TF2maps presents: The Pacific Pack!

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
A bit colorful given the usual tf2 style.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
So, what's the current status of this pack? I haven't seen around much but from what i've noticed the maps have all stagnated and stopped being worked on? I'd love to hear different

For my case, i'm taking my time to invent the building technique needed for my map. I've never made a tc map before after all, and nobody has ever created a 13-cp tc map like mine.

Whether i can finish mine in time, i cannot say. I sure hope so tho :p

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
For my case, i'm taking my time to invent the building technique needed for my map. I've never made a tc map before after all, and nobody has ever created a 13-cp tc map like mine.

Whether i can finish mine in time, i cannot say. I sure hope so tho :p

I forgot how you were managing 13 CPs. Are you Teleporting them around the map, and having the outputs from CP triggers going into fancy logic machines that put the output in the right place?

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
I use a modified version of ABS's tc prefab, which does indeed teleport control points around, while managing which rounds are available for choosing with math_counters.

It's got some minor flaws atm because i haven't yet defined what happens if a team caps the mid poit, but the timer runs out before either can capture each others final points.

What really bugs me, however, is not the entity setup, but the fact that i have to build the level in some pretty odd directions.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Speaking personally, i'm waiting on the MVM server to recover for testing. I know Frozen and Aly are still at work on theirs, and Schwa's is nearly finished.

FYI, we do actually have an operable MvM server running at: eu.tf2maps.net:27016 which shares a map folder with the other EU server (so the uploader works for it), I just never bothered announcing it.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
This situation is, by the way, exactly what the "core" of mappers was for, and exactly why we weren't willing to put a direct time limit on it.

Iirc, when we first started this, we even said 'we either need to cram everything out before fall or just not put in a deadline' ... since we're all students or teachers. Perhaps once we all get into a routine, we'll get more solid dates down.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
1IfIgD0.png

So what do you think? Both of my creations so far in one picture. I think I might make a "BLU" version of the pot...maybe something squarer.

BTW the pot is 606 tris.

One question, though: Why does my normal map seem to not exist? I baked those rings around the pot but they don't appear to have depth at all. Or is that just as good as it gets?

edit: update: I took the first pic in-game with fullbright. of course it wouldn't have normals. >< thanks sgt frag, for stating what should be obvious.

So did this actually turn out worse with normals than with not? I'm thinking it doesn't need them now....looks less TF2-y. (ignore the imperfect lighting, and for that matter, the plant)
dQVc9I7.png

Last edited:

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
I give up with the breakables. I did everything it asked, and when I did, it just went completely invisible. too much wasted time for a feature that's rarely used in tf2!

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Anyone got any ideas for something simple to model?
I know it's a little lazy to ask for ideas, but I've got a creativity block