of the question.

Your attempt at 322 tris is probably the right way to do it, but with a tiny modification. You said you got overlapping textures (z-fighting) as you'd expect, the solution is to just make all the blocks in one direction a fraction smaller than the others. So little that it is impossible to tell.
Then to get even lower tri counts you reduce the size of the grate/make the holes larger, whatever suits you.

here's a shitty mspaint picture if that didn't make sense
Screenshot-2013-07-26_12.07.29.png

Using "cheap tricks" like this is how you make models for source, it's a old engine and you have to realize that no one will see any difference, and if they DO they won't care. But people will care if the map starts to lag because you're rendering out 2400 extra useless triangles every frame you're near this prop.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Ravidge - question for you on your image there:

What would happen if you took the lighter squares and brought them in mote so that they are totally enclosed by the dark rectangle?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Also @SyntheticSauce, you've still got the beams connected at the sides, giving you a TON more polys than you actually need.

Burry the ends of the long beams in the side beams the same way you did with the short beams.

You should be able to make that grate in 152 polys.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
idk if thats even the right number of grates, its just to make a point

12 poly
MQPBLBd.png

72 poly
o5h.png

156 poly
8cd1yE8.png

7Hb4g3O.png

Last edited:

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
What's everyone's thoughts on using hammer to make models (with propper) instead of blender.
I'm not very good with blender but if it proves to be better i'll give it a shot

Not really worth using Propper imo. You can use Blender, or student licenses of 3D Max or Softimage (not sure if Maya has a student license but it probably does) for free.

The flexibility and capability ANY of those 3D suites offers is so far beyond what Propper can do, and there are so many tutorials available online now that it's not very difficult to learn the basics in a real modeling program.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
What's everyone's thoughts on using hammer to make models (with propper) instead of blender.
Mine is that it isn't working right now, so don't bother. That said, the free non-comm version of 3D Studio Max (I refuse to acknowledge when a product has been renamed after what lazy typists on the Internet called it) is easier to learn and work with than Blender and has a rather sophisticated plugin called Wall Worm Model Tools that makes compiling into a working Source model easy.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
That said, the free non-comm version of 3D Studio Max (I refuse to acknowledge when a product has been renamed after what lazy typists on the Internet called it)
I'm terrible with hints, what version are you talking about? the 30 day trial one?
Sorry for derailing the thread in advance

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
I'm terrible with hints, what version are you talking about? the 30 day trial one?
Sorry for derailing the thread in advance

He just means he refuses to call it 3DS max...for whatever reason. but it definitely does have a free student version, in case that was unclear. As long as it's not for commercial use, you get full access to everything.